Last Day

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Today is my last day of school. I am a computer teacher so I never turn on the computer during summer vacation.

My 8 year old will have an EEG on July 11 and then the dr. will begin the weaning processes. I have prepared myself for the worse summer of all time. No camp this year, never out of my sigth summer.

As excited as I am and would love to him to continue life without meds and S.Z. I am not sure my luck or karma will allow it. It has been so long since his last one, 1 in 4 and a half years, and that one was off meds.

I also believe I will fear another S.Z. his entire life. I am not sleeping at night because of this, I stress about it always.

I don't know...

I have friends who immediately worry that I've had a seizure if I don't pick up the phone when they call -- and I have been seizure-free for 4 years! I think that protective instinct must be near-impossible to turn off.

It's normal to worry over your son's health and future well-being, but not if the anxiety begins to mess with your own health and future. Don't forget about taking care of yourself. Talk to friends/family/therapists/CWE -- whatever works.

And best of luck to you AND your son. I hope the summer is relaxing and seizure-free.

I wish you luck, but I know how scary it is. We took my boy off of drugs this time last year, right when school ended, unfortunately we did not have a great outcome, but I have not lost hope. I really hope it works out for you and your family, keep him close, we also did that last summer, nonetheless it was a terrible time. However this year, even though we are on lots of meds, he is doing great and we are looking forward to camp and fun in the sun, swimming, all albeit with a one on one! All I can say is that I pray you have a desired outcome but in the event you do not, don't give up hope. Eight is young and from what I understand those that outgrow this don't often do so until after puberty. We hate the meds but love the fact that our son has a normal life.

update?

I know you said you don't turn on the computer during the summer, but I figure that if the July 11 EEG was good, your son should be about a month into his wean. Hoping that we will get an update -- a good update -- know just how scary it can be.

Back
Top Bottom