How long does it be considered free from seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nicholas

New
Reaction score
I have not have a relapse for 4 years but I am still on medication ( Phenytoin 300gm,folic acid and b+ complex )
please advise!

I like to drink beer when I am off work. Is it advisable to take alchohol after 4 years without seizure. I still continue my 300g of phenytoin,folic acid and vitamin b+

Personally, I.....

don't think an OCCASIONAL beer hurts anything. But NOT on a regular basis. AED (anti-epileptic drug) medications are not made to mix with alcohol, and CAN lower the threshold for seizures.

Please check out the link that Bernard gave you. It's got a lot of important information in it. I WILL tell you that I have tried to do it before....and failed miserably. I think I went for about 3 months after weaning off and then had such a massive tonic clonic, I ended up in the hospital. And it was one that happened in my sleep. I scared the wits out of my husband, and he was used to them by then.

The other thing to consider is whether or not you still have seizure activity going on WHILE YOU'RE TAKING MEDS. What I mean is.........if on your most recent EEG, while still on meds, did you still show ANY KIND OF SEIZURE ACTIVITY?? SPIKES, WAVES, ETC?? That is something to consider....

Just some food for thought.........

Take care,

Meetz

I like to drink beer when I am off work. Is it advisable to take alchohol after 4 years without seizure. I still continue my 300g of phenytoin,folic acid and vitamin b+

We're all different & you'd know your body better than anyone else.

IMHO I think that it's doing things in excess that is most likely to provoke a problem.

If it were me, I'd take up a different habit (that is not likely to lower the seizure threshold).

Back
Top Bottom