Help! Curious about Zonegran !

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

stuartbungle

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi
not sure this is the right place for this post, but here goes - I was interested to know, and I have spent along time looking but unsuccessfully but does Zonegran potentailly cause headaches / migraines, just been taking this for a while (defo past the stage of the getting to know you effects) and periodically just get left side head pain, nothing really touches it (tried hydration, fizzy magnesium tablets, Aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, Codeine and uh etc) have also read Zonisamide is used to treat head pain migraines etc, (I really see the humour in this) Quite sure its not NSAID abuse (me taking to many, as I'm hardcore and will put up with head pain, without the use of medication)
Thought welcome
Thank you in Advance!

Hello. I'm using Zonisamide/Zonegran along with Topiramate--400mg of each daily.. I don't believe it causes headaches/migraines. I have been taking it for a few years now, had to switch to it from Vimpat due to cost. I still get breakthrough simple &/or complex partial seizures--1 to 3 per month.

My Mom's been on it for falling seizures, for YEARS and it has helped her reasonably well. I don't think that I remember her ever complaining from any side effects. Obviously what about a phone call to the neuro's office (or even your pharmacist - they don't mind at ALL, but they'll probably tell you to get with your neurologist since they'll be the one(s) who know you the best). Everybody responds differently to these poisons that they give us to help with our issues, and the ways that we respond to them can even change if we take them long enough, right? So what if you simply call your Doctor or Team, see what they say about it?

I had a lot of problems with Zonegran. It did cause headaches for me, but I think that's because I wasn't eating enough (Zonegran can act as an appetite suppressant). I only lasted 6 months on it because of the physical and cognitive side effects.

Back
Top Bottom