Just Got A New Medical Alert Bracelet Will This Help?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I just received my Medical Alert Bracelet yesterday. I put my name, epilepsy,and allergic to ativan and dilantin.
The only reason that I put allergic to ativan and dilantin is because when I go to the hospital they give me those med's and then like a day later I come home and have these sores on my lips and mouth. I made a video of it .
Someone told me that it's not serious enough not to give me the med's so they will probably still continue to giving it to me. But if i'm like out of town and I have seizure and they read my bracelet will they give me ativan and dialatin? I know in California it is the law to stop the seizure but I don't know if it is the same in Orgen. Does anyone know anything about this?
Thank you for your time.

if you have put you are allergic to them then they wont give it to you. i got a bracelet aswell that says epileptic on it and a separate necklace with my details, medication being taken and allergies. i think it is a great thing to have because if you are on your own and need emergancy help, they have all the information they need instantly

There are other meds the EMTS/ER physicians can use -- Versed (midazolam) and/or Valium -- so you should be all set. They might use the Dilantin or Ativan as a last resort if they can't stop the seizing any other way.

Yes they won't give you meds that you have written on ypur bracelet. Regardless of what reaction you have. I have allergies on my epilepsy bracelet too. Get it put on your Hospital and doctor to put your allergies on your files and on their systems

good for you- I have a friend who every time they give her ativan at the hospital she loses her memory for like 2 days due to her brain surgury that she had. So she should have a bracelet! This looks like an alergic reaction to me did you ask the pharmacist or your doctor?

Tina

There are other meds the EMTS/ER physicians can use -- Versed (midazolam) and/or Valium -- so you should be all set. They might use the Dilantin or Ativan as a last resort if they can't stop the seizing any other way.

I have a Medic Alert bracelet and I have Dilantin as my allergy. If I have one, I will get my Steven's Johnson Syndrome back.

They never give you a medicine that you are allergic too, even as a last resort.

I have been out of the county that I live in and had seizures. I kept seizing and they gave me something else that stopped it.

Do you have a Medic Alert bracelet or a Medical Alert bracelet? Medic Alert is much better. The ER can call Medic Alert and get all of your information. I am so glad that I have mine.

good for you- I have a friend who every time they give her ativan at the hospital she loses her memory for like 2 days due to her brain surgury that she had. So she should have a bracelet! This looks like an alergic reaction to me did you ask the pharmacist or your doctor?

Tina

This tends to happen to me as well. I haven't been able to tell if it's the seizure, the ativan or the combination.

My medic alert bracelet says:

My Name
Epilepsy
Allergic to Dilantian

If anything changes than I'll get a new one that says it. Luckily I don't think that I've had to use it yet because the drs and hospitals have everything on file, but there's always that chance.

I have had mine for almost 13 years, it comes in handy when i am out

Back
Top Bottom