Job/Career- what do you do?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cpuerini

New
Reaction score
Hey all.
I'm 24 years old, and have been taking classes since I was 19 (currently on a break because I just had to drop out in October when I had my first seizure and was diagnosed), have changed my major twice, and am thinking of changing again once everything is under control and I get to go back.

However, though my seizures have mainly been nocturnal, they have been tonic clonics. I have heard that some people have nocturnal seizures but they eventually change, and I'm worried about these tonic clonics possibly holding me back from what I may finally decide to do (still unfortunately have no idea). A lot of things require you to be dexterous and careful, and I'm afraid of a seizure at one point ruining what I'm doing...

So, since I have no idea what I want to do anyway-just curious what some of you do, and if epilepsy has effected it at all.

Hey CPUerini ,
I think epilepsy definitely does impact what we can do depending on what types of seizures we have. I am currently a web programmer but I am going to be leaving this career to go back for a masters of divinity because I don't find the work fulfilling and because the staring at the monitors gives me terrible headaches and the sedentary nature of the job really hurts my neck and back.
I would prefer a job where I am on my feet and helping others and making a difference. Some people would love my job especially if they had drop seizures. You really have to examine how your seizures impact your life and then look at your gifts and try your best to make the two work together.
Hope it helps Cheers!
Rourke

I was thinking about elementary education, but fear my tonic clonics would really scare the children. Or doing something in the veterinary area, but a seizure may interfere with administering injections or something like that...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Elementary Education sounds rewarding. What area is your favorite subject? Being a Vet could be very rewarding also. Both are very stressful job's though. How well do you handle stress? I wouldn't worry about the seizures interfering with you job until they actually begin too. I know it scary but in a way you are fortunate that your current episodes are strictly nocturnal. It sound's like you only had seizures for 5 years is that correct? The changing of seizure patterns doesn't always change. You gotta do what you gotta do. Don't let the E stop you from achieving your goals.

No, I don't handle stress well, I used to handle it by going out and binge drinking (don't do anymore, and I know I can't in the future). I started school five years ago, but no I had my first seizure in October and was diagnosed then.

I hear yah about handling the stress. I used to handle stress by going to drives at night and blasting music and singing. Can't do that anymore since I can't drive. Now I play the violin and work out at home. Two activities that are hard to self motivate to accomplish when you feel depressed all the time. And yes I have done the binge drinking thing. I usually stop myself after just two beers now since that's all it takes anymore. I recently realized the past week I was drunk 3 out of 5 nights I went to bed and realized that there was something really wrong in my life so I am going to be cutting back on the alcohol even more cause in the long run it makes things worse.
Okay I see so you haven't even had it a full year yet. Well try not to get discouraged. My nocturnal seizures lasted till I was 22 and I had my first resection. So the pattern may stay the same for a very long time before it changes.
Really you gotta do what makes you happy. Do you have some kind of advisor or someone you can sit down with either educational or spiritual that can help you decide on a career? I know some other people have taken tests that tell them what jobs they would be best at. I They are like personality tests but much more elaborate. Don't always think either that your first career is going to be your last career either. You could find out you got all that education and then get into the field and findout you don't like it anymore. But just try to at least pick a starting point. Business majors are really good multipurpose degrees to have and are applicable in most fields. What majors have you tried for so far?
Cheers!

Epilepsy pushed me to do what I was born to do. I actually studied marketing and business management but I ended up being mentored as a writer after that. I fell ill in my twenties after having spent years being too scared to submit my work to magazines or journals. I found myself unable to work for others and thinking, "If I send this out, what do I have to lose?" The magazine accepted my column and commissioned another, and another. I ended up stringing for them for two years but it fell apart for external reasons--nothing to do with myself or my epilepsy. I spent a decade being employed and failing at it until I finally realised it just wasn't working. I figured I'd have nothing to lose by starting to write again so that's what I started to do. Two years later, it's what I still do. Yes, I type gibberish sometimes and yes, sometimes it's impossible to think and sometimes I have to tell clients to pay extra attention to what they receive from me because I'm ill, but overall, I'm doing really well and only fear holds me back from achieving more. I can honestly say that I never would have turned my passion into my career had it not been for my epilepsy. You'll find your way. Most with epilepsy get full control with meds anyway--it's early days. Chances are good you'll be one of those people. If you aren't, you'll find a path that you love and that you can manage with your epilepsy.

Urza, I have thought about taking a personality test, just not sure where to go.. business might be a good idea, just not sure what I could do with that? I started with history/education, and though I love history I only love ancient and actually hate American, so I figured it wasn't the right path. Then I started going towards the dental field, but realized it wasn't a good idea when the sound of other people brushing their teeth is like nails on a chalkboard for me. strange, I know..

Kristen- that's awesome that you were able to finally get to a place that you love. I know it's early for me, and I should be focusing on just getting better but this had always been something I've worried about. I tell myself there's no time limit, but in my mid twenties I feel like I should be at a more stable point in my life. I want my own place, to get married, have kids. I know I'm trying to rush it, but I can't really help it.. I hope my epilepsy will be controlled, but right now I feel like it doesn't look so good. I started out with multiple tonic clonics and was in status for around a day, and after over a week my seizures were only able to get under control after being on four different drugs. Now I'm on five.I'm terrified of having to end up possibly having to think of brain surgery.

mmm...I did an aptitude test in school that suggested a field I would never dream of. In the end, it was my primary school friend who knew from the start (at age ten) that I should have been a writer before I ever wrote a creative word. We recently got back in touch and she told me I had always been a good writer (?) Still, there are psychologists who can do aptitude tests with you and help guide you to the right field.

Business studies give you tools you can use in any career. They also make it possible for you to manage your own business or to freelance, which might be a good skill if your epilepsy does turn out to be difficult to manage. Having said that, I really believe that at this stage you should follow your wildest dreams in your studies. Not sure how you find out what they are, though.

I got a degree in Software Engineering after being registered as fully disabled for 15 years, but the usual kind of Jolt-fueled 24-hour code binges most companies seem to expect lol aren't very good with E..

So, I work in the anti-virus industry now as a Malware/Threat Analyst and Linux Administrator. IT departments are always stressful though, to everyone.

I've just left my last job, was maybe thinking about writing a book about my life :)

"I started with history/education, and though I love history I only love ancient and actually hate American, so I figured it wasn't the right path"

I also absolutely Love ancient history especially Middle east ancient history and south American ancient history. I don't mind American history but it's definitely not my favorite topic. My love of history and my fascination with philosophy and religion is one of the main reason I decided to go for my M.Div since it combines all three things really.
I always hate when people say history is useless and won't get you anywhere when infact our history is one of the primary driving factors in everything we live in today. There honestly needs to be a new shift to the Art's and Humanities again in our school system IMO.
Yeah if you can't stand other peoples brushing def not cut of for dentistry lol. Oh and anyways. If you became a history professor im sure one of your students would have a crush on you =) Isn't always the hot history professor in movies that gets the girl? ./cough ./cough Indiana Jones =)

I got a degree in Software Engineering after being registered as fully disabled for 15 years, but the usual kind of Jolt-fueled 24-hour code binges most companies seem to expect lol aren't very good with E..

So, I work in the anti-virus industry now as a Malware/Threat Analyst and Linux Administrator. IT departments are always stressful though, to everyone.

I've just left my last job, was maybe thinking about writing a book about my life :)
Slim Blue I did IT administration right out of my 2 year college. I had a glamourous dream of being a Windows Ldap Architect. Yeah that didn't pan out and I went to to college for a BS in CIS and was working at Arbys for two years till I graduated and now im a web app programmer and I am going to be leaving this job soon cause I just can't handle the stress and the scheming in my department. I am so done with the It industry. You should write a book about your life. I am sure it is very interesting and would help alot of people . I know I want to too. =)

I am a teacher (16-18 year olds) at a residential quasi-military school. The school is funded and supported by the National Guard. I have complex partials; I think they are increasing in number. I find myself doing odd things during class. The kids think its great - an adult who makes mistakes.

See if you can take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery). The link is for the Career Exploration Program. http://official-asvab.com/career_coun.htm It is the test the military gives to help decide what career people should go in to. You don't have to be going into the military to take it.

Kirsten I think its great that you are a writer now. That is awesome. I also have been told by my LPC that I should write a book of my life cause I have so much too say. I kinda think I am going when I am older. For me journaling has always been a way to blow off steam and arrange my thoughts on paper and try to sort things out. Does anyone know of a book that contains a collection of short stories by people with E and about thier struggles of thier daily lives? If it doesn't exist can we put one together? =)

Slimblue I was thinking of doing something with computers, but I don't like math or science. I'm assuming that's part of it?

Urza, what doyou do with masters of divinity?
Haha, I was thinking of high-school first, then eventually doing what I need to do to become a professor... but I dunno, I'm really hoping to find something that can be done, at least for now, with four years at most because I really want to get started with my life.. and I don't think I could teach specifically ancient history in high-school

Lol I thought of writing a book about my life even before epilepsy, I suppose this just adds to the drama

Kirsten I think its great that you are a writer now. That is awesome. I also have been told by my LPC that I should write a book of my life cause I have so much too say. I kinda think I am going when I am older. For me journaling has always been a way to blow off steam and arrange my thoughts on paper and try to sort things out. Does anyone know of a book that contains a collection of short stories by people with E and about thier struggles of thier daily lives? If it doesn't exist can we put one together? =)

I don't know of any short story collections. I've only read one autobiography about a woman with TLE. If it were done creatively, a short story collection could be pretty wild.

You can do amazing things if you have a good editor and publisher. You can take that claim to the bank.

I don't like math or science. I'm assuming that's part of it?

Depends really, I love coding because I've always liked language- to me it's more like writing poetry, haiku..

I guess the biggest skill you need after a bit of basic knowledge is problem solving, and for design- well, you need to be able to visualise the biiig picture ;)

I'd agree with the link between coding and language. Well, at least programming languages--I adore HTML. I could have managed Java script but nothing more complicated than that.

Back
Top Bottom