Hi from "the wife"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Austin3

New
Reaction score
My husband has had his seizures under control since we moved in together 18 years ago, so I've had little need for help. He's got a seizure disorder from forceps damage to the brain stem, not epilepsy. He is a disaster right now and I could use some advice.

His last episode was when our oldest was 6 months old, rotten little bugger didn't sleep, and that's a trigger for him. When he had that seizure his doctor took him off dilantin and put him on lamictal. It was an easy transition, no problems.

Earlier this year his neurologist dumped him because of an insurance switch. Basically, done with you, find someone else.

In the past 8 years there has not been an eeg, brain scan or blood test run by this doctor. Blood tests were done every 6 months for the dilantin, but nothing else, which I assumed was normal because of no seizures.

Two years ago hubby broke out in hives, the allergist couldn't pinpoint anything, chalked it up to stress. I suggested that it was the lamictal, asked repeatedly for hubby to look into it, BTW.

About three weeks ago, the hives started up again. He woke up one morning with lips that put Angelina Jolie's to shame. Off the the ER and got a shot of steroids. Found a new neurologist (not discussing that he went 8 months without one, GRRR) who is switching him from the Lamictal to Keppra.

The withdrawal is awful for him.You read about it, he's having it. He looks stoned, can't focus, is crawling in his skin - I'm watching closely. He is however MUCH friendlier. None of the lamicatal nasty-grams lately. He's weened off from 1000mg a day, and stopped totally today. The Dr. pushed up the transition because of the side effects and continued rash - which I believe is lamictal toxicity.

I wanted to know if anyone had advice on how to help him through and how Keppra works for controlling seizures. And also, what I should expect a doctor to do during visits - should they be more than annual. Something wasn't done along the way here and that's not happening again on my watch. TIA!

~Angela

My main two worries:
He will need lots of sleep while transitioning.
Research Kepprage. It is a side effect of the Keppra.

I don't have and never had many other side effects from Keppra.

This is the short version. I'm sure others will step in to give you their epxeriences.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you! That helps. He's coming home early today and I'm trying to keep him home tomorrow. He's not in a job that it's easy to take time off. :/

I've been on lamictal for about 12 or so years now, 400 mg per day. My partial szs are not well controlled, but whenever we try to raise the dose I get incredibly drowsy, sleepy. almost unable to function. I was on keppra for a short time and felt mentally horrible. Very depressed, felt like I wanted to kill myself. Same with zonegran. I took trileptal for about 6 months and the whole time I was nauseated, had a sore stomach and gastrointestinal problems. I was on dilantin for 15 after I was first diagnosed and went from that to the lamictal when I started having trouble with my gums.
I guess I don't have any real advice about meds, but there are lots of people in my situation who don't tolerate meds well and have to keep trying. You should have regular follow-ups with your neurologist to monitor the whole med thing until he gets stable on something. I'm probably going to have a VNS implanted soon to try to control the partial and subclincal seizures, which are really starting to mess up my short-term memory. It's a good thing he didn't have more serious problems with the lamictal rash. That can be life-threatening. Best of luck! Let us know how things go.

Thank you so much! Any info is so helpful. I've been relaying some things to him, and he feels a lot better knowing he's not alone in feeling like this.

The busy job may be a good thing. Although he WILL be tired, keeping busy may help quite a bit. Expect a crash when he gets off work. Straight into the bed.

I work three jobs right now and staying busy helps me. I'm also pretty hyper as well.

I'm on 1000 mgs. of Keppra daily. 500 first thing in the morning and 500 with dinner. I have not had a seizure, episode, spell..... since 2008. Granted I've been thru a lot of personal changes. Not working in the school system (lots of stress) Moving closer to my kids and grandkids. Taking care of my 2 year old grandson. Getting enough sleep. Eating and exercising. Walk the little one everyday. So I'm doing pretty well.
I am going to be trying to lower my dosage of Keppra over Christmas break but will consult with my dr. and trying the Ketogenic diet.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Good Luck! Glad you are helping your hubby. It is a tremendous help when another person can assist you with this situation.
M

Back
Top Bottom