Low Sodium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I saw there was a similar thread recently, but this isn't exactly the same.

What is good to take/drink for low sodium, something with a good mix of electrolytes and no aspartame?

I learned after many years (decades) that Tegretol is known to lower "sodium" levels - which explains why I feel wretched during the summer. you'd think someone might have mentioned it. My doctor noticed one time that my "sodium" was dangerously low. I started drinking some diluted Gatorade everyday and it helped a lot.

I realized that low sodium makes me feel a certain kind of miserable and tired. It can also make you thirsty because your body tries to eliminate water. You start peeing clear all the time, but you can't get enough to drink. You're thirsty no matter how much you drink. This is because when your sodium is low, the water dilutes it in your body, so in order to make your body more "salty" it tries to get rid of water. Drinking more in effect lowers your sodium. Of course you can't stop drinking so you have to restore sodium levels.

I have been drinking some sports drink, but it's not working. I noticed it only has one kind of mineral in it.
Coconut water helps some. I couldn't get powdered Gatorade. I started taking some vitamins and calcium.

I'm on generic Tegretol now, so it's not the same as before. I'm also getting muscle cramