How often does your neurologist want to see you?

How often does your neuro want to see you?

• every 1-3 months

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • every 4-6 months

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • every 7-12 months

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • every 12-18 months

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • doesn't see you regularly

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Only when there's trouble or a specific reason

Votes: 13 8.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
I'm curious how often most people see their neurologist or epi. So here's the poll.

Wasn't sure which box to check. If he adjusts my meds, it's 3 months. If meds haven't been adjusted, it's every 6 months.

And more to the point: How often do I want to see my neurologist? Never!

I actually see either the neurologist or the epilepsy nurse once or twice over the course of year, but I counted them as the same thing.

For the last 28 years I've been seeing my neurologist every 6 months with no probs. (so far)

Randy

We would like to go 6 months, but if I have a seizure, I usually see him soon after. Haven't gone a full 6 months yet. :(

SeizetheNight

Actually I'd say not often enough. I have a new neurologist after being in the hospital about a month or so ago and this neuro doesn't seem too interested. I'll give it time though. I did call 2 weeks ago to report an increase in memory loss and some blurred vision since I started taking Keppra along with my Carbamezapine but never got a call back. My keppra prescription ran out since they increased me to 2500mg/day and they said they sent in the prescription but never did. Can you sense I'm getting a little frustrated? (Maybe the kepprage is starting to kick in!! Oh Boy)
Neil

Neil...I would say it would be good to look around for another doc...he shouldn't be ignoring you!

Hi dfw,

Already started looking. She forgot to call in an order to the lab for blood work so that was the last straw. ARGH (funny, the lab didn't even have to ask her name, they said they could guess!)

It was every 10 weeks...she just changed it to every 6 weeks at my last appt.

I have an appointment with the neurologist every 6 months, but my nurse is always willing to talk if i give her a ring, and if there's anything needs to be done, she'll pass it on to the neurologist and get back to me. My epilepsy nurse is an amazing person.

Last edited:
Well I have not actually seen my neurologist for about 6 years now.
I don't remember how often I used to see him, I only know I had to go to the hospital once a week from the age of 4 till I was 10.

neurologist

Last saw one in 2003. My PCP prescribes my dilantin. The neuro from 2003 was as useful as wallpaper. Anyway, I have an appt. with a new one next month. don't expect anything spectacular. I want to get the usual tests since it has been 7 years since. Have been seizure free since then. I am having issues I would like to discuss, such as mood swings, depression. I am missing my ovaries; on dilantin for 30 years now; and now my thyroid is goin south on me. Should be fun. :bigsmile:

I don't get to see mine as often as i would like but I finally got an appointment for 8 July 2010:)

Up to almost annually now. Control isn't perfect, but it's stable. From what I've read, neurologists prefer imperfect control.

*coughing*

Ummmm. Like every 2-3 weeks, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. He deals with the pain issues for my back, balance issues and some other assorted things as well. Sometimes, it's twice in a week. *sigh*

Every 6 months for me. he only takes appointments on certain days so he's usually booked that far in advance. So I get to spend a total of 20 minutes a year talking to him.. Not much, but he's really nice, understanding and helpful. Also he lets me call him if I have any questions in between appointments.

I think my epileptologist doesn't like me anymore because I only take the meds I want to take in the doses I want to take them, and I am not interested in being tested for surgery anymore because it is 1) expensive and risky 2) has a slow recovery time and I am going to school 3) of my past two tests, the last one showed nothing and the other, imo, was flubbed by not doing a retake when I was scheduled to be in the hospital for 3 days the tester moved too slow to catch the one I did have 4) the seizures have spread too rapidly for them to pinpoint the exact spot, 5) I am not convinced there is only one spot, and 6) the spot they think is the problem has the most complaints on the internet about recurrence of seizures.

So now, if I can get in just over my scheduled 6 months time I am lucky.

Well, my doctor retired and I needed another and he has a good reputation so I decided to see my currect doctor but at first it took one complete year to get an appointment. I wasn't expecting all the MRI/EEG and he ordered. Then he saw the reports and just about froze in shock. He kept saying, "Thats Weird!" Then, "You need a CT scan right away", without telling me what was up. Then he gets the report and says, "Thats WEIRD!!" and says, "you need to see a neurosurgeon." without saying why. I figured out I'd better do my own research since I didn't have a definition of "weird" so I went to medical reccords to see what was so WEIRD about me and read I have a crainal dehiscence with brain herniation....in other words I gota hole in the head and my brain is falling out. :star: I guess he had a point, that's weird. But I refused surgery since I figure if a thing has been there 55 years let's leave it alone and not risk "pulling the plug". if you know what I mean. So then it was one year later and I almost ran out of medicine and he was too busy to see me so I saw a lady doctor who treated me like I was some medical curisoty for her current resident to play with. I got the perscription and swore I'd never be back. But I needed more medicine a year later and saw my original doctor, luckily. He's rather cool and has gotten over that "weird" streak so I was glad to see him again. But he wants me back in 6 months rather than in 1 year. I wonder why? I hope he dosen't think I'll be weird again by then. What am I? Sponge Bob? One hole in my head at a time is enough! :agree:

Last edited:
Ok, your "weird" tops my adult-appearing-absence seizures that aren't supposed to be humanly possible (and probably half of us on here have) that got my neurologist to whip out his referral slip without a second word.

Anyway, doctors sure seem to react to anomalies, but they can turn cool when you don't want surgery. Now that's "weird"

Last edited:
Mine just automatically thought Id want surgery since I was 46 with young kids and have had a hard time coping.But the meds do okay and Im satisfied for now.Mine turned a little cool when I didnt want surgery,I go to clkeveland clinic and they do alot of that.Im not interested yet.Mine has made it clear he only treats and deals with seizures,anything else and THAT doc should take care of it.However,my family doc wont prescribe witout his approval and Epi wont get involved so I dont bother going to docs for anything

Back
Top Bottom