Just joined!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bobidiane

New
Reaction score
:hello:

I found you guys, because I goggled, can childhood epilepsy return? I have random and inconsistent episodes. But, like when I was a child, I would always get a stomach ache first, that part is consistent. But, it's like one in several years, or it could occurred twice with in a couple months and then nothing for years. I guess, I am reassured that it is happening to other people. I am glad I found you all!

Hello & welcome to the site, Bobidiane! Childhood seizures can return. I read an article once about a person who had been seizure free, & suddenly had one while driving after 37 years!
This is a great site to ask questions/get information and even just to vent. I've had epilepsy since childhood. My simple partial seizures weren't diagnosed until I was 14, when I had some tonic clonics, when they were seen on an EEG. Now I have complex partials, too.

Hi Bobidiane,

Welcome to CWE! I've had seizures since I was 10 yrs. old (55 now). Over the yrs. I've found that my seizures have increased I started out with absence (petit mal) seizures, then 2 yrs. later complex partial seizures started. According to my Epileptologist seizures can return often when a persons hormones are changing when they get older, but there are times when the seizures can decrease also.
I will tell you that everyone here has been a great help and friend to me when I've had any questions or needed any help. If you haven't started keeping track of your seizures keep track of them on a calendar and write down what time they happen and the type of seizure you have this can often help the Dr. see a pattern in a persons seizures. One thing that my Dr. found out about me is that cell phones were triggering seizures for me do to the frequency, take note of people are using cell phones around you and also if there's a low pressure in the weather because sometimes that can trigger seizures. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Howdy and welcome to CWE!

Yeah, unfortunately epilepsy is unpredictable that way. A person's seizure threshold can change over time in response to external and internal changes (such as metabolic, hormonal, etc.).

If you can, make a note of the details and context of the episodes: What happens, time of day, duration, general health (physical/physiological/emotional), etc. Were you hungry or tired? Caffeinated? Did anything change in your routines in the weeks or days leading up to the seizure? No guarantees, but you might be able to identify a trigger or factor that is playing a role.

Hi! It does happen. My seizures (mostly) went away during my teen years, but came right back as soon as I was 21. Welcome to the site.

Thank you for the great welcome

Thank you for the advice. I never thought to track my seizures but will start! :)

Yes, tracking them is a good idea. I've been tracking mine for over 12 years--about 5 years after I know began having complex partials.

vimpat

I stopped taking vimpat for 3 days and then I had strong tremors and before I went to the hospital I took 2 200 mg tabs of vimpat three hours before . does any one know if the vimpat will be in my system.

I don't know how long it remains in our system. I have been on Vimpat for at least 8 years, but thanks to our insurance changing, I'm trying to slowly switch from it to Zonisamide. I will remain on my 400mg/day dose of Topamax. I was taking the same dose of Vimpat. I'm currently up to 100mg/day of Zonisamide, but don't know what my final dose will be.

Hi Bobidiane

I was diagnosed with epilepsy as a baby and took my 1st tonic clonic when I was 9 months. I took tonic clonics on a regular basis until I was 3.
I was taken off meds when I was 7, spent my child hood abd teens seizure free but my seizures returned in 2002 when I was 24 after being 21 years seizure free.

After my seizures returned I was put on tegretol and had mainly simple/complex partials with the odd tonic clonic. My neuro tried me on a variety of meds but none reduced the partials so in late 2009 he suggested surgery. I saw an epilogist in the cut in June 2010 then went through pre surgery testing. I found out in Nov 2010 that I was a good candidate for surgery and had surgery in March 2011.

I was 2 years seizure free but seizures returned in 2013 & I’m having partials again but not as much often as I was and they don’t affect my life de like they used to.

My daughter had it got better so medication stopped it not wise keeping her on high power drugs like that if no sz but just lately I notice face spasms which were part of her epilepsy now do I want put her back on ep Meds for something at the moment causing no problems she 36 now.I am beginning to feel uncomfortable about it

I've had simple partials all my life. They weren't diagnosed, though, until I was a teenager. That's when I had some Tonic Clonics, & one occurred during an EEG, allowing doctors to recognize my "weird feelings" as seizures. My complex partials began about 17 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom