List of bad foods

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi All! :hello:

I'm having trouble finding the list of foods that are best to stay away from, for people with E. I know there is a list on here somewhere, but I'm having a hard time locating it. Will someone please point me in the right direction?

Also, if you take Zinc, how do you take it? I tried taking a pill with my breakfast each morning, but it made me vomit every time. :ponder:

I haven't heard of any foods to stay away from, just alcoholic beverages. :e:

Someone told me to take a supplement that is a combo of magnesium, calcium, and zinc. Wish Robin would help us on this.

How much is the right helpful amt.

Am calling a health food store that delivers for free for the cost of magnesium: the owner knows me and said he has ionic mineral supplement $30 on the shelf but I can have it for $20; he also said a powdered magnesium that you mix with water $20 on shelf and I can have it for $12.

Ever heard of a powdered magnesium?? How much to use?? (oh ROBIN!! BERNARD!! BRAIN!!!????)

But even those low amts are too expensive for me.

We do the best we can.

My monthly allowance pays for the phone and internet and longdistance.
Carey's pays for the cat food, cat litter, soap, tp, etc. - household needs.

Living here we get a room, electricity, water, medical care as needed, 3 meals/day and snack at night (only 1 type of diet though - no special needs diets), laundry, housekeeping, maintenance, etc. Although, Carey (8 yrs Navy) does the laundry and housekeeping because he says he wants it done RIGHT - I'm not able to. He also helps around the facility as needed. He has his own health probs but debilitating as to regular employment but not short term tasks. He has to nap once or twice a day. I should, but get busy on the PC and forget.

Anyway, we are blessed. Not DISABLED just no able to do things we used to or would like to do. Stupid bodies!! Spirit is willing but body can't.

:twocents:I'm done :twocents:, NEXT: :banana:

I axed Alcohol as soon as I was diagnosed with E. I was never a big drinker anyway.

Thanks for the advice! :tup:

I am not sure why you would take those supplements because it seems there are so many different causes of epilepsy. Also, so many different AED's. My E has to do with scar tissue on part of my brain, so those supplements would not help me.

Zinc is supposed to be good for your immune system. I also started taking Ginko Biloba, because it's supposed to help with memory loss.

I also heard that fish oil is good for memory too...I had read that eating tuna is as good as taking the fish oil pills, so I just make sure I eat it a couple times a week

Hi--

If you go to Dr. J's website you will be able to find foods to stay away from. In general the recommended ones are: gluten, soy, caesin, asparateme (any excitotoxins). Eating tuna would not be the same as taking fish oil as tuna contains mercury which could cause issues.

Basically, fruits and veggies with meats. I believe fruity said it best when she suggested shopping around the outside of the supermarket (except dairy) as opposed to the aisles. I'm a raw vegan so I only eat fruits and veggies---it does work and the extra vitamins and minerals help no matter what your seizure type is.---LMT

I'm pretty new here. Who is Dr. J?

Thanks for the list! :)

I've been shopping on the outside walls of the grocery, as someone mentioned that to me on a separate thread.

I've given up red meat & pork, but I still eat fish & chicken. I would like to become vegetarian, but I'm a picky eater. It's going to take some time to become a vegetarian. I don't really like fake meet, which I guess is mostly made out of soy anyway. Any recommendations to make the transition easier?

Start Very Slow....

I say this only because you become extremely "regular" when you switch to fruits and veggies (2-3 BMs a day). The high content of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids send the body into overdrive. The first few days can be difficult (detox), but after that it's a great feeling. I've never felt better in my life!
It has also been shown that some people seem to do VERY well with a raw food diet and seizure control. I'm doing both raw and vitamin therapy and have been stable.
Type Dr. J+GARD diet into your search engine. There is his website and all of the information you'll need. Great sites for changing to raw are: Alissa Cohen, Raw Food Live, and Raw Living Food Success.
We do have a thread going about raw and epilepsy...they're on the coping main page.---LMT

I generally eat well anyway.(Except for the occasional Dr. Pepper...It's my weakness.) I eat a few small meals/snacks (fruit/cheese) multiple times a day, and a larger meal for dinner. We cook most of our meals from scratch right now, but I would like to cook all of our meals from scratch. Living Fruity (not sure of her name) gave me a link to her blog about raw food and how it has helped her son. I would LOVE to get off meds and control my seizures by diet/vitamins.

