Keppra and dizzy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pattid12

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

My son's Dr. increased his Keppra from 5 to 7.5 ml. He has been on this dose for one week. Today he told me he was dizzy and came home from school (He is 16). His blood work came back normal. How long does it take your body to adjust to the new dosage?

How many MG is that of keppra? The Typical waiting period is 1 month. But it could take longer. It took me about a year to adjust but I never had dizzyness. Just keppra rage.

I currently take 500 mg x2 daily.
Cheers!

I have been on Keppra for 6 years & luckily I've never had dizziness or to many other side effects from it.
When I have a medication change I usually start getting side effects about 2 or 3 days after the medication change & allow at less 2 weeks for any side effects to happen & my body to adjust to the med change.

I hope the dizziness is just a 1 of & your son feels better once he is used to the new dosage.

My son takes it in liquid form. So that's 750mg twice daily. The doctor called me back today and said it's highly unlikely that the med is causing his dizzyness because this dose is still very low. This is him second week on this new dose.
I beg to differ with him because this only happend to him when the drug was increased. I hope other people feel as I do because I really like his doctor however doctors never like to blame the drug.

2000 mg 2x/day. I still get a little dizzy every once in a while when I'm looking at a computer screen.

Other drugs can really effect this. For instance when I drink, the dizziness comes with the buzz. Now, I hope your 16 year old isn't drinking, but alcohol works the same as other drugs. ;)

My daughter was dizzy off and on for about 4-6 weeks after starting Keppra. She was started immediately on 750 mg twice daily. Occasionally she still complains of being slightly dizzy, but it mostly went away after that first month or so.

Why do doctors discount these kinds of things? It says "causes dizziness" right on the bottle!

Why do doctors discount these kinds of things? It says "causes dizziness" right on the bottle!

For ADHD, I was on drugs that were 75% Meth. Not cool.

I think to control the seizures, the dizziness and sleepiness are worth putting up with.

I hope other people feel as I do because I really like his doctor however doctors never like to blame the drug.
I agree with you! One of my neuros never wanted to admit that the med might be to blame for the side effects that my medication was known to cause!

The Keppra increase definitely seems like the most likely cause of the dizziness. (I'm assuming there's nothing else going on with your son like an infection or him missing meals or sleep). Everyone reacts differently to meds, so hard to know when your son will adjust to the dose increase. I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom