I've Got An Eight Year Old With Benign Rolandic Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MKat

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here, but have been dealing with epilepsy for a little over a year now.
In September of 2010, my son (then 6), was diagnosed with Benign Rolandic Epilepsy. Our intent was to avoid medication, but his second and third seizures were both extended and required rescue medication so we medicated. He's currently on Trileptal which makes him VERY sleepy. He had a brief breakthrough seizure this weekend. I'm hesitant to notify neurology because I'm afraid they'll want to increase the dosage which already wipes him out ( he cries a lot, is easily frustrated, and will sleep over 12 hours on weekends). I'm frustrated with the care he's getting. We see a nurse practitioner rather than a doctor (not my choice), and if there's a question, I get a nurse call-back, and she'll talk to the nurse practitioner who may then talk to the doctor and the doctor's advise will be relayed to a nurse who will call me back- it's all very impersonal and time consuming... I'd LOVE to find an expert in Benign Rolandic Epilepsy to know exactly what the best practice methods for treating this is. Does anyone know of an expert in this field?

Hi Mkat, welcome to CWE!

Breakthrough seizures don't always mean that the dosage level is inadequate. Sometimes they really are just breakthroughs -- fluke events brought on by unusual or circumstances. It's still a good idea to notify the neurologist -- but keep in mind that if you don't want to increase your son's dose, it's within your right to say no. And if you'd like to try a different medication that may have fewer side effects, make a point of asking about that. Tegretol (carbamazepine) and Neurontin (gabapentin) are other first-line meds prescribed for BRE.

I wish I could recommend a BRE expert to you. What I can say is that many of us have had to be persistent in finding a neurologist that was good match. That can mean seeking a second, third, or even fourth opinion or doc if necessary. Do you have other pediatric neurologists in your area to try?

This link shows a top ten list of pediatric neurologists:
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/pediatric-rankings/neurology-and-neurosurgery

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks for your quick response and added information. We're in Cincinnati, and I know Cincinnati Children's is supposed to be great. I suppose I'll have to make certain they live up to their greatness. I happened to come upon a new research project they're doing- it involves AEDs to reduce centrotemporal spike waves- I'll see if the nurses can find a doctor who can find out exactly which AEDs are involved and perhaps they can share the info with me. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom