Keppra hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

angel

New
Reaction score
anyone,

ever notice hair loss with keppra? I have long thick hair
it seems to be falling out everyday .... I run my hands through my hair and lots of hair in my hands... my hair is becoming thinner..... anyone, know what might help...

i dont want to quit the keppra just yet.. it seems to be helping my seizures...

any advice?

thanks,
angel

Angel - I always had a ton of hair loss when I was pregnant and after for a while.
Do you think your hormones are out of balance?

Perhaps build up your system to counteract the depletion that the keppra is causing.
that would be my advice

Unfortunately I don't have any advice on this, apart from this ain't the first time I've heard off this happening.

It might be one off those 'talk to the Doc and see what they suggest' situations.

My hair's fallen out anyway thanks to Genetics !!....I just call it my solar panel for a Love God :rock:

Yes, Keppra can make your hair fall out. 5 years ago when I started my roller coaster ride of finding a new AED, I tried Keppra and my hair started falling out. I take Lamictal and Topamax now and my hair still comes out. All of the newer AEDs make my hair fall out.
When I'm done with the shower I have a palm full of hair. I have tried everything! I have even gone to a specail doctor that has tested all my hormones and I'm all in balance. They are at a loss as well.
There is nothing that I can to do stop it. Maybe you will find something wonderful and if you do let me know.
I'm starting to think I'm going to quit driving, stay home and not take my meds. I will seize daily but I'll have hair.
It's funny you should post this today, I haven't gotten out of bed all weekend over this subject. I had, HAD being the key word, hair like yours very, very thick, you can see my scalp now and my scar. ( I had surgery 15 years ago) I don't know what to do, it doesn't even feel like my hair anymore.

I lost enormous amounts of hair taking Depakote ~shudder~ but it came back (well, the hair on my head came back when I stopped taking it and - lo and behold - it came back CURLY).
I took Keppra with no problems and Topamax has caused nothing like that.

Found this when searching manganese requirements. Something to certainly ask the doctor about. I find it interesting that it affects the liver as well.

Mineral metabolism of 19 patients with hair loss was examined and the analysis showed manganese deficiency in all. Eighteen patients showed considerable problems with calcium absorption, and twelve patients had problems with their zinc metabolism. Specific nutritional and mineral therapy resulted in improved hair growth after 2-3 months of treatment. [Blaurock-Busch, E. Wichtige Nahrstoffe fur Gesunde Haut und Haare, Kosmetik Internat. 3/87]
http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C326152.html

Manganese should not be used in persons with liver or kidney problems

Although not all patients showed reduced tissue manganese levels, most those with frequent seizures had manganese levels falling below the lowest control level, suggesting a relationship between manganese tissue levels and high seizure activity.
http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/29/11/1466

Hi Angel. I wish I could help you. Unfortunately, I have experienced the same problem with most of the AED's I've been on. And I haven't even started Keppra.....YET! I talk to my Neuro tomorrow (MONDAY) about my lab results. After that I will start 500mgs Keppra 2 x per day. I think that most AED's out there cause some hair loss. More in some people and less in others. We just happen to fall into the "more in some" category.
Good luck honey......I'm rooting for you.
:boogie:

Keppra and the Wonderful World of Depakote

I liked KEPPRA --- it does work!

I was doing fine at 1500 mg daily
(750 mg x 2), but once the Epi
doubled it to 3000 mg - (1500 mg
x 2) it put me into a state of psychosis
and made me an angry person. But
I also was taking Zonegran 400 mg
daily too (200 mg x 2).

I'm not a very big person. I'm petite
and small; and hypersensitive to meds
with numerous allergies or reactions.

But I understood they had to take me
off of it because it was also effecting
my cardiac system as well, *sigh*.

Depakote - WAS STRANGE!

Example:

Depakote & Phenobarbital - made me so
mean and nasty - you'd be glad you were
10,000 miles away from me!

Depakote & Mysoline - you'd want to spend
an entire day with me and never want to go
home!

Depakote & Klonopin - would be like you're
hanging out with Jeff Foxworthy sometimes
or Albert Einstein the other times. It was
never a dull moment.

Depakote & Ativan - (stronger than Klonopin)
Made me sleepy all the time.

I never was on Depakote long enough for
Depakote to do much of anything, the longest
span I've ever been on Depakote was probably
4 months tops maybe before they removed it.
NOTE: I was on other AED's as well besides
those listed above - been on as many as 5
AED's at one point. ICK!

Phenobarbital was the very FIRST AED they
put on the ALLERGY LIST. It's strange; because
Mysoline is in the same family of Phenobarbital;
in the Barbiturates; but I have no side-effects
or any problems with Mysoline (generic is known
as Primidone).

Yes, Keppra can make your hair fall out. 5 years ago when I started my roller coaster ride of finding a new AED, I tried Keppra and my hair started falling out. I take Lamictal and Topamax now and my hair still comes out. All of the newer AEDs make my hair fall out.
When I'm done with the shower I have a palm full of hair. I have tried everything! I have even gone to a specail doctor that has tested all my hormones and I'm all in balance. They are at a loss as well.
There is nothing that I can to do stop it. Maybe you will find something wonderful and if you do let me know.
I'm starting to think I'm going to quit driving, stay home and not take my meds. I will seize daily but I'll (have hair.
It's funny you should post this today, I haven't gotten out of bed all weekend over this subject. I had, HAD being the key word, hair like yours very, very thick, you can see my scalp now and my scar. ( I had surgery 15 years ago) I don't know what to do, it doesn't even feel like my hair anymore.

don't quit your meds..... I want to quit mine sometimes too.... i was reading some online forum that helps people with e.... i cant remember where it was though... they were talking about doctor's prescribing prenatal vit for hair loss... I almost took a picture of the hair that came out in the shower yesterday... i know, my hair feels like straw breaking off and falling out.... ill ask my neuro about it....

the doctor wants me to try tegretol "nope" no way...

If i find something for our hair ill try it and let you know... hair mask natural vit things like that Or maybe prenatal vits.....

(((((((((((hugs ))))))angel

Bemused Oddity,

dont forget to take vit b6 when you take each dose of keppra.... it help's alot .... i take 100mg b6 with my keppra in the morning .... then half vit b6 50mg at night.... it all depends on your own body and what the doctor says about how much b6 to take...

((((((hugs)))))))))
angel

brain,

im taking 1000mg keppra and 1 mg klonopin a day thats enough keppra for me.... you and I are about the same im 5'4 small boned 3000mg of keppra would i bet send me to outer space:( no thanks, I hear ya .....

TeeTee's " I just call it my solar panel for a Love God... " sorry, most of us girls would like to keep our hair:) I bet though your Quite handsome in a devilish sorta way ;)
hugs & lots of love

angel

maground.jpg

Last edited:
TeeTee's " I just call it my solar panel for a Love God... " sorry, most of us girls would like to keep our hair:) I bet though your Quite handsome in a devilish sorta way ;)

Awww, shucks Angel - you're a sweetheart.....I'm starting to go red !

Question for ya : why are so 'negative' about Tegretol ? That's what I'm on at the mo, and was just wondering what you've heard ?

The doctor told me that he would have to be monitoring my blood levels #1 they haven't had to do this with keppra....( while on lamictal I had bleeding problems etc had to have blood test) I'm not insured right now thats expensive (self pay) I'm afraid of of toxicity because of my bladder backing into my kidneys....

Ive read people calling it tegretard because it makes them slower and mentally unresponsive....

I have kids to take care of and the thought of being a zombie doesn't sound fun......

