"is it for epilepsy?" she whispers....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I keep coming across pharmacists who whisper conspiratorially "is it for epilepsy?" as they dispense me my medication as if it's some horrible secret to hide from the world. Sure, I don't run around advertising it but I don't hide it either. I bring it up in conversation from time to time and no one who knows me doesn't know I have epilepsy. Am I missing something? It's people like this who make the newly (and not so newly) diagnosed ashamed of their condition and I think that's wrong. I just don't feel it's something that needs to be discussed in hushed tones in the back corner of the pharmacy! Maybe it's just me? Just wanted to impart my two cents :)

Or when they come up and whisper, do you want your medicine, why am I here and why are you whispering, you would think it was contagious and I was going to give it to everybody.

People are goofy! Next time just ask him loudly if he washed his hands after he handled it because it has been know to make your skin fall off!!

Or you could say loudly, "No it's not for epilepsy, it's for hoof-and-mouth disease."

I agree that epilepsy doesn't need to be hidden away, but not everyone feels the same way, or is comfortable enough that they want everyone to know about it. The pharmacists might be whispering to respect your privacy -- without knowing what your comfort level is, that's the safest way for them to approach it. And some of the anti-seizure meds are also used for treating other things, like bipolar disorder, which can be equally stigmatizing for some folks (though it shouldn't be).

The reason they whisper is for privacy reasons. There really is no reason why someone else in the pharmacy needs to know why you need your medication, but they need to be able to communicate. They may have been asking if its for epilepsy because they want to make sure you have the same type of generic?

I mean you may not care if they use a normal voice for epilepsy medication, but how embarrased would you feel if they were loud while it was for more intimate medication

Next time act hard of hearing and get them to yell that question. Then say 'Yes it is to control my rare contagious Epilepsy.'

I have no problem with anybody knowing its for epilepsy, yes its no one Else's business, I live in Ireland, ok I would feel embarrassed if it was for something intimate but does that mean you would shout it or just talk to the person in private.

Lol... this is a touchy subject. :) I'm a nurse and because of privacy LAWS I have to be very careful how I talk to people about their medical conditions and whom I can talk in front of. I swear every time I whisper I feel like I am giving off the vibe that I somehow think their condition is taboo.... I guess I got my answer. :). We literally can get fired for talking loud enough that others can hear. I had two friends fired because of a violation in privacy laws.

I agree that our diagnosis is not taboo. Glad you brought this up. :). I feel terrible that I may have made people feel this way in the past. A simple explanation prior to conversing would help explain our behavior as healthcare workers.

"No, It's for Chlamydia you goon! I'm just collecting it for her..."

Had similar problems when they used to dispense my Tamoxifen, I wanted to say loudly, No, it's to make my tits stick out, and what's it to you in any case.

We are slightly better off now I think, than the days of our grandmothers when they just wrote The Linctus or The Ointment on the bottle and we had no idea what it was or what it was supposed to cure. Wonder how many people back then used to try and swallow their suppositories...

It's a bit worrying when the qualified dispensing pharmacist doesn't seem to know what these common drugs are used for, though. And yet the poor patient is expected to know.

julie wishes

I understand what you are saying, my wife is a nurse as well and the same privacy laws apply and I understand and agree, but I believe and I could be wrong, but you can talk to somebody without whispering and making it seem like, OMG say nothing they have epilepsy, its the way you do it that counts, my wife is a theatre nurse and could not tell me when my uncel was there as she would get fired and unless he told me it was none of my business why he was there, so I do understand.

I am currently on topamax, which is not only for epilepsy. At my pharmacy, with my insurance, brand name topamax is only authorized for seizures, not for migraines or anything else. So they need to know why I am getting it. I don't know much about the other epilepsy drugs, though.

yeah, i am on topomax to.
but i used to go to my pharmacy for the whole list
because since i have moved to my apartment I have tried a few meds, gotten a few new docs, broken a shoulder, burned a few things off, you can imagine what i have into there looking like a few times. and I have into there with a friend of mine in the apartment who is bi-polar and nutty as squirrel crap. So I really hate to think what they think of us. And I have purchased tampons for my girlfriend. So I gave up on opinions down there a long time ago. My apt is next to an old folks home, and lenient on renting to people on disability. So it is full of people on interesting drugs and people who are bi-polar and have "conditions" so the local pharmacy probably gave up on us ages ago

I don't think I've ever had a pharmacist ask me what my prescription was far. Their job is to fill my scripts and inform me of possible side effects or interactions with other drugs.

i like to flirt with nurses. but the never ask what it is for.
my girlfriend gives them evil looks when she comes with me.

Come to think of it, no pharmacist has even asked me about any of my kids' prescriptions except for one time when they had to mix up some liquid antibiotics. He asked me if I was going straight home because it needed to be refrigerated. That's it.

Yeah I do understand the privacy issue. I know I'd feel differently if they yelled "is it for syphilis?!". I guess I don't get what difference it makes though either given they've never then said anything purely epilepsy related. I mean if they had to give different advice regarding taking it depending on what it was for I'd understand. But they've never said "ohhhh it's for epilepsy? Oh well in that case you have to take it while standing on your head."

And don't feel bad Julie. I'm probably just being over sensitive! But maybe you should follow it up with "sorry, I have to whisper for privacy reasons, not because there's anything wrong with your condition"?

I have never actually had anyone whisper at a pharmacy or a hospital. My wife said they whisper to her if she is getting the medication. Last night we figured out why. I always ask pharmacists, nurses, and doctors how their day is going and take the time to take an interest in their day. I figure these are the people I depend on and if I care about them more maybe someday it will help me. But worst case I make them smile and everyone needs to smile.

knothing I agree everyone needs to smile, but there is one woman there I try to avoid, but yesterday when I was getting my medication I wanted to kill her, even the way she tried to hand it to me, I think it could be the way I look or something not sure, wont stop me getting my medication do, its funny at times.

Back
Top Bottom