Keppra and concentration

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been off Keppra for a month or two. I was only on 375mgs a day. My clarinet playing has improved markedly.

Over the fall, when I had better seizure control than now because of the Ketogenic diet, I was a disaster. I couldn't focus, got distracted, and had no musical imagination. Everything was so scattered.

Now I'm remembering how I used to play. I more focused, practice better, improve more quickly, and hear what I'm doing better. I'm more imaginative too. More musical. I can actually concentrate. Thanks be to God!

Was the Keppra was messing with your sleep? When the quality of your sleep goes downhill, everything else tends to decline as well.

BTW, I played clarinet when I was younger. I still have my now-"vintage" Buffet. :)

Was the Keppra was messing with your sleep? When the quality of your sleep goes downhill, everything else tends to decline as well.

BTW, I played clarinet when I was younger. I still have my now-"vintage" Buffet. :)

Cool.

I don't think it was due to sleep. I was certainly fatigued, going to school. I know that does affect me, but I'm sure it was the meds. I was just scatterbrained and AD. I posted one time about a year ago about Tegretol, and how I could be super focused and perfectionist to a fault when I was taking it alone. When I was on Keppra as well I didn't care anymore, I was like "I'm done." It became a problem when I was in the Band Instrument Repair course. I was able to do the work, but didn't really have the patience. I had to force myself to get things right. You have to be self-motivated to get it right. In the past I often had to force myself to get on with other things because I was obsessing. When I was practicing my clarinet I could not focus and half the time didn't even know what I was doing. I would try to improvise and sounded like a bad mocking bird, all these unrelated fragments. I worked on the same written music over and over, but never "got" what the music was doing. It was just a bunch of notes.

Back
Top Bottom