I GUESS I'm just afraid after reading others reactions on the other forums it freaks me out... but then again everyones different......

if i have to ill try it..... I really hate changing meds though... SO i want to at least try to stay on one for a while....

i heard it causes weight gain also is this true?

http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/tegretol.pdf

Baseline and periodic complete urinalysis and BUN determinations are recommended for
patients treated with this agent because of observed renal dysfunction.

love,
angel

Last edited:
I found some links that might help us with our hair.... im going to try some ...

Losing your locks? These foods can help
Diet tips for more luxurious hair from TODAY nutritionist Joy Bauer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16796808/

Holistic Sea Essence Organic Shampoo

http://www.bewellstaywell.com/hair_care.htm

Hair Conditioner One Recipe

(www.creativehomemaking.com)
Hair Conditioner
Combine mashed avocado with some coconut milk. Comb it through the hair and let sit for 10 -15 minutes, rinse out.

I think i might try mashed avocado with some coconut milk see if it helps of corse we need to really start from the inside out foods etc.... LOTS water.....

love angel

The doctor told me that he would have to be monitoring my blood levels #1 they haven't had to do this with keppra....( while on lamictal I had bleeding problems etc had to have blood test) I'm not insured right now thats expensive (self pay) I'm afraid of of toxicity because of my bladder backing into my kidneys....

Ive read people calling it tegretard because it makes them slower and mentally unresponsive....

I have kids to take care of and the thought of being a zombie doesn't sound fun......

I GUESS I'm just afraid after reading others reactions on the other forums it freaks me out... but then again everyones different......

if i have to ill try it..... I really hate changing meds though... SO i want to at least try to stay on one for a while....

i heard it causes weight gain also is this true?

How odd.....

Answer 1 : I've never had to have my blood levels monitored due to being on Tegretol :huh:

Answer 2 : It does drain you at times, but nowhere near to zombie form. I'm down the gym 3 times a week, and very alert during the day. I do get my 'I'm feeling tired' days, but don't we all ? In fact, thinking about it - what with me being on Tegretol, Clobazam, and my Ulcerative Colitis tablets that reduce my white blood cell count, I'm amazed that I can get out off a chair if that's the case with Tegretol.

Answer 3 : I haven't got a clue about putting on weight through the medication. Although, I have quite a high metabolism so maybe that's where I differ ? The worst product I've known me be on which may make me put on weight would be the Steroids when my Colitis was in reeeeal poor condition.

So, as per the above - I think it's just an individual thing, and let's be honest, what do most people put on these kinda sites.....the bad news. Just food for thought ;)

Another viewpoint to look at TT

Question for ya : why are so 'negative' about Tegretol ? That's what I'm on at the mo, and was just wondering what you've heard ?

I'm allergic to Tegretol & Trileptal (which is Tegretol
with oxygen), that's on my AED Allergy list along
with Keppra.

Pheno, Teg, Trilep, Kep ....

:(

Nothing negative.

Everyone reacts to AED's differently. To
some it's a wonder drug; to others it's a
hellish nightmare. That's the glorious issue
of the Wonderful World of AED's! *gag*

You just never know what's going to happen
until you try it!

I'm on Zonegran for example - tons of people
will tell you it's a HIDEOUS drug! But for me
it's a Wonder Drug. It works! I have no side
effects, no nothing.

See the point?

What works for others may not work for you,
we're all unique and different, and the only
way one can find out is - patiently try it out.
Sometimes I feel sorry for Neurologists and
Epileptologists ~ it's got to be a major PITA
having to tailor to everyone specifically!

(Ever think about that? Every single person is
different and is handled differently!)

Bemused Oddity,

dont forget to take vit b6 when you take each dose of keppra.... it help's alot .... i take 100mg b6 with my keppra in the morning .... then half vit b6 50mg at night.... it all depends on your own body and what the doctor says about how much b6 to take...

((((((hugs)))))))))
angel

Thanks for the B6 recommendation!!!!