Thanks for the websites & tips! I'll check them out now! :)

Hi All! :hello:

I'm having trouble finding the list of foods that are best to stay away from, for people with E. I know there is a list on here somewhere, but I'm having a hard time locating it. Will someone please point me in the right direction?

Also, if you take Zinc, how do you take it? I tried taking a pill with my breakfast each morning, but it made me vomit every time. :ponder:

I'll start putting together a list. Keep in mind that any food might trigger a seizure if you are sensitive to it.
Some that can lower the threshold for most people are:
caffeine
alcohol
gluten in those who are gluten sensitive

That's just for starters. We are each unique and seizure triggers are not the same for everyone. A good strategy is to keep a journal and track what you had eaten about the time, you had your seizure; had you been drinking coffee, tea, alcohol? What had you eaten at your last meal? If you keep the journal, over time you may see a pattern, like you have seizures after eating a particular food at dinner or some other meal, for example. When you find a food you think might be triggering your seizures, you may want to consider getting tested for sensitivity or eating something else instead of that food to see if it affects your seizures. You may also want to see your doc about getting evaluated for sensitivity to that food.

Am calling a health food store that delivers for free for the cost of magnesium: the owner knows me and said he has ionic mineral supplement $30 on the shelf but I can have it for $20; he also said a powdered magnesium that you mix with water $20 on shelf and I can have it for $12.

Ever heard of a powdered magnesium?? How much to use?? (oh ROBIN!! BERNARD!! BRAIN!!!????)

But even those low amts are too expensive for me.

:twocents:I'm done :twocents:, NEXT: :banana:

I have had used only two types of magnesium. The ionic variety works well for my migraines. My daughter uses chelated magensium in a pill form.

As for how much.... what I practice with any new supplement is only introduce one at a time, and start with the RDA. Magnesium has an upper limit of about 800mg, however my daughter who is 17 and 120 lbs takes about 1000mg a day (500 AM 500 PM). Magnesium helps with constipation.
You will know if you are taking too much, or if the variety does not sit well with your system.

There are a few threads here on the subject, and I would suggest researching any supplement to see if it is right for you.

Thanks Zoe! :)

I don't currently keep a journal. My boyfriend mentioned that I should. I'll definitely start! It just seems to make sense, to track my triggers, etc.:tup:

I have quit (except what the facility cooks - gotta eat something) red meats for snack - only chicken and raw veggies (spinach leaves, carrots, celery). I try to drink 1-2 small cups of milk a day. As much cooked veggies as I can get. We eat our 3 meals in the facility dining room and then about 8 p.m. have a snack of like a small meal. My diabetes is MUCH better. My blood sugar before supper was only 76 and a month ago it was over 600. My blood pressure is slightly up - I take lasix.

Gluten - that's in white bread right?

Oh, as far as starches, I only eat 1/2 - like for lunch we had a big plate of macaroni and cheese - ate 1/2. If they have salads, I eat all of it and Carey gives me his. (almost NO salad dressing on it) I drink cold tea sweetened w/ sweet n low - about 1/2 gallon a day - plus, a small amt of plain water. If dessert is pudding or cake - I pass it up - if fruit, I eat the fruit but leave the juice or syrup. We don't get large serving of meat so I eat all of it. Sometimes if we get a sandwich, I eat 1/2 or only the innards and not the bread.

All I know is seizures have been none for a while - a month.

And, I need to get proper rest, preferably w/ a day-time nap - but, I don't follow that very much.

When sleep hits me - I've learned not to fight it but lay down.

If my cat gives an alarm, I go to the bathroom and then to bed because a seizure may come - sometimes if I sleep during the aura, the seizure does not come.

Had back of the thigh charley horse today - something new?? I figure it was a lack of salt or potassium or magnesium - but now way available to get those.

We do the best we can w/what we have at the time and to the best that we know at the time.

Thanks, Gail

It's easier for me to remember what to buy, than what not to buy. I shop for fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and greens. Occasionally, I'll purchase a frozen fruit or veggie, but I make sure to check for preservatives or additives. I will not purchase anything that has something foreign or man-made on the label.

Read your labels when you shop. If some of the ingredients sound like part of a science experiment, then they are. The bad part is we are the guinea pigs. When my son was diagnosed with epilepsy, I determined that my family would no longer be lab rats.

Shopping the outer courts of the supermarket is excellent advice (skipping the dairy section). Avoiding supermarket meat would be a health benefit as well. All the dyes, hormones, steroids, and antibiotics in the meat can't be good for us. If you can't be vegetarian, at least try to find an organic source of meat.

Little bit of everything here ...

One thing to know, is having a consultation
with your Primary Care Physician - having a
lab-work up (blood work) and finding out
where you are short in. This will take several
lab-work ups before one can determine where
your short comings are in your chemistry and
hematology levels. Every one of us are differing.

One person may have low Calcium levels, another
might have low Iron levels, and another may just
be absolutely fine in all areas.

Your wisest move would be talking with your
Doctor first before hogging up all the vitamins
and minerals and supplements (which may do
more harm than good). There is such thing as
"too much of a good thing" that can actually
do more damage and harm.

I also want to add on to what Zoe has implied
in reference to foods ... Keep in mind, some foods
takes anywhere from 6 to 24 hours or in some
cases, depending on one's metabolism - if it is
slower, can take up to 36 hours! It is your
metabolism that also plays a role here, of
how fast you can burn up the energy source.

Zoe had commented in reference to those
that can lower seizure thresholds, I must
also add:

MSG <--- even the most healthiest person can
be allergic or have reactions to it in some shape
or form.

CANOLA OIL <-- you might as well buy engine
oil and drink that <sarcastic>

TOMATOES :eek: What? You have to be
joking here! See if this has any impact upon you,
even I had to cut back on this big time myself
after both a Neurologist in the past and the
Epileptologist not too long ago - both had remarked
it - I love tomatoes but I had to cut way back on it.

PEPPERS - it can be a seizure provocation itself.
(Not for me it isn't) The Peppers I am speaking of
ranges from Bell Peppers to the hottest Peppers
that a "nutcase" would love (and that would be me
of course - LOL)! Chili-heads!

SALT - has a 50/50 coin toss (some is due to
medication itself, the craving for it) - but people
have to be careful with this. If you are a salt lover,
and eating a lot of salty snacks and uses a lot of
salt - try to cut back and see if it reduces your
seizures. Even if it does not, at least it will do
you good health wise anyway.

AGED PRODUCTS - this includes Meat & Cheese;
which can trigger both seizures and migraines.
Make note of this as well. Yellow cheese tends
to be more provoking than White. Aged Sausage
(hard) tends to be higher than aged meat as a
whole - such as prosciutto for example, which is
aged meat.

The only way to know is via trial and error and
keeping a diary / ledger / notes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another note here which is a double dilemma
is Seafood. You are better OFF using farm raised
seafood than "wild" caught seafood these days
due to the fact of pollution in waters / ocean.
As for the reference between "oily" fish and
"other variety" fish, is still a debate. It's true
one is higher than the other in regards to the
Omega but just how much should one consume
is the main factor here. As implied, there is such
thing as "too much of a good thing".

Let all things be done in moderation.

```````````````````
If you can and it is possible, learn to grow your
own garden, start small. Even if you live in an
apartment, you can have a herb garden, a potted
plants - but instead of plants, it's a garden and
grow your own food there instead.

You'll be surprised how Basil, Chives, Oregano,
etc - will appear in one nice sized potted container
whether round or boxed or rectangular - and how
aromatic it smells ... and clipping it fresh, Parsley,
Basil, Oregano - for seasonings - will save you a
bundle from having to buy spices at the store! And
not only that, they look pretty!

Living Fruity....
You advice to shop the outside of the market is a good easy one to remember. But I am curious why no dairy? I have bad oestroposis and cannot take any of the meds due to problems I had when I tried them. So for now, I am trying to add a lot of dairy to my diet. Boy, it hard when I have to make a decision...eat for my oestro or eat for my seizures!

Gluten - that's in white bread right?
It is in wheat, rye and barley products. Your macaroni would have had wheat in it. It would also be a good hunch that your lunch unless made from scratch would have been high in MSG.

Oh, as far as starches, I only eat 1/2 - like for lunch we had a big plate of macaroni and cheese - ate 1/2.
Most of the package processed cheese ingredients have MSG.

If they have salads, I eat all of it and Carey gives me his. (almost NO salad dressing on it)
Watch out for the salad dressing too. If you look on the ingredients it will say monosodium glutamate. I know you are limited by what you are given by your kitchen. You might be able to ask for some oil and vinegar or lemon as a dressing.

I drink cold tea sweetened w/ sweet n low - about 1/2 gallon a day - plus, a small amt of plain water. [
Sweet n Low is an excitotoxin. Not good for brain health

f dessert is pudding or cake - I pass it up - if fruit, I eat the fruit but leave the juice or syrup.
Excellent ... even better would be to ask for a fresh piece of fruit,

We don't get large serving of meat so I eat all of it. Sometimes if we get a sandwich, I eat 1/2 or only the innards and not the bread.
Good for you!

All I know is seizures have been none for a while - a month.
:clap:

And, I need to get proper rest, preferably w/ a day-time nap - but, I don't follow that very much.

When sleep hits me - I've learned not to fight it but lay down.
The exercise will also help with this

If my cat gives an alarm, I go to the bathroom and then to bed because a seizure may come - sometimes if I sleep during the aura, the seizure does not come.
Don't you just love those kitty wake up calls :ponder:

Had back of the thigh charley horse today - something new?? I figure it was a lack of salt or potassium or magnesium - but now way available to get those.
Ask the kitchen to get you some fresh, raw, unsalted tree nuts. They are high in magnesium. Just only eat a few at a time....not the whole bowl.

We do the best we can w/what we have at the time and to the best that we know at the time.
Isn't that the truth

Taking an active role in our health is important though for a good quality of life.

Living Fruity....
You advice to shop the outside of the market is a good easy one to remember. But I am curious why no dairy? I have bad oestroposis and cannot take any of the meds due to problems I had when I tried them. So for now, I am trying to add a lot of dairy to my diet. Boy, it hard when I have to make a decision...eat for my oestro or eat for my seizures!

what I have learned is that there are far better ways to get the calcium that you need for your bones.
The visual that I use is that Borden dairy also use to be Borden glue products. They have since split the company and it is now Elmers glue. Casein which is the protein in the diary products is an adhesive. It coats the inside of your intestinal wall. The little fingers called villi are no longer able to absorb the nutrients needed by the body. Over time it atrophy's and dies. Of course not all at once, but over time your intestinal tract will not be functioning well.

In fact it can create leaks which they call leaky gut. Your food and waste leaks back into your blood. The body alerts your immune system and it goes into overdrive. You can have symptoms that don't seem to be related but they can be related to your food choices.

That is a very brief reason many suggest to stop consuming dairy.
Goat milk/cheese/yogurt has far less casein than cow.

Back
Top Bottom