hyperventilation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mel239

New
Reaction score
My first visit with Epi,his paper said EEG showed "abnormal III-awake,sleep,anterior temporal sharp wave consistent with dx of focal epilepsy arising from the left temporal region" My question-I have no idea if this was due to the hyperventilation or flashing lights or just because it was sleep deprived.Okay,so can hyperventilation bring on pnes and can that be done if you are on AED?

I Know that hyperventilation is caused by seizures but I also know that it can be a trigger for some people (like myself). I am on AEDs so yes, even when being treated it can be a trigger. I do remember as a kid the majority of my seizures occurred during or after gym.

I have trained myself to (usually) try to control my breathing during a seizure to lessen it & it usually works. I'm sorry but I don't know if this applies to pnes as well.

Also, can you ask your neuro what it was that caused the seizures (lights, hyperventilation)?

Hyperventilation and photic stimulation can cause seizure as those can be a trigger for some people.
When I had mine done, the EEG said that I had a "driving responce" which happened during the photic stimulation part of the exam. It means that light flashes could possible cause a seizure in me. I have complex partials and before taking Keppra XR, I used to have many more trobles with light issues.

I think that a person with psuedo seizures might have troubles with any tye of stimulation and some neuros or EEG techs will tell you things they think might be a trigger. The seizure itself isn't Epilepsy or one caused my abnormal discharges but something else
The body's way of dealing with stress.

Back
Top Bottom