How to get rid of ants

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a good home made way to get rid of ants? I've got these little ones crawling on my counter and just can't make them go away.

Have you tried peppermint oil? Try rubbing it on your counter and put some on cotton balls and put it near any entry points. I've heard this works but I haven't personally tried it.

Thanks everyone.

I want to use something that my cats wouldn't want to eat. I've never seen them on the counters but who knows what they do when I'm not looking.

I rubbed some nail polish remover over where I think they are coming in and I haven't seen any since I did that. If I see them again then I'm going to try coffee grounds, don't think the cats would want to eat that but it'b probably be ok if they did, I saw that on one of the web sites.

Cucumber peels or slices placed in the areas where the ants are getting in might keep them away. Some ant species find cucumbers repellent...

Mix some gist or baking soda in something sweet that ants do like a lot (liquid with a lot of sugar like syrup or jam), the gist or baking soda kills the ants because it will rise which causes their stomach to explode.

Rubbing your counter with a mix of very sour citrus fruit juice can help too, ants don't like sour citrus at all. The citrus oil pens that are sold to prevent gnats and mosquito's from stinging might be helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I tried the coffee grounds and haven't noticed any. If I do see one again I'm going to do the baking soda.

Baking soda for me has always done well, but coffee... hmmmm... maybe I should try that. But then, my two dogs may give coffee a try... hmmm...

Saw some again today!!!!! Just little wee things. It's driving me crazy! I'm trying the baking soda thing. What do you put it on? I've got it smeared on a little flat plastic lid from a container sitting on the counter in the places I've seen them most.

I tried the baking soda but it didn't do any good. They coffee grinds are doing pretty good, I might only see one or two ants, but I have to keep them out all the time. When I clean up the coffee grinds the ants come back.

They are just little itty bitty things and they are driving me crazy!

Thanks StrongerThanEpilepy!

I use a 1:1 ratio mix of borax and sugar/icing sugar. It is very effective in getting rid of those little buggers. Not sure how cat safe it is though...

I ended up getting little things with ant poison in them, not sure what they are called, because I just couldn't get rid of the ants no matter what I tried. After a few days the ants were gone and I haven't seen any since. It had no effect on the cats either, I think it's because the ants and ant poison were only on the counters.

Thanks everyone though for all the suggestions.

Nooooo don't kill them if in the garden that's their environment.I got similar problem my ants are under drive way gate of house possible causing damage,I trying figure out how get rid eithout killing them..It karma.Maybe some nematodes shoved down the nest that be neutral way or remove queen although not so easy but have done it before.I thinking of garlic clove it won't kill them they just up sticks and leave

I have success with Dr. Broner's peppermint soap in a spray bottle and wiping down counters, anywhere I see them. My research says that peppermint re theally confused there tracking of each other and selves. It paralyzed them to. Mine are incessantly living somewhere though

Only ants that potentially problematic are phero ants they get in clean and dirty places habits like coach crotch.Lemon juice I actually watching this today on tv

Back
Top Bottom