KEPPRA in Children

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kashani19

New
Reaction score
My daughter just started taking Keppra along with her Topirimate - she is on 1ml in the morning and 3ml at night. It doesn't make her drowsy as much as it makes her emotional. Anything from mad to sad and it happens first thing in the morning and at night. Anyone who has taken this before, will that go away just like the drowsy part did? And I read on here that people take it in mg. My daughter is taking it in ml. I can't figure out if it is too much or not enough. She has started taking it for her daily aura's.

Hi

My son is going off keppra because of aggression,increased seizures and being very emotional. He was on 3.5 ml and the side effects outweighed the benefits for him and he is slowly getting tapered off it.His emotionality has levelled out since he has been lowered.

I strongly advise that if you feel something isn't right to clarify with the neurologist and that will hopefully give you peace of mind. All medicines are dependant on the person so not one person can take the same meds with the same effects.

Hi Kashani,
How old is your daughter? My son (age 14 months) just started taking Keppra in August. I haven't really noticed any behavior changes. Even when he is fussy, it is hard for me to tell if it is due to the medicine because children at this age may have tantrums or frustration when they are tired, hungry, or ill and cannot express themselves verbally. I just do my best to be calm with him and hug or soothe him if I feel he is frustrated. I also try to stick to routines so that he does not get overly tired or hungry throughout the day.

My son is currently taking 3.5 ml twice a day which the doctor said we may increase if the seizures continue.

On the package we have, it says that 1 ml of liquid equals 100 mg. So my son is actually taking 350 mg twice a day. I think some people also take tablets, but I am not sure.

Hi

My son is going off keppra because of aggression,increased seizures and being very emotional. He was on 3.5 ml and the side effects outweighed the benefits for him and he is slowly getting tapered off it.His emotionality has levelled out since he has been lowered.

I strongly advise that if you feel something isn't right to clarify with the neurologist and that will hopefully give you peace of mind. All medicines are dependant on the person so not one person can take the same meds with the same effects.

Stacey
My daughter is 7 years old. She started taking the Keppra just last Wednesday because she was having Aura's daily. Sometimes 5 aura's a day. So she is on both medicines at the moment. Topamax and Keppra. I have to call my Neurologist tomorrow to give them an update of how she is doing on the meds and I will tell him about her emotions. She is still having aura's on the Keppra, just not as many. So I think it is helping in that aspect. Thank you for your information, it is very helpful.

Hi Kashani,
How old is your daughter? My son (age 14 months) just started taking Keppra in August. I haven't really noticed any behavior changes. Even when he is fussy, it is hard for me to tell if it is due to the medicine because children at this age may have tantrums or frustration when they are tired, hungry, or ill and cannot express themselves verbally. I just do my best to be calm with him and hug or soothe him if I feel he is frustrated. I also try to stick to routines so that he does not get overly tired or hungry throughout the day.

My son is currently taking 3.5 ml twice a day which the doctor said we may increase if the seizures continue.

On the package we have, it says that 1 ml of liquid equals 100 mg. So my son is actually taking 350 mg twice a day. I think some people also take tablets, but I am not sure.

Thank you for the information. So that makes my daughter who is 7 years old taking 400 mg a day. She started taking the Keppra along with her topamax for her aura's. She was having several weekly and sometimes daily. The aura's have decreased so I think the medicine is helping. I would be willing to give it a little more time for her emotionally but not sure how much longer I can handle it. It is either tears or anger. I feel bad for her that she is having so many emotions lately. Thank you for the wonderful information. You have been most helpful!

Back
Top Bottom