[MAD] Low Carb Flax Seed Muffins

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
6 T butter - melted
3 large eggs
¼ cup whipping cream (or half and half)
Beat these 3 ingredients together, and then add:
½ cup Splenda (artificial sweetener)
1 T maple flavoring
1 T vanilla
Mix the following together and add to the above:
2 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
½ rounded t baking powder
½ rounded t baking soda
1 cup ground flaxseeds
¼ cup soy flour or Atkin's Bake Mix
4 oz black walnuts, chopped (optional)
Put into 12 paper cupcake liners in a muffin tin and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. You can also double the recipe and get 18-20 larger size muffins.
These have been recommended as "very good with lots of fiber". About 4 carb per muffin but over 3 is in the form of fiber. Other flavorings have been tried - banana, pineapple or unsweetened coconut also taste great. These muffins freeze well, too.

These can also be made in the microwave. In a 1000 watt microwave, 12 muffins take about 2 minutes and 10 seconds.

http://www.dakotaflax.com/recipes/lowcarb.html

They sound good but I don't bake often so I want to double check, does T=tbsp. (tablespoon) & t=tsp. (teaspoon)?

Eric, you've got it right (T = tablespoon, t= teaspoon)

I'd just like to point out that it's important to use ground flax seed as called for in the recipe and not whole flax seed. Flax seed needs to be ground in order for the body to digest it properly.

Back
Top Bottom