Lamictal - severe joint pain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Katiered

New
Reaction score
Hey! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Wondering - the websites say to call your doctor immediately for body pain, fever etc. (I assume its alluding to 'the rash') but I don't want to call again for no reason and seem paranoid since I don't have a rash, just extreme joint pain (can't sleep, can't even sit comfortably, ibuprofen/Tylenol does nothing, only 27 with no history of issues). Don't want to call and bother them because we had to talk A LOT over the last week and a bit because the student doctor screwed up my med schedule. It's sorted out now, but increasing quicker (up to 400 over 4 months, but I've up up to 200 in the past with no issues)

Has anyone experienced this? Is it something to be concerned about? Or is it just a normal side effect I'm going to have to deal with?

Thanks for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

i've never had this kind of problem. if you are really concerned or you think it is getting worse then you should call your doctor to see if it is side affects or if it's possibly something else

I had this problem with Tegretol when I increased the dose. The joint pain was terrible. It was even in my fingers. I thought it was due to arthritis but it has all subsided to a reasonable level now. I agree with Sonia that you should call your doctor if you are concerned.

Once my Lamictal dosage was increased, my joints started hurting just a little bit. Lately, they been killing me! I've had joint issues for quite awhile anyways, but I have noticed a slight increase in pain. Not to the extent you seem to be having.

Ultimately, if you're worried, never hesitate to call your doctor and ask questions/voice your concerns! I hope things work out for you, Katiered!!!! :)

Thanks a lot! Not that I wish pain on you :) but it's nice to hear someone else going through the same thing. Although it sounds like it's just getting worse for you. Are you going it talk with your doc Skyfire, or are you not overly bothered by it?

I'm just hesitant to talk to my neurologist because my psychiatrist upped my dose a lot quicker to stabilize my mood, and I'm not sure how irritated my neuro. will be by my 'playing'.

I've been on Lamictal 2 weeks now and last Friday night I had bad sleep seizures I'm told, so I can blame them for the excruciating right-hip pain I've been going through on-off.
So I can relate to your saying "Lamictal" and "joint pain" :) but I don't know about their correlation. I went in to see my neurologist today for a drop-in appointment to see if I should stop the pills, and he told me he doubted it was the Lamictal because of its tolerability. I was up late that night... then seizure... bad move.

I've been out of my Magnesium Malate pills for a good solid two weeks now too which just came to mind as a possible issue.

Have you resolved the joint pain issue and how high a dose of Lamotrigine are/were you on? I have been on Lamotrigine for probably 2 1/2 yrs now and noticing pain in my shoulders primarily. I mentioned it once briefly with a few other concerns to my family doctor. She said that my neurologist didn't think it had anything to do with the medication. I never noticed joint pain when I was on tegretol. I am on 150mg of Lamotrigine twice a day.

I get joint pain I just back from hospital this afternoon had cortisone injection for awfull joint pain.been on lamotrgine many years and joint pain worse ever been

How much lamotrigine are you on? I am on 150mg twice a day. Do you find that the pain comes or is always there at varying levels? My right shoulder seems to bother me the most and lately it seems to my left elbow and my ankles.

In my case on 500mg a day but I dropped 100 mg few months back and no joint pain still there and I wish I mention it to cocker yesterday.I going phone mention it tomorrow..I so grateful to this forum I learn something all time I never knew lamotrgine could cause joint pain.
I had injection yesterday for joint pain freedom of pain lasted about and hour hence I was on this site 3am this morning asking daft question on another thread.i taken 4 times the prescribed clobzam and far to many nytol just get peace from joint pain and sleep.Early hours of morning knocking back all meds crondraindicated meds.Desperation makes you do anything for nights sleep.So I guess I be on here tonight asking more profound questions that can't be answered

God almighty iPad pocessed by devil again that last post my iPad screwed up

Just add it only scenario posted by me under influence of nytol.Not something that happened

I don't use Lamictal but I suffer severe joint pains due to Strumazol (which is a thyroid blocker), my doctor doesn't consider it a dangerous or severe side effect but calls it a common one. But I do hate having rheumatic finger knuckles for two days, followed by knees so sore I hardly can walk for the next two days, three days later waking up with a sore elbow etc.

With under active thyroid S I understand is metabolise at cellular level that in tissues so thyroid test can be 2weeks behind what blood test shows today was what the thyroid was doing two weeks before.because it cellular it common have whole body hurting.This proberly come out as drivel my iPad changing everything I type including spelling and grammar

Back
Top Bottom