[LGIT, MA, GARD] Pesto Pasta (Primavera)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Package of Brown Rice Pasta
Cook according to package
Package of Basiltops Dairy Free Pesto
(ingredients: Fresh basil, olive oil, pine nuts, fresh garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, and fresh pepper)
Add to cooked pasta
Toast some pine nuts and sprinkle over pasta

Option: I also grill/cook up some chicken and slice it up into or on top of the pasta

Enjoy!

For the LGIT & MA diets, use some substitutions as mentioned below

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup - it is very tasty and quite an easy dinner
I hadn't been to their site before today, and am loving all of the other recipes listed.
The kids love this dish.

I'm pretty sure that a good health food store will have low glycemic pasta options suitable for the LGIT. I'm also sure there are low carb pastas made for the Atkins diet too. This recipe should be adaptable for either of those diets.

You could also turn this into a Pasta Primavera by adding some stir fried "summer" veggies too like yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper, etc.

I edited the thread title to reflect that. :)

Great ideas, Bernard.
I just love how it can be increased for a large group. How everyone likes it, and Rebecca doesn't have to feel like she is eating a Hippie Diet as her chums at school call it.

My Sugar Busters books came this afternoon. I ordered the cookbook too.

No quote thread so I thought I would put this here...

One finds great comfort in good dinners.

-Zora Neale Hurston

I forgot to mention another possible substitution for the pasta: Spaghetti Squash. It has a low glycemic index (less than 20) and not too many total carbs, so it should fit both the LGIT and MA diets.

For those who have not tried it before, the squash can be raked out of the shell with a fork and it comes out in strands just like spaghetti noodles. They have a very mild flavor, so just about any sauce you use will stay true. They do, however, have a slighly different consistency from pasta/noodles, so dishes with the squash will not be quite the same as with real noodles.

Hi guys. Just wanted to mention that brown rice pasta is very high GI at 92.

This would surely trigger a sz in my daughter.

Package of Brown Rice Pasta
Cook according to package
Package of Basiltops Dairy Free Pesto
(ingredients: Fresh basil, olive oil, pine nuts, fresh garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, and fresh pepper)
Add to cooked pasta
Toast some pine nuts and sprinkle over pasta

Option: I also grill/cook up some chicken and slice it up into or on top of the pasta

Enjoy!

Hi Jen, that's why we discussed other options (see other posts in this thread). Robin's original recipe was for the GARD diet only. :)

Back
Top Bottom