[Info] Hormones and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

when I was going through menapause I was told by my neuro that hormones would increase my sz's.I put up with the hot flashes which was the effect I got of menopause.

Hormones have played a tremendous role in my situation. I first experienced auras when I was pregnant with my 3rd son and then full-blown episodes when I was going through menopause.
M

Yes, hormones have played a huge role in my epilepsy. I've gone to this website many times.

Ditto. First ever seizures during menses, first seizures and T-C after 5- year remission during pregnancy, lots of fun now during my period.

I have found hormones and mood swings big in changing with me from AED's It helps me a lot to supplement my diet with some things; i think its mostly minerals like zinc that make a big difference and i know AEDs can take that out of your system and prevent absorption of some of them. That will wreck your day (or libido )

I have found hormones and mood swings big in changing with me from AED's It helps me a lot to supplement my diet with some things; i think its mostly minerals like zinc that make a big difference and i know AEDs can take that out of your system and prevent absorption of some of them. That will wreck your day (or libido )

Zinc makes a difference?? I am supplementing with everything BUT zinc because it makes me nauseated--I just started Lamictal and I am having PMS from hell (sorry hope no guys are reading this), worst mood swings ever. I will add zinc if that helps, hadn't heard that one before!

Thank you for posting this. I brought it to my endocrinologist along with my latest EEG and it helped me.

I am having PMS from hell (sorry hope no guys are reading this), worst mood swings ever. I will add zinc if that helps, hadn't heard that one before!

Something that I was given many years ago was naproxen during that time of the month; zinc was never mentioned. I do realize this is an old post but I am quite interested in how you are doing now and how often you are taking zinc? If this is something that has been working for you please let me know as I am discovering for my situation things are getting a little overly active.:twocents:

I'm not going into seizures mind you but there's just a bit more warnings than I'd like there to be. At least when I wasn't going through the warning levels I was more comfy. Now that I am at the age I am I believe there must be some changes and I am running out of options for medication. I look forward to hearing a response in how zinc works for your situation. thanks! :pop:

I don't suffer from PMS myself, but the article at the link below talks about a study that found that both zinc supplements and foods fortified with iron may help with PMS symptoms. Interestingly, the study also found that Potassium made PMS symptoms worse. So if you are eating a lot of potassium-rich foods, you may want to adjust your diet accordingly.
http://www.livescience.com/27486-iron-zinc-premenstrual-syndrome.html

I never suffered from PMS I do have a sister who said she suffered from it; and I think it was just her personality hahaha.

Attempted using zinc during the month of activity and it did absolutely nothing - going to save it for cold season and go back to Naproxen when things were a bit easier to tolerate. :twocents:

Back
Top Bottom