looking for some advice

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
New to the site, not of epilepsy. any advice you can give me about going off meds? any warning signs, things i should do to keep my self more likely to not re-lapse. Currently i'm weaning off of my lamictal down to 75 mg and 75mg am and pm.

When we did it, we went slower and smaller doses than any doctor recommended.
If it was me I would keep blood sugar levels balanced, and the best of the best nutritionally. I would get plenty of rest, and find ways to keep stress at the minimum.

Are you going off of it because it has not been helpful?
Are you adding any other alternative therapies to raise your seizure threshold?

Mmmm

Make sure that you're doing it under a doctor's supervision.

Make sure that you're eating a very healthy diet.

Limit your stress, and get PLENTY of rest. Exercise, take care of yourself.

Those are probably the best hints that I can give.

Oh, and start a journal, so that you can get out any stressful feelings that you need to.....and you don't keep that stress in. Do it on the computer if you have to, but writing it out by hand is much better....

I was controlled while taking the medication. It was just something i've wanted to do for a long time now, but couldn't really find a good time to do it. I haven't really tried to do anything except get enough sleep. My doctor really didn't give me any advice on other things besides that. Although i am open to pursuing them ex: diet, vitamins,...that's why i'm on here reserching different things i should be doing.

Good for you. I see more success in those that are proactive.

Just be careful...

I had my first seizure in 2001. I went through a bunch of meds before I found one where I didn't feel like a total duh, and even that left me VERY tired all the time. But, I was scared and took it cuz I had to. My doctor at the time couldn't explain why I had a seizure. She said some people will have a seizure for no "explainable" reason. She said they stay on the meds cuz it makes them feel more secure, but she also said that some will wean off of them after a time and never have problems again. I figured after seven years being seizure free, maybe I would be OK, so I weaned myself off Tegretol. I did it slowly, over about a three month period, and had no problems. However, this past November, after being off the meds completely for about 3 or 4 months, I did have another. I am back to the meds.

I don't have any experience or knowledge about diets or anything else, but my advice to you is to be very careful. My life has gotten pretty screwed up because of the last seizure.. my job especially. Soooo, just make sure you know where you're going, and the possible outcomes before you make that big decision.

Good Luck, in whatever you decide!

CJ

Back
Top Bottom