Hi All

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crtebb

New
Reaction score
Hi all

My name is Craig.

i am a 31 year old male living in Kent, England. I have had epilepsy since i was 19 years old (i was confirmed during my first year at university). Doctors never really told me why it started just said it is common in men of my age and can disappear by your mid 20's (it didn't)

from 2003 (19 years old) to 2013 I only ever had attacks when i was asleep so it didn't really cause any major impact on my life other that making me really tired for a few days after.

recently however it seems to have changed. i have had 3 attacks in the last 3 years the first whilst i was awake at work (brought on by stress i think) the second in October 2014 (also at work) finally i had an attack on Friday whilst i was a passenger in a car.

this latest episode I take to be my own fault as I forgot to take my medication. however I have now got muscle/back pains far stronger that i have had before. Saturday and Sunday I wouldn't walk and only get out of bed with great excruciating pain. it is now a lot better but i am unable to stand without difficulty or walk more than a few steps without shooting pain at the top of my right leg/ hip area, going up by back and down my right leg.

Any advice on how to get rid of this pain would be great, it has stopped my life and I haven't been able to leave the house for 4 days.

Crtebb

I never knew it could disappear in your mid twenty's, like you said stress has a lot to do with our seizures. Its very easy do damage I have done much the same, I have found out it takes awhile for the muscles in you back to heal we use them so much, also you might want to get it cheeked in case you put a disc out. A Physical Therapist should be able to help you with this.

A firm mattress was suggested to me and it has done a great job also lying on the hard floor for 15 minuets, with your arms by your side and your knees bent.

Hello Crtebb!

My seizures started when I was 7, and at 21 my doc said the same thing, "some people outgrow your type of seizures." NOT! Unfortunately it seems there is more they do not know than there is that they do know about this. Don't know how or why mine started, either. Doesn't really matter, they're here to stay (I'm in my 50s now).

I agree with FedUp, this needs a Physical Therapist. Back issues are tricky.

My only question is when you have a seizure, is your back involved somehow? Do the muscles in your back get affected by each seizure? If so, and if you're continuing to have night seizures, then this could be making it worse. Just a thought.

Also, what is your chair like at work? Do you have great posture when sitting, or do you slouch badly like I do? That could be another source keeping you in back pain.

hello craig,

I developed arthritis in my back because of seizures, and I had one doc say it was normal wear and tear of the back and I corrected him. I've gone down in sz's all my life like 50t years.

Saturday and Sunday I wouldn't walk and only get out of bed with great excruciating pain. it is now a lot better but i am unable to stand without difficulty or walk more than a few steps without shooting pain at the top of my right leg/ hip area, going up by back and down my right leg.

Any advice on how to get rid of this pain would be great, it has stopped my life and I haven't been able to leave the house for 4 days.

I had problems very similar like this and I don't' know if it started before or after I had epilepsy.

It turned out that I had two herniated disk and had to have screws put in my back, that was the only thing that made the pain go away.

It might be a good idea to see a doctor who deals with back pain to find out if you might have any problems like that I had.

Last edited:
I think pain that radiates to the legs ("sciatica") is usually a sign that you should get it checked out, just in case it's something that should be treated. I have radiating pain/numbness from arthritis, stenosis and some herniated discs. The doctors said I was too young for these problems! But treatment and learning better body mechanics (how to sleep, get out of bed, lift things up) has helped me quite a bit.

Wow sorry to hear about your suffering... first of all I just want to give you a great big (but gentle) hug...so here :hugs:

My "E" started when I was 14 and I am also 31...mine was assumed to be genetic however I have a cyst in my brain (right temporal lobe) which may or may not be the cause and/or contributing to my symptoms...again...who really knows (except God)...but yeah I have "J.M.E." (Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy) with "C.P.S." (Complex Partial Symptoms) (along with a list of "mental disorders"...which I won't even get into...no point) I don't really believe in some of these "labels" as believing in something gives it more power...in this case we are constantly at war with the illusion of "diagnosis"...kind of ironic isn't it? but not just physical...but mental and spiritual also...in other words...an "E"rroneous belief system implanted as a test of faith and the willpower to fight...

We are here with "E" temporarily...not for "E"ternity...

I will pray for you my friend...and leave you with this...

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walketh about seeking whom he may devour...

Last edited:
Hi Craig, welcome to CWE. This forum was made by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

My seizures started when I was 6 years old, 1949. It is genetic. I was told that I would outgrow it by the time I was 16. My sister has epilepsy, too. She went into remission when she was 16. I use the word remission because it can come back at any age and go away for a long time.

My sister's went away when she was 16. It came back with a vengance when she was in her 70's.

If your E goes away, keep track of when it goes. Then, if it is gone long enough, you might be able to get your driver's license back. I don't know what the laws are in England.

Hi Carig, just want to add my welcome to the others', and agree that seeing a Physical Therapist may help you figure out the extent and location of the back damage, as well as ways to help with recovery.

Back
Top Bottom