TT -
Answer 1 : I've never had to have my blood levels monitored due to being on Tegretol
I was told when Rebecca started taking this that blood tests needed to be done often to make sure her liver count was safe. You might double check on that one.

Answer 2 : It does drain you at times, but nowhere near to zombie form. I'm down the gym 3 times a week, and very alert during the day. I do get my 'I'm feeling tired' days, but don't we all ? In fact, thinking about it - what with me being on Tegretol, Clobazam, and my Ulcerative Colitis tablets that reduce my white blood cell count, I'm amazed that I can get out off a chair if that's the case with Tegretol.

Rebecca was fine with the energy, but she had terrible vision loss. Sometimes for days at a time. She would get up from a seated position and it would go. Came back just as quick, but it meant she needed an aid at school, and it made reading difficult, so she was behind in her studies. Came off it and a month later she had no more vision issues.

So, as per the above - I think it's just an individual thing, and let's be honest, what do most people put on these kinda sites.....the bad news. Just food for thought
Very good point, I remember that Bernard said the same thing and it resonated with me. I do agree with you there. However, I am thankful to know what to be aware of and how the side effects might present themselves.

lastnight my husband had to call an ambulance ... I had hives so bad chest pain that went away.... i was fine except for the hives from head to toe... ITCHY ITCHY BURNING skin OMG!

Im fine still itchy a little they gave me a shot 50mg benadryl..... well, this morning im looking online before i can call my urologist they talked to the neuro on call last night....

anyways if you look up Nitro Macro which is what gave me the hives we think it says :

(Drugs that contain magnesium such as magnesium salicylate (Magan) and choline-magnesium salicylate (Arthropan) as well as antacids like Maalox, Mylanta, Milk of Magnesia, Gelusil, and others may decrease the amount of Nitro Macro that gets absorbed into the body. Avoid taking medications that contain magnesium within two hours before and after a dose of Nitro Macro.) the people who took my blood pressure last night said it was 142 over 94 or something like that ...thats not good i dont think..... all in all i think maybe these things are why my hair is falling out......

well, i looked up keppra it says :

500 mg: Each yellow, oblong-shaped, film-coated tablet, marked with "ucb" and "500" on one side, contains levetiracetam 500 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, cornstarch, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol 4000, povidone, talc, titanium dioxide, FD&C Blue No. 2, and yellow iron oxide.

Im guessing its because i took them an hour 1/2 apart? i dont know maybe thats why my hair was falling out i started getting these big bumps on my head..... itching like a jumping bean trying to get out of the box! then hives all over....

Ill have to ask neuro and urologists about this one...... whats odd though is ive been on the med 10 days (nitro macro) three days off then when i started the maintenance dose 100mg.... bam, hives..

still kinda tired and itchy,,, no hives though today thank god... that suxed bad...

its real important to know whats in the drugs we are taking... to keep from having off the wall side effects... I used to not look... because i didnt want to know..... be sure to look up what ingredients our in your meds when you have to take other meds with them..... you might be supprised what the doctors over look.... ( they get pretty busy sometimes)

love itchy itchy angel

ps now i know why my neuro told me to keep benadryl handy....... that would have stopped it they said that it takes longer than the shot... still tho i regret not keeping it in my house... actually i tried lotion lol didnt work and shampoo for itchy scalp that didnt work ..... they kinda started laughhing when i told them the thought of pulling my hair out had crossed my mind... heh

Last edited:
I am really not clear as to what you took? Surely sounds like an allergic reaction to me.
What is Nitro Macro? Did the neurologist also tell you about the risk of antihistamines and seizures?

A few medicines that you pick up off the shelf at the drug store can potentially increase the frequency of seizures in people with epilepsy, or even cause first-time seizures. The most common one of this kind is probably diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in medications like Benadryl, which is used for colds, allergies, and to promote sleep. If you have epilepsy, you should talk to your doctor before you use it.
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/provoke_otc

Back
Top Bottom