Just curious

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
I'm just curious, what would you do if you suddenly lost your job? I've heard the unemployment rate for epileptic people is 25-50%, not precise but very high.

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
HI finalpoet,

If someone tried to lay me off or fire me do to my seizures I would have a lawyer on them a.s.a.p. because it's totally illegal for anyone to do that. I've had 3 teachers fired and 1 teacher had to transfer to another school because they were putting me down on the job about my epilepsy. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
In my case i didn't suddenly lose my job, they just made it steadily worse and worse until i ended up leaving because i'd had enough. I was good at the job and i enjoyed it, but now i don't think i'd ever work in that same industry again.

I went back to university to retrain and go back to science, which i love, but i graduated in july with a First Class in biomolecular science and i'm still struggling to get employment. It gets rather soul destroying after a while.

Sabbo

Veteran
Reaction score
I completed my Bachelor's Degree, but wasn't able to work much. I began having complex partial seizures about 2 years after I completed it. Once, I was on my way to work & had a CP at the train station, nearly collapsing onto the tracks. Another time, I collapsed onto the sidewalk just outside the downtown building that my office was in. In both instances, I "came to" when I was in the ER.

Army Vet

Stalwart
Reaction score
After I "came out of it" and was trying to explain myself to an asphalt company what I was doing driving my company's pickup truck near (or on) their dumping zone (I worked for a concrete company and was the QC person), my company said goodbye to me within a day or two... all I remember was talking to a guy asking me to explain myself as to how I got from here to there... I don't know... was all I could think of at the time... after I finally got my full thoughts back together, I was doing everything I could to remember where I even was, what I was even doing and where I was supposed to be going...

Sabbo

Veteran
Reaction score
Family members just don't understand how I can burn myself severely & not even feel it. (I've given myself 2nd & 3rd degree burns at least 8 times). Another thing that I've done many times is ripping out the liner curtain in the tub. I only know about having those seizures due to that curtain, & bruises on my legs &/or shoulders

knothing

Stalwart
Reaction score
If I suddenly lost this job I would go get another and until I start the new job my epilepsy is none of their business.
It really depends on circumstances but I would be looking for employment in the same field and file the FMLA paperwork with HR on day 1. Also I would take a look at the company to make sure it fits. I once had a job interview with a company that promoted bringing their dogs to work. Sure the people were great but I could not stand all the dogs. (nothing against dogs but there is a limit)