Lamictal question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

annietn41

New
Reaction score
I recently refilled my Lamictal. I take 200mg tabs and they have always been blue and shaped sort of like a shield. The pills I just got are round and green. My husband picked up my prescription so I called the pharmacist when I got home and asked him about it. He said it is the same pill just from a different manufacturer. I looked online and could not find anything about them being a different size/shape/color.

I am not complaining because I have gone 5 days seizure free and I have not done that in the 10 years I have had epilepsy. I have simple partial seizures by the way.

Anyone else take Lamictal and are they shaped like this? They have to be different because I feel so much better!! I sort of feel like my old self again. I do take the generic brand and have most of the time except when I first started taking these.

Anyway - thanks!

Rita

Really glad that you are feeling better Rita.
My daughter took Lamictal for a while, but I can't remember the color.
I am not sure if this site will help you answer your question or not, but I remember it was interesting reading others experiences on a med:

www.askapatient.com

I've noticed the regular Lamictal look sort of sword shaped, and the XR is a colored circle with a round white color on the inside. However my 200mg pills are round and blue with the white in the middle. Could you have gotten the XR instead of the regular?

Things that make you go hmmmmm. :)

ETA: I have 2 diff sample packs of the regular stuff and they are noticbly different- some are large pills, and some are tiny, yet its all the same med...

All the XR looked the same tho- probably because its a newer version..

I have months and months supply of samples of both the XR and the regular...probably won't need to buy til February..lol.

Last edited:
I did a little search & the only green lamictal I could find were 25 mg.
lamictal25mg.jpg

Mine are not shaped like that - they are a complete circle and very light green and semi small. Stupid question but what is XR? I've been on Lamictal for over 4 years and they have always been blue and shaped like a shield. I don't know why this bothers me as they are working. I just can't find anything on the Internet about them being this shape and color.

Thanks everyone for the replies

Rita

I found it

Lamotrigine
Strength(s)
200 mg
Imprint(s)
M L54

Manufacturer / Distributor
Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.

The picture is exactly like my pills - is this the generic of Lamictal? It's just really strange on how much better I feel when I've been on these pills for 4 years and have never gone seizure free for this long. Not complaining - just want to ask the pharmacist if I can continue getting this brand of the medicine. Not sure if this is the generic or not - is Lamotrigine the generic brand of Lamictal?

Rita

is Lamotrigine the generic brand of Lamictal?

Lamictal is a brand name (for marketing). Lamotrigine is drug's pharmaceutical name. So, yes, you could consider it the generic brand name.

Hi annietn41 --

XR stands for Extended Release. But that's not what you got. You what you got was definitely generic. See the link below -- the site shows the colors/shapes of all the generic forms of Lamictal. They vary depending on the manufacturer.

http://www.drugs.com/imprints.php?action=search&drugname=lamotrigine&start=10

The problem with generics is that they can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and batch to batch in the amount of active ingredient. So if you're sensitive to small variations in dosage level, then that can cause a problem with seizure control. Pharmacies often order different batches of generic from month to month, so you might get one version one month and a different version the next month. It's great that the current batch/variety is working for you! I wonder if it has slightly more than the brand version you were taking had? Or maybe it is being absorbed better?

I don't know what it is but I'm going to ask my pharmacist. It's really weird because my doctor said I should never take the generic form. Wonder why they are giving it to me now? Will have to ask about that too. This drug must have more of something (or less) - whatever it is it sure is helping me out!!

Rita

Unless the doctor's rx says "brand only, no substitutions" pharmacies will sometimes substitute the generic form because it costs less. Usually it has a negative effect -- it's great that it's working well for you -- now the trick is to get the same batch every time...

Thats what mine says. Mylan. so you just got the generic form too. Although mine are still white at 25mg size. Boring! I want the fun coloured name brand stuff

Your Lamictal is now Lamortigine, a generic version of that medication. I take the generic right now and it is supposed to be 85-120% (if I remember) as effective as the "real" /brand name medication. Its just cheaper. The only problem is, is that the medication can be made by several different manufactures instead of one major company. So the percentages can be off a little depending on the company.

You would have to ask your doctor to write "brand name only" on your script in order to get it in the brand name. I'm going to have to do that as well. The insurance companies want to try to not pay for the expensive medications, but the generic instead.

Take care,
Crystal

If the blue shield shaped Lamictal pills I was getting before were the brand name I don't want them back - LOL - these pills are working wonderfully for me and I haven't had any type of aura/seizure in 5 days and I have NEVER gone this long!! I at least get auras 2 or 3 times a day every single day. It's weird then that the generic is working better for me. I have a 90 day supply but who's to say the next time I filll them if I will get the same thing again or go back to the blue ones. If the blue ones are not the generic brand then it should have cost more and they cost the same as these. I am going to go talk to the pharmacist - he is the perfect person to ask I think.

Rita

It's weird then that the generic is working better for me.

I don't think so. I know many people are reluctant to try generics because of differences in the amount of medication or the filler but it is possible that they have a filler that reacts better to your system or a small difference in dosage that suits you better.

Epileric is

right....it may very well be the filler that is what's causing the generic to work for you. The OTHER thing that may be causing the generic to work well for you is that because generics are MORE than the regular Lamictal dosage.

I know that sounds confusing, but Crystal referred to it earlier, I think. Generics are between 80 to 120% effective in comparison to the brand name. The chemical make up is identical, but the effectiveness is not the same. So, if you're getting a batch that is TOO EFFECTIVE, you might be feeling better, but you might also be screwing up your blood levels, too.

Wow - screwing up my blood levels when they are working for me perfectly? I want to keep taking these. I am going to go see my pharmacist today and ask him if he can get these from this same manufacturer every time. He knows me very well from getting my medication there and I know he will do all he can to help. Maybe I should call my neuro about them as well?? I just figured having something that works is the right thing to keep taking. Going on 7 days seizure free now. I am so happy but still scared one will come on - so far so good though.

Rita

Good luck Rita -- I hope everything stays on track. It's great to find something that works, lets hope the drug companies/pharmacy don't make it hard for you.

The skinny

Rita,

Here is the bottom line (short and sweet). It's great that you are feeling better but you need to speak with your doctor and make sure that you understand (for each drug) if it is ok for you to take the generic. As you have heard the generics can be anywhere from 85-120 of the brand name. Lamictal (I am also on it) is a very potent drug and increases the side effects of all other AED's. So you need to have your blood monitored closely if you are on more than one AED for that reason (are you on more than one AED)? Sometimes it is ok to take the generic form of an AED (Clonopin is one example) you can get away with it with no problem. YOU CANNOT SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN GENERIC AND BRAND NAME THOUGH!!! Stick with what you are on (just my advise). I take NOTHING but the brand name for all of my drugs because I don't trust the generics.

David~

I'm with Funcle. I don't trust the generics. It's great that generic Lamictal works for you but I had a terrible side effect. My hair was falling out, profusely. Once back on brand name my hair got its bounce back rather quickly. (I had the same problem with Depakote). Just filled my Ambien script when in North Carolina and the pills were round and purple unlike what I'm accustomed to...thin, oblong shaped and white. The pharmacist assured me they were the same but just from a different manufacturer. Worked just as well as what I was accustomed to. And congratulations on being five days seizure free!!!

Back
Top Bottom