Lamictal rash?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been taking Lamictal for several months (I think just about three, more or less) and I just upped to 300mg a day (100 in the morning and 200 at night). I'm now well within the therapeutic range, but I only just got that way.

This morning, I woke up with some purplish and red spots on my thigh. The collection of spots was about the size of a silver dollar. They hadn't been there the night before. I've heard about Lamictal causing rashes, and I'm a little concerned. I'm keeping an eye on it, but I figured you guys would know a lot about this. Do you think this could be a Lamictal rash?

Righter, welcome! Several years ago, I tried Lamictal. After a couple of months I developed a small rash on my chest, within a few days the rash spread everywhere and I mean EVERYwhere. My lips became huge, as did my tongue and throat. Within a couple hours it became hard to breath and I couldn't swallow. I went to the ER and I was admitted upstairs and had to stay over a week. If you can I would call your dr. as soon as possible just to let them know. Keep us informed.

When in doubt, call your doc, or even head to the ER if it's getting worse. 9 times out of ten, if Lamictal causes a rash, it's an ordinary allergic reaction. But you don't want to be the tenth person who gets the much more serious Stevens-Johnson version. Best to have a doc figure out which is which.

Back
Top Bottom