I'm getting kepset

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I noticed some emotional issues when my keppra was last upped, but nothing that seemed that bad.

But these past few days, it seems like everything sends me into feelings of depression. "Sorry we're out of tomatos" *sob* I can't even get a tomato. Why do I bother trying. I haven't really noticed any rage

My next appointment is the second week of November, and the neurologist is off for the first week in november, so what I've decided to is put up with my emotions until my scheduled appointment. The seizure control is getting better each day and so is my memory, so I hate to switch meds, but I obviously can't live becoming utterly depressed at the slightest negative news.

Has anyone experienced something similar - did it go away or did you have to switch medicines

Keppra is well know for causing mood swings/ depression. Call your neuro ASAP! You may have to switch meds or add something to help with the depression.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Cindy

My first few days on Keppra were really bad. It felt like I had way too much caffeine. I couldn't sit still, couldn't sleep, was anxious all the time, and had a lot of emotional problems. It was a really terrible time, I really felt like I wouldn't survive. All this went away after a couple of days, and it was worth sticking it out no matter how bad it was at first.

About Keppra

Keppra caused problems for me, I had to be taken
off of it. However, as I learned more about Keppra,
I found out that it works best when you are on B
vitamin supplements or folic acid, neither which I was
on, and yet the Epileptologist kept the titration upwards
to a point where I had all kinds of problems with it.

Keppra is a wonder drug for some people and a
nightmarish hell for others. Unfortunately, it was
the latter part for me, but I wouldn't mind trying
Keppra again with the proper method of being on
with the B vitamin supplements like it's been posted.

WHY?

Because I was doing fine with it to a point and it did
control the seizures, but the Doc had the plan to have
it maximized dosage on me but I couldn't tolerate it;
personally I feel now, if I had been on the Folic Acid or
B vitamin supplement - I believe I wouldn't have had all
these side-effects and it would have worked.

If you are not taking the B vitamin supplement, then
you should consult with your Doctor about this and
try it with the B vitamin supplement or Folic Acid. You
might find Keppra more workable for you.

But once again:

Keppra works for a lot of people just as much as it
doesn't work for others.

I have also recently started on Keppra - I am now up to one pill in a.m. and one in pm. plus the dilantin - will start next week on two in a.m. and pm - so far haven't been too bad emotionally - really don't know if I could handle that on top of all of the emotions of learning to cope with epilepsy. I am wondering though when I might experience more thorough seizure control. Seems like I am still having partial seizures on a daily basis except for one day when I had none (wasn't that wonderful). Any thoughts??

Like all

meds, it will take some time for your body to titrate, and to get used to it..... the general rule of thumb is 6 to 8 weeks.......

Do keep an eye on your emotions though with the Keppra......"Kepprage" is fairly common.....

Thanks for the info. My husband will be thrilled to know about keprage - now I can blame everything on that!!! LOL

CBMC,

I was just diagnosed June 4th of this year and recently went through the same titration schedule you are on. Like most here I had to have a second medication call Lamictal. I have not had any more Tonic-Clonic seizures since then but I also continue to have partials every day.

As of now I have not had a single day that was seizure free, but I am still hopefull.

Best of Luck,

John

This thread reminded me that a friend bought me vitamins a few days ago. I'll take them just as soon as I figure out where I put them. I'm sure I bought them somwhere that I wouldn't lose them but the question is "where in the world is that?"

I found the brazil nuts he got me for the selenium in the dresser (I'm sure I had a logical reason for storing them in there - ie Take 2 first thing in the morning, don't snack on them).

Anyone have any guesses on where the vitamins might be

U mmmmmm

The Underwear drawer?????

That way, you don't forget them, first thing in the morning????

Mark,

I take Keppra (4000 mg). When my neuro first started me on the drug, I was an emotional basketcase! Rage and mood swings, tears, depression...I even quit my job on the spot (after I screamed at a co-worker and nearly slapped my boss)! I called a shrink and my neuro from my office, and I told them what I had just done. I was mortified! :paperbag: They both said, "It's the Keppra." The shrink saw me first, and then I went to the neuro.

