Keppra - American studies?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RachelR

New
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they have done any studies on Keppra in America and if the results are available on-line?

Rachel,

I ran across this on another site from a mother whose daughter takes Keppra.

Keppra - Why it affects memory
Keppra stimulates "the actions of a natural brain chemical, GABA". I goggled GABA and found the following in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA): "With regard to the human brain, it has been asserted that GABA signals interfere with the registration and consolidation stages of memory formation. This is thought to be possible because the GABA system is found in the hippocampus, an area of brain which has been implicated in memory formation." Just wanted to share this. I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but it is still interesting!

Jake

ps...Did you make it to The George?

Thanks Bernard, I'll check it out.

Ok, so I'm a little slow.....What can I say, IT'S THE MEDS!

Jake

Also if these effects are well known, why do they keep putting me on drugs which have been proven to effect memory when they know I am a student, first Tegeratol Retard and now Keppra.

Keppra, etc.

I've been on Keppra now for 3 weeks gradually working towards a higher dose, and so far so good. However, I've also noticed hair loss. I was on Lamotragine before (am still being weaned off that) and it was affecting my every day life (concentration, thought process and reaction and extremely bad memory) so I was put on Keppra. I realise that all anti-epileptic drugs are there to "dampen" the senses but has anyone found that Keppra induces more memory loss than others?

Keppra is only seizure med I have been on. Neuro said my short term memory loss is more likely from the seizures and not the meds.

I was on Keppra and got off because it was having such a serious effect on my memory. I just weaned off and am not "on" anything now. I started drinking a lot of water (2-3 quarts a day) and that seriously diminished my nocturnal Complex Partial seizures.

I'm on Keppra 750mg twice a day. Memory problems is a big issue especially if your in college. It makes you feel like you need a tutor, or your very slow. I was also thinking about taking a speech class cause it also effects your speech as well. Next time I see my neurologist I plan on telling him I don't wanna be on it no more, and be weaned off it. I want the testing done eventually for the surgery, so all these medications don't harm me anymore. It's doing to much damage to my memory. I rather take the risk and get the surgery done.

Goodluck to all.

Back
Top Bottom