Lamictal and Ginseng

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rscorrado

New
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying a more natural approach for treating epilepsy. I'm looking into vitamins and herbs. I am currently taking lamictal. Is it bad to take ginseng with epilepsy? I was told this in the past. If this is true, is it because it has a dangerous interaction or just because it can decrease the effect of lamictal?

I was told never to take ginseng. Look into the gard diet, magnesium and B-supplements---much safer.--LMT

Welcome to the site. There's tons of stuff here on supplements & seizures if you look.

It was suggested to me that if I want to take ginseng to use Siberian Ginseng since it's not as strong. I've been taking it for years to counter the drowsy effects of my tegretol & haven't seen any correlation between my seizures & when I take or stop taking ginseng yet.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/ginseng-5116/

Last edited:
People are normally told to avoid ginseng because it's a stimulant...like caffeine. In large quantities or with high potency, it can trigger seizures.

Vitamins and Meds

I am not familiar with the side effects of combining Ginseng and Lamictal, but my Dr.'s (many in last 11 years) have always recommended that I take Folic Acid, Calcium, and Vitamin C. I have also read in numerous books and articles that Fish Oil is very good for those on medications. These suppliments are known to strengthen the immune system. It would be a good idea to ask the Dr. if this is right for you. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom