Just Got Out Of My Nuro App And?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
Basically, all he did is ask how I am and told me he is upping my does of Keppra.
Is it a good think that they upend my dose? Does that mean he take me more seriously?
Also, my husband told me that I never look at him. When I get scared I don't look at people and I said to my hubby "I noticed he stares at me" Shawn said " its becuase you don't look at him" I hope I m not coming across as rude, I just feel scared. :/
I see him in two months.

Last edited:
See, no poking or prodding :)

I'm sure he takes you seriously if he is upping your dosage and having you come back in 2 months. Hopefully things will improve.

It’s hard to look someone in the eye who is the unfortunate "spokesperson" for your epilepsy. The more you learn about E will hopefully help you feel empowered to look him in the eye and ask questions that really concern you. You'll get there!!

I'm glad things went well :)

Last edited:
JLogefeil

I agree with everything you said, they seem to think that what they say is right and thats it, my wife sayes I stare at them that is why they will not look at me, so please do not be afraid of your nuro and I am not sure if they take anybody seriously they just added vimpat to my dose at the moment and you are not rude.

Thats a good thing, In My Opinion. For me, when I was referred to a psych dr back in March 2011, it was then that I was told by that dr, that one way they know if what I was having was Non-Epileptic seizures, was when I could be put on a anti-seizure medication, and still be having seizures. I was on Keppra XR @3000mgs daily. Once I started that again after being taken off all medications for my VEEG, within weeks, my seizure stopped. She said based off of that, along with everything that I was feeling, such as seizure symptoms, had all stopped, it was apparently clear that the Keppra XR was doing its job. Which told her that the seizures I had in the VEEG were not non-epileptic seizures. They were true epileptic seizures.

So I say its a good thing that they are going to up your dose on the Keppra. It can really help the drs by letting them see if the increase in the medication can better control your seizures. :)

Thats a good thing, In My Opinion. For me, when I was referred to a psych dr back in March 2011, it was then that I was told by that dr, that one way they know if what I was having was Non-Epileptic seizures, was when I could be put on a anti-seizure medication, and still be having seizures. I was on Keppra XR @3000mgs daily. Once I started that again after being taken off all medications for my VEEG, within weeks, my seizure stopped. She said based off of that, along with everything that I was feeling, such as seizure symptoms, had all stopped, it was apparently clear that the Keppra XR was doing its job. Which told her that the seizures I had in the VEEG were not non-epileptic seizures. They were true epileptic seizures.

So I say its a good thing that they are going to up your dose on the Keppra. It can really help the drs by letting them see if the increase in the medication can better control your seizures. :)

So I couldn't really understand the top part of your comment. So your psych doc told you that when they put you on anti seizure meds and it helped stop your seizures they were true epileptic seizures? Or when they put you on anti seizure drugs and you still had seizures they were PNES?
I don't know I that makes any sence at all.

So what I m getting from the comments is that, by them upping my dose is a good thing becuase it will help them tell weather there epileptic or PNES right? If the seizure don't happen as much now since my dose was upped, they will think there epelieptic seizure? But can someone still have seizure on meds? Of so how often?
And it's a good thing because they are taking me more seriously right?
One more thing he never said anything about testing or a diagnosis, should I be worried?
One more thing, I swear this should be the last one, I hope. How long does it take for your pills to kick in when they upped your dose?
The reason is becuase I see him in two months, and I m sure he wants to know if I stopped having seizure. If they haven't stopped but have gotten so much better then I feel he ll think, well they haven't stopped completely so they must be fake.
Is 1,500mg of Keppra a day a low, med, or high dose?
I was taking 500mg and someone said that I was taking a low dose.

Last edited:
So I couldn't really understand the top part of your comment. So your psych doc told you that when they put you on anti seizure meds and it helped stop your seizures they were true epileptic seizures? Or when they put you on anti seizure drugs and you still had seizures they were PNES?
I don't know I that makes any sence at all.

Yes, sorry about the confusion!

My psych dr said if they were truely NON-Epileptic seizures, the Keppra would not be able to stop them. But since I was put back on the Keppra after the VEEG, and within a couple of weeks, quit having the auras and seizures, that right there pointed out that if the seizures were not epileptic seizures, then the Keppra would not stop them from coming. No seizure drug out there can stop Non-epileptic seizures from coming.

1500 is a decent dose imo.hes not going to think there fake he might just think its doing its job.depending on person can take 1 to 3 weeks for it totally kick in fully with me and kepra you might be different and I noticed higher mg side effects get wors in my case

So what I m getting from the comments is that, by them upping my dose is a good thing becuase it will help them tell weather there epileptic or PNES right? If the seizure don't happen as much now since my dose was upped, they will think there epelieptic seizure? But can someone still have seizure on meds? Of so how often?
And it's a good thing because they are taking me more seriously right?
One more thing he never said anything about testing or a diagnosis, should I be worried?
One more thing, I swear this should be the last one, I hope. How long does it take for your pills to kick in when they upped your dose?
The reason is becuase I see him in two months, and I m sure he wants to know if I stopped having seizure. If they haven't stopped but have gotten so much better then I feel he ll think, well they haven't stopped completely so they must be fake.
Is 1,500mg of Keppra a day a low, med, or high dose?
I was taking 500mg and someone said that I was taking a low dose.

Yes, I agree, if the Keppra is increased and it slows down the seizures to where youre not having them as often, or even completely takes them away, then that there should point out that the seizures are epileptic seizures.

Now for me, the lowest dose ive been on Keppra was 2500mgs a day. Ive always taken 3000mgs a day of Keppra. Which is the standard dose. It was in April and May of 2011, when my neuro wanted me to try the Lamictal, he was slowly having me weaned off the Keppra. He was making me go slow... and only taking my Keppra down 250mgs each week til i was completely off. Which would have taken a total of 3 months to be completely off. But instead, by week two, I found out I was having an allergic reaction to the lamictal, and had to be taken off the medication. Instead of increasing my Keppra right away, I was told to stay on that amount, til i saw him about three weeks later. During that time, I was having pens and needles sensations in to my hands and feet. It really bugged me. Once I saw him again, I told him about this and asked to be put back to the 3000mgs of Keppra daily. He agreed and I havnt had the pens and needles sensation since then.

I agree, 500mgs a day of Keppra is a really low dose. Moving it up to 1500mgs a day I think should truely help! But dont be suprised if you have to go up in dose, even after trying the 1500mgs daily. But again, it depends on the person too. Ive heard lots of people take the standard amount.. 3000mgs a day and some take less. But in the meantime, try to relax and keep track of any seizure activity that may occur between now and the next time you see your dr. It will help them out alot!

Back
Top Bottom