" like "

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Like, you know, he goes You know? and then she goes yeah, and then like whoa! You know what I mean?

Plasticmask

I don't have a "deaf accent"? Hm, hadn't noticed.
Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else remember "Designing Women", the television show from the late '70s? I stole a joke from the show that Jean Smart told, can NOT resist telling it whenever the topic of Proper English comes up...

A sweet Southern Belle was hosting a tea party for a Yankee (sorry, everyone above the Mason-Dixie) and her Family. Trying to begin a chat with one of the ladies, the Belle asked her "So. Where y'all from?" The Yankee responded snobbishly, "We come from a place where we don't end our sentences with prepositions." The Belle didn't blink an eye as she said to her, "Oh. Well, in that case... where y'all from, bitch?" LOL

Anyway, I agree with EVERYTHING I read in this thread. The version of the King's English that WE were taught has... let's just say, devolved considerably and in such a short time, it's positively alarming. If we went back in time, say just 220 years, I was taught that we'd not be able to understand hardly a darned thing that people were saying, and IN OUR OWN COUNTRIES.
It's interesting and kind of mournful at the same time, were my opinion asked.

Plasticmask

Supporter
Reaction score
Minor correction: My wife and I were discussing Designing Women and so I looked it up to see about a Cast member. That show ran from the 80's into the NINETIES! I was LONG into College by then, but my memory tells me that I was in High School. Bizarre and back-stabbing brain! Hate! Hate! Hate!
Anyway just wanted to clear that up. And again, I apologize to all of you good-looking Northern people, especially those who were offended.

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
I've heard a variation on that joke: A visitor to Harvard stops a student and asks: "Where's the Harvard law school at?" The student replies, "Here at Harvard we don't end sentences with prepositions." The visitor responds "Got it -- Where's the law school at, asshole?"

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
After reading this thread has anyone noticed how often "like" gets used? I say it every so often and after I do, I realize it..lol

C0urt

Veteran
Reaction score
listening to him talk is always interesting, because several comedians they have flawless english, but you have to be when you are on stage, but some of the personalities, it can be depressing

Plasticmask

Supporter
Reaction score
For US, it was "man".
"Hey man, how you doing?" "Aw hey man, my old lady left me and took the dog, man." "Oh, man!!! That's just not right, man!" "I know, man!" "Man. Can't replace that dog, either, man, that is a good dog, man." On and on.