Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLynn

New
Reaction score
Hi, the new doc that I saw today that my Reg doc wanted me to see (not my neurologist though), gave me a sample bottle of lamictal and wants me to start taking it today, along with the 15mg of diazepam I take. Its a low dose to start, just 25mg's.
Anyone here taking this?
I am so.... drug paranoid, mostly because of my allergies and history of hives, etc.
She hopes to transition me over to this Lamictal and reduce the diazepam back to what I used to take.
She said it may help with anxiety and depression as well as the seizures?
Let me know your experience. Im going to try it, just a bit chicken sh**
and woudl appreciate your input first on what I might expect.
Should I take it at night, or during the day?
Whatever suggestions you have are welcomed.
JLynn

OK, I took that

for over 7 years. I did OK on it for most of the time. I started having memory issues though and the neuro and I agreed to change it.

However, the best way to start on it is at night. You're going to be a little, um, woozy. If you react like I did, that is. Make sure you follow the instructions for titrating up correctly. Not too fast......

I have been taking 450mg of Lamictal daily for about 7 years and as far as I am aware I have had no bad side effects the only thing I have noticed is I get a bit dopey mid afternoon, but it gives me an excuse to sleep at work :eek:)

Hi JLynn,

I take both. I can tell you I do not like taking alot of meds and their side effects and reactions either, so I am very cautious and have a hard time starting new ones.. Very hard for me. Take the Lamictal however they told you..you need to go VERY slowly onto it though. I did fine..not any real bad side effects for me..and usually everything bothers me. Maybe a little sleepy, and what they ended up doing for me..is after I was on the doses they wanted they switched the higher amt. for me to take in the evening. I take the valium in the evening before bed..which they'll wean me off of. I am on an extremely low dose..2.5 mg. Maybe slightly unbalanced, but I may be like that without Lamictal, who knows?? : )) I tried a few others..and so far Lamictal has helped me and I think I am doing well as far as the side effects. Best of luck and keep us posted. The most important thing to watch for is a large rash..and obviously any other side effects..call your Dr. ASAP.
Michelle

Rebecca tried this, and she went on it very very slowly.
It caused extreme muscle / body pain. To the extent she couldn't lift her head. She is a competitive athlete, so this was not acceptable. It also began to cause fever, so her doctor decided to take her off of it.

Robin,

It is hard for me to know..I have chronic pain/muscle weakness always..for yrs. Plus I get low grade fevers..anyways. It is tough when you can't differentiate the side effects from the actual usual problem. I am still not sure if it is only fibro., autoimmune which is strong in my immediate family or what..the Drs think something will eventually come out.

Michelle

P.S.
I am glad Rebecca is doing well and not on any meds. That is wonderful! Especially, she is a young lady.

M

I'm on 400mg of Lamictal. It has worked really well for me with very few side effects. In comparison to other drugs, I was not nearly as drowsy. It's my understanding that Lamictal can be used for bi-polar.

About the only thing I dislike about it is the fact that you have to be ready with a drink immediately after popping it in your mouth. It practically dissolves immediately.

Otherwise, I've had excellent seizure control from using it.

I take 300 MG of lamictal twice daily. I have taken it for about three years. It is one of the best medications that I have taken.

I take 100 mg of Lamictal twice a day. I have not had any bad side effects. I don't like being a walking lab experiment, so I try to avoid meds whenever possible...Lamictal has less side effects (for me) than any other AED I've tried. (Do have a drink available immediately because it tastes terrible)

I've looked up my meds in my handy-dandy nursing drug handbook and here's some of what it says about Lamictal:

USES: Adjunctive therapy in adults and children with partial seizures, treatment of adults and children with generalized seizures of Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Conversion to monotherapy in adults treated with an another enzyme-inducing AED. Long-term maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder. Treatment of pts 2 yrs and older with primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures.

CONTRAINDICATIONS: None known

CAUTIONS: Renal (kidney), hepatic (liver), cardiac impairment

PREGNANCY/LACTATION: Distributed in breast milk. Breast-feeding not recommended. Increased fetal risk of oral cleft formation has been noted with use during pregnancy. Pregnancy category C.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Carbamazepine, phenobarbitol, primidone, valproic acid decrease concentration. May increase concentration of carbamazepine, valproic acid. May decrease effect of oral contraceptives.

HERBAL INTERACTIONS: Evening primrose may decrease seizure threshold

Food Interactions: None known.

DISCONTINUATION THERAPY: A dosage reduction of approximately 50% per wk over at least 2 wks is recommended.

SIDE EFFECTS:
Frequent: Dizziness (38%), headache (29%), diplopia (double vision) (28%), nausea (19%), blurred vision (16%), somnolence, rhinitis (runny nose) (14%).
Occasional: (10%-5%): rash, pharyngitis, vomiting, cough, flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, dysmenorrhea, fever, insomnia, dyspepsia.
Rare: Constipation, tremor, anxiety, pruritus, vagnintis, hypersensitivity reaction.
ADVERSE EFFECTS/TOXIC REACTIONS: Abrupt withdrawl may increase seizure frequency. Serious rashes, including Stevens-Johnson syndrome have been reported.

Hope that helps:) This is one of the better meds I've taken.

When Rebecca was on this medication we were told that it is one drug, that your Time of Month can actually make this medication either more potent, or less so, depending on your own metabolism.

When Rebecca was on this medication we were told that it is one drug, that your Time of Month can actually make this medication either more potent, or less so, depending on your own metabolism.

:ponder:I didn't see anything about increased/decreased potency related to TOM in the drug handbook, but the term 'dysmenrrhea' refers to difficult/painful/unpleasant TOM symptoms... I don't doubt it though--now that you mention it, I have noticed that I become excessively sleepy the day before my TOM, but I thought it was just a PMS symptom...

This information was offered to us via the neurologist. Perhaps it is not something that has been "studied" , however more a case of having been observed.

I take it lamactil/lamotrigine would not be the best medication for a 10 yr old girl who may need open heart surgery in the next year then?? She has two very leaky heart valves that need replacing, and there is a caution on this for 'cardiac impairment', What should I say/do if the pediatrician wants her on lamactil? Please don't say she will take this into consideration, the pediatrician ISN'T a neurologist, we don't have a local pediatric neurologist, we will have to go to great Ormond street (an hour and a half's train journey, not to mention the 40 min bus at my end and the 2 tubes at the other end!), and it is a 6 month or so waiting list for her first appointment! Bit worried now, as Jade's meds will be started on 8th September. What are they likely to suggest as an AED for her bearing in mind her heart problem AND the fact that she cannot/ will not swallow a tablet?

Just going back to the taste of Lamictal - in the UK they come in blackcurrant flavour, do they anywhere else, or is it a UK only thing??? I remember when I was in the U.S a couple of years ago I lost my meds and had to go to the hospital to get a prescription, the Lamictal I got from the pharmacy tasted really bad, I am assuming these are the ones you all get

What should I say/do if the pediatrician wants her on lamactil?

If it were me... I would get online and search for any written medical results saying that lamictal and open heart surgery are not compatible. Put in a Google search all the possible words that you can think of.

Back
Top Bottom