I started a slower titration up of Keppra, added vitamins, and an antidepressant. This helped tremendously. Keppra gives me moderate seizure control, and the side-effects are not so bad now that I know what is going on and how to take care of myself while on this drug. :twocents:

Please call your neuro. :e: Today it may be tears and depression, but tomorrow it could be rage or thoughts of self-injury. These may be temporary side-effects; Keppra may, ultimately, be a good drug for you (as it has been for me). Still, the doctor needs to know. It sucks being on an emotional rollercoaster. :agree:

Take care and keep us updated,
Julie

I have to jump in and say that when I took Keppra the mood swings did not happen to me. I did just fine on it ..... Oh, I still had the miserable partial complex seizures but the drug did not make me any more miserable than I was aware of.

I have been on Keppra for over 5 years on top of my dilantin. You will see multiple posts on here about Keppra. It has been part of my 5 year run with no tonic-clonics (I still have other E issues).

The main thing I learned about Keppra side-effects was how to channel them. You have made a HUGE first step in recognizing them. This will help you to direct them away from people and let loose on inanimate objects. I struggled with this at first, but eventually learned how to channel my anger towards weeds in the garden, sports on TV, pain in exercise, etc... The depression effects are harder to channel, but with practice you can at least keep it out of your relationships with others.

BEST of LUCK to you. I will be rooting for you all the way.

One other place to let loose of the keprage is our padded room here. Just state that you are venting and let loose. We understand.

Julie - 4000 mg? WOW!! That is strong.

I have been on Keppra for over 5 years on top of my dilantin. You will see multiple posts on here about Keppra. It has been part of my 5 year run with no tonic-clonics (I still have other E issues).

The main thing I learned about Keppra side-effects was how to channel them. You have made a HUGE first step in recognizing them. This will help you to direct them away from people and let loose on inanimate objects. I struggled with this at first, but eventually learned how to channel my anger towards weeds in the garden, sports on TV, pain in exercise, etc... The depression effects are harder to channel, but with practice you can at least keep it out of your relationships with others.

BEST of LUCK to you. I will be rooting for you all the way.

One other place to let loose of the keprage is our padded room here. Just state that you are venting and let loose. We understand.

Julie - 4000 mg? WOW!! That is strong.

Oh, Buckeye, I wish I'd have known you before I threw back my arm to sock my boss! :mrt::paperbag:
The whole office "scene" was ridiculous. I'm a tall, very thin person who is usually well-liked and hard-working. Out of nowhere popped this WWF beast of a woman! :taz:

"Channeling" is a great way to say it...I should have taken a second to think and picked an inanimate object...Mark, Buckeye stated it well. It's too late for me...save yourself! :roflmao:

As I said earlier though, Keppra has been a pretty good drug for me. After I got through the titration and the side-effects settled down, I realized my seizure control was pretty good (relative to my situation). Hang in there Mark and keep us updated! :e:

-Julie

yep, I take 4000 mg. a day of keppra plus 1050 mg. trileptal :poop:

Last edited:
After reading many posts and my daughter's medical records, why is Keppra usually combined with another AED? I would think that 4000 mg. a day should take care of the seizures. Sometimes I think these pharmaceutical companies are the controlling factor in our medical care.

My daughter was not able to tolerate Keppra and my granddaughter had behavior problems on the high dose of Lamictal.

It might be better if I pick an imaginary person to send angry venting emails to (at least that would save my friends who refuse to abide by my "don't read any emails from me" requests - or at the very least, any emails I sent before 7 am, because I have a tendency to wake up, write them and go straight back to sleep and don't always realize i have sent them when i wake up again)

After reading many posts and my daughter's medical records, why is Keppra usually combined with another AED? I would think that 4000 mg. a day should take care of the seizures. Sometimes I think these pharmaceutical companies are the controlling factor in our medical care.

My daughter was not able to tolerate Keppra and my granddaughter had behavior problems on the high dose of Lamictal.

Laura, you would think that 4000mg. should stop my seizures (or shutdown my brain completely) :paperbag: But no such luck with seizure control.

I wrote a poem about a month ago in the the CWE "creative writing" social group, and it references what you are talking about in your post. The poem is about being a "walking billboard for the Pharmaceutical Industry." It's a short read if you're interested. :e:

Mark,
Your last post confused me a bit. It's probably my tired brain and not your post. Anyway, hang in there. I'm completely down for the day...these auras have worn me out. :flushed:

Take care of yourself. -Julie

-Julie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom