[LGIT, MA] Lentil soup

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
I love lentil soup. I make several variations of this recipe from time to time. It is hearty enough to eat all by itself or with a salad and a slice of your favorite bread.

Tumeric is an excellent antioxidant and this soup is great for anyone with a cold.

Ingredients
  • 1-2 medium carrots (chopped)
  • 1-2 stalks of celery (chopped)
  • 1/2 large or 1 medium onion (I prefer 1015s or yellow onions)
  • 4-5 cloves garlic (use less if you are not a fan of the stinking rose)
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • Braggs liquid aminos
  • water
  • 1 lb bag dry brown lentils
  • Tumeric - I never measure how much I use, but this seasoning is a must
  • Other herbs - use your favorites. I typically use some oregano and thyme
Preparation
  1. Wash lentils and sift through them to remove any rocks (I usually find 1 every other bag or so)
  2. Coat very large pot with generous amount of olive oil and add chopped garlic, onion, celery and carrots with medium-high heat
  3. Stir fry until the onion starts reducing (or becoming translucent)
  4. Add about a gallon of water, cover and raise to high heat to bring to a boil
  5. Add lentils and cover
  6. Stir occasionally until water is boiling again (it will stop boiling when you add the lentils).
  7. Reduce heat to low (for simmering), add Braggs liquid aminos and stir in any desired seasonings/herbs to taste
  8. Cover and let simmer for 45 minutes - hour

This recipe makes a *lot* of soup. You can freeze leftovers for another time.

Some of the variations I make include adding chopped parsley and/or fresh ginger to the initial carrot/oinion/celery base and/or adding mustard or lemon juice with the seasonings near the end.

This dish might be appropriate for the ketogenic diet, but I'm not sure.

The lentils do contain some carbs, but they are low on the glycemic index.

Back
Top Bottom