I just wrote this yesterday as a way to vent.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It's not a mess at all. It's beautifully and very eloquently written. The silent storm is a perfect description of what lies beneath. I especially love the description of the dreaded MRI. I hate those things! I have to be sedated whenever I have them. Your piece is heartfelt and describes the condition perfectly.

Very nice. I like it. I've gotten so the term "epileptic" bothers me, cuz it seems to have lots of negative connotations, but you have done a great job of addressing what e can be like. What instrument(s) do you play?

As many as I can, but my main instruments are percussion, trumpet piano and bass. :)

Very nice. I like it. I've gotten so the term "epileptic" bothers me, cuz it seems to have lots of negative connotations,
:agree: Good presentation, but I'm not very fond of that word either.

Your article is beautiful and is nowhere near a mess.

I love when you mentioned that "falling to the ground" is just one type of seizure and many people don't know about simple and complex partials and most of all altered consciousness, and I was one of those people.

At first I thought more than "e" was wrong with me during my simple, complex and altered awareness seizures, but after some research, I never knew epilepsy was so much more than just...."falling to the ground & jerking".

Thank you, everybody! I've just been really down and a little frustrated lately, because my seizures have been under control for the longest time and it's just hit me out of the blue. I've noticed on my personal Facebook page that there has been a lot of promotion for Autism awareness (which is great), and awareness for other conditions, but never have I seen anything about epilepsy.

I was actually thinking about making a short 'documentary' or something about it because it's something that really needs to be talked about.

It stinks because some people, especially at work, who think I fake this just for attention and pity's sake. The judgement is what kills me the most.

Thank you, everybody! I've just been really down and a little frustrated lately, because my seizures have been under control for the longest time and it's just hit me out of the blue. I've noticed on my personal Facebook page that there has been a lot of promotion for Autism awareness (which is great), and awareness for other conditions, but never have I seen anything about epilepsy.

I was actually thinking about making a short 'documentary' or something about it because it's something that really needs to be talked about.

It stinks because some people, especially at work, who think I fake this just for attention and pity's sake. The judgement is what kills me the most.

Yes, however the best way to get awareness out there is by posting things like this :)

As well as awareness pages, posters, memes, and pamphlets (on the internet or otherwise). I like the documentary idea too! Id love to do something like that if the resources were available.

They think of someone flailing on the ground (what's called a Grand Mal), and that's about it.

This is so ridiculously true. Even when I tried to explain to my own family my struggles and what they were, they didn't believe me because "they knew what seizures are, and that (partials) are NOT seizures!". Its difficult ):

Back
Top Bottom