I think I've had more than one

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've only had one Grand Mal seizure but since I've been studying about seizures, I realize I think I may have had a Partial Complex seizure a few years ago.

I hadn't thought about it for a long time until recently and it occurred to me that it may indeed have been a seizure. I was in Walmart like with the Grand Mal & I was using an electric cart cause I hadn't been feeling well and although I could walk, it tired me out.

Anyway, I was using it and going up and down the aisles and suddenly everything got very muffled and my vision started to go dark & I felt disoriented but nothing else. I felt odd, as if everything was out of focus and it lasted for about a minute or two, then it cleared up & I was fine. That's the only thing that happened. I didn't have any physical symptoms per say just felt so weird and when it started to subside, I felt like I was waking up I guess you could say but I never lost consciousness and no one seemed to notice anything.

I've fainted before and it wasn't like that, although it would be similar if one were to see me experiencing it, however I don't think it was noticeable to anyone but me. I put it out of my mind later cause I thought I was just weak from being sick but now that I think of it, I felt fine then, far as I remember. Then it was like nothing happened. Then nothing even remotely close like that happened until my Grand Mal a year and a half ago. This was probably 4 years ago now I think. Of course I have had a couple of times when things become muffled and sound far off like it feels when your ears plug up but mine weren't plugged, those lasted only 10 seconds maybe. And yes I will be mentioning it to the Neurologist at our next appointment. In my readings it sounds more & more like I had a Partial Complex seizure. What do you think?

Last edited:
Could well be a Simple or Complex Partial. I only have grand mal seizures, but in retrospect, there were tiny, very infrequent events prior to my initial seizures that may have been partials. They were so tiny and so infrequent that I dismissed them.

Walmart seems to be a popular location for seizures -- the fluorescent lights or other factors can be triggering...

I have had I believe 2 seizures in Walmart and countless auras where I just left and sat in the car. If we had other choices I would avoid it. Albertsons lighting is much softer and much easier on me for sure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh yes, I much prefer the lighting at Publix, I always feel "funny" when we're leaving walmart, or at some point during our trip. I hate that place.

Angel, I don't know that I've experienced anything like that, but like you the more I research the more I am SURE I had absence seizures when I was a kid. Before puberty. I remember the 'day dreaming' thing and staring off into space plenty. But I also remember several happenings when I could.not.make.it.stop. It only lasted a few seconds, and about the time I was noticing I couldn't 'snap out of it' it was ending. I didn't chew, or twitch or make noise I just sat there staring.

Which is really too bad that I can't go back and find out. My biological father also has seizures, he also has TCs. He hasn't had one since 1993. His doctor told him last week that what I have can't possibly be hereditary because I didn't have TCs when I was a kid. I don't know though.

The day it happened, I remember one minute I was fine, then suddenly everything started going out of focus and things sounded far off. Not blurry, just started to dim as if the sun were going down only it was broad daylight and I was in the store. I didn't know where I was for about a minute and I was looking around like I was trying to get my bearings. I remember I bumped into a display that was there and it lasted about a minute and then started clearing up.

I felt as if I were lost and then when it started to go away, I then knew where I was and everything seemed fine. It freaked me out but I thought maybe it was the lighting as far as vision starting to get dark, however it didn't explain the sounds becoming far off or muffled.

I don't know about the Walmarts where you are but the Walmart where I was at has solar lighting. In the daytime, if the sky is cloudy and the clouds move across the sun, the lights will brighten and when the sun is clear again, the lights will dim, sometimes a lot, it's like it's getting dark and only some lights stay on.

It really messes with your mind. Then January 4th 2011 is when I had the Grand Mal. I never saw it coming. I was shopping, then it seemed like a minute later I woke in the ambulance but it had to be at least five to ten minutes before I was conscious. Then I think I went out again cause I woke in the hospital, which makes me wonder if I had a second one in the ambulance.

Back
Top Bottom