Hi, I had a benign tumor on my amygdala

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dnet

New
Reaction score
I’m a 30 years old male from Istanbul. I lived with a benign brain tumor (dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor) located within my left amygdala for at least ten years without knowing, and had it diagnosed and removed in July 2013, with no additional radio/chemotherapy. (I was having strong partial seizures with smell auras.) I’m mostly okay now – my excellent name/word memory is gone, and I’m sometimes having auras and simple partial seizures, weak but lasting for about 40 minutes.

You can read/see the details on my blog: brainissues.wordpress.com

Last edited:
Hi dnet, welcome to CWE!

Are you on medication for seizure control at the moment? 40 minutes seems like a long time.

Hi Nakamova,

Yes, I'm on carbamazepine 800 mg/day, and it seems to have stopped the seizures with this dosage.

I’m a 30 years old male from Istanbul. I lived with a benign brain tumor (dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor) located within my left amygdala for at least ten years without knowing, and had it diagnosed and removed in July 2013, with no additional radio/chemotherapy. (I was having strong partial seizures with smell auras.) I’m mostly okay now – my excellent name/word memory is gone, and I’m sometimes having auras and simple partial seizures, weak but lasting for about 40 minutes.

ditto to most.

-am 35
-lived with a benign lesion, left amygdala as well
-was there my whole life then discovered in 2011
-had strong partial seizures as well (simples)
-surgery in 2013 as well (weeks after you did)
-my word memory is also quite bad... tho it has declined b/c they also took 1/3 of my hippocampus
-on carbamazepine as well, was always 800/day but increased to 1000 when lesion was discovered

Hi qtowngirl,

Parts of my left parahippocampal gyrus and hippocampus are gone too, so the memory problems are quite expected, although they're not too bad. Before surgery, I had an amazing name/word memory despite the tumor; it has declined post-op.

Do you have any seizure problems like the ones I'm describing here: brainissues.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/type-2-seizures-restarted/

Ah, the brain tumor seizure club. :0 My baseball sized tumor covered the whole left side of my brain, covering mostly the parietal lobe and some over the frontal lobe, covering the sensory strip and the motor strip. My seizure are complex partial to sometime generalized. On Average i'll have one a month, now it seems to be once every 1.5 months. My normal seizures start in my fingertips as numbness and tingling feelings, where i drop things in my right hand. Then it will creep up my fingers to my hand, then arm and shoulders, and jerking motions start as soon as the tingling reaches the hand, following the same order, i think that's what they call a jacksonian march. We'll every once in a blue moon, i'll get the generalized one with it. It sucks, but I just continue like all is normal. My tumor was taken out 8 yrs ago and luckily hasn't decide to return. I'll have my last biannual MRI next month, then my mri will be once a year. I could post some before and after pictures of my tumor, looks like a shark bite off 1/4 of my brain. 8 weeks after my surgery i was back at work and i'm still at the same job i was at when it was found. The way they found mine was from a grand mal i had at work. Which i thought was just a faint spell. Well that day i called the hospital and they told me to come to the emergency room right away. I got there like 5:30pm and at 10pm they come back to me to tell me i have a brain tumor. I was alone in the hospital ER, you can imagine what was going through my head at that time. They said it was so big i needed to have it out asap, otherwise i may go into a coma. Matter of fact they wouldn't let me leave the hospital unless if signed a bunch of paper work. I was taken to their medical facility that handles brain tumors that Monday night and by Wed evening i was having surgery. Lost like 1 liter of blood. Came out ok, i'm still here. wooo hooo.

Cheers,

:piano: :pop:

I got there like 5:30pm and at 10pm they come back to me to tell me i have a brain tumor. I was alone in the hospital ER, you can imagine what was going through my head at that time. They said it was so big i needed to have it out asap, otherwise i may go into a coma.

:( i cannot imagine, what a soldier!

:hugs:

Back
Top Bottom