Lamotrigine/Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Is anyone else taking lamotrigine to control their epilepsy? This may seem really stupid but I am looking for advice on how to take it! I can't stand th taste and its even worse taking it with food or a drink. Anyone else feel the same?

Rebecca took it for a few months until she started having body aches that she was not able to live with, and then signs of the rash, fever and sore throat. It was pulled.
I don't remember there being a bad taste. It was just a pill that she took twice a day. I believe a small one if my memory is correct.

Lamictal works very well for controlling my seizures.

But the taste is the worst thing I have ever tasted. Ever. If it stays on my tongue for more than a fraction of a second it is torture. The only thing I have found that even helps a little to get rid of the taste is peanut butter. Anything else seems to make the taste worse and worse.

I put the pill as far back in my mouth as I can. I do this with one hand and I put the water glass to my mouth with the other. Then I drink and let go of the pill as quickly as I can.

If you find any other way of getting the taste out of your mouth, let me know.

Kerin

Lamictal

I am so glad that someone else thinks the same as I do! It controls my seizures but people in my family don't seem to understand why I dont want to take it! If I ever figure out anything else to take away the taste I'll let you know. I'll ask the same of you. Thanks x

Why not ask your pharmacist if the medication comes in a coated form. Explain the taste problem, there may be a simple solution!

I take it, too. It dissolves almost immediately in my mouth and tastes bitter, but it really works. I suspect that helps it quickly get absorbed in your system as well. I take a good swig with a drink asap. As you may see in other places in this site, some of us cope with many issues with chocolate. I eat a good piece of dark chocolate afterward. It helps!

I used to take Lamictal for my seizures, but switched. I did 2 things.

First, I took a huge gulp of water each time, and dropped the pill in the water so I wouldn't let the pill touch my tongue because it tasted sooooo darn awful!!!

Second, I ALWAYS ate a Reese's cup afterwards.....I HAD to have the chocolate, AND the peanut butter taste afterwards, just in case I got the pill on my tongue.....:bigsmile::bigsmile::clap::clap:

I also take lamictal, I have also had problems with it leaving that awful taste in my mouth if it touches my tongue, I always have eat to a little something before I can take my midday and bedtime meds to prevent nausea which Lamitical are part of.

And there have been many times that it has touched my tongue and then also that very awful taste, which I can not get rid of. Now I know a couple things that I like that I will have in stock for the next time this happens

Thank You
Tammy

Last edited:
Lamictal

Go to lamictal web site and get coupons for $10.00 off on next 6 refills. GO MOUNTAINEERS

I have taken Lamictal for a few years now and have no problem, but I can see what you mean because they dont have a smooth coating like other tablets. Luv Lynn x

Yep. They taste like dirt. I was on these 25mg chewable pills until they upped my dose and those actually tasted pretty good. I miss those. :(

Last edited:
ewwww I can't imagine chewable Lamictal.. But if they can make those taste ok, why not the non chewables? I take 500mg daily - two 200mg and one 100mg because I refused to break any in half. The trouble isn't so much the taste as the inability to get the taste out of your mouth afterwards.

I'm on lamictal..but only recently. I have not had any problem with the taste...yet. Maybe because I am still on the smaller pills. I throw it back with lots of water.

Michelle : )

ewwww I can't imagine chewable Lamictal.. But if they can make those taste ok, why not the non chewables? I take 500mg daily - two 200mg and one 100mg because I refused to break any in half. The trouble isn't so much the taste as the inability to get the taste out of your mouth afterwards.

I don't know. I reckon the chewables were for younger kids or something. You could also crush them and put them in food or dissolve them in orange juice. But with my new Lamictal pills, it says not to crush or chew the tablets...:ponder:

Last edited:
Mine say not to break or crush too. I told my doctor that and he said that is a lot of "phooey". He said they crush it and put it in the food of peope who can't swallow pills.

I finally found it on line (Lamictal site I think) where it says not to break it because the taste is bad.

I can't imagine eating food with it in it. You really cannot get the taste out of your mouth no matter what you eat. (but like I said, peanut butter helps-and Reeses PB cups sound like a really good idea)

lamictal

Lamictal, the doctor just added another 100mg. That makes 600 mg and 3000 mg of Keppra. Does anyone take that much lamictal. I did not think you were suppose to take that much. I was disappointed in my visit to the doctor. I drove 3 hours, i had to see the nurse practitioner, told everything that i was going through and all she said was take another pill. Thanks for listening to me complain, Dave

When I titrated to 500mg Lamictal I seem to remember my neuro saying that was as high as he would go. He said I am on the "big guns". But that is me and my dr. I assume it is different for different people.

You might want to research the official Lamictal site and find that long thing they write for doctors and pharmacists. It would probably list the recommended amount. I've done that before, but my memory is terrible and I get mixed up easily so I am not sure what it said.

lamictal??

I have a question for ya'll...when you increased your dosing..did you notice any changes..headaches funny-headed, racing heart or anything? Last night I felt awful after I went to the increase in dosing. My heart was racing and I felt terrible..very restless. My head hurts this a.m. I am trying to discern if last night it was anxiety over increasing my dosage(which for me is totally possible because I really hate taking meds) or if is from the increase. I don't have a rash thank goodness. I just feel kind of crappy! Why can't it just be easy,Huh? I am trying to be open-minded because I know some people have opinions on meds and bad experiences..and there are side effects to every med.and it doesn't mean I will get them. Maybe I just need to balance out.

Thanks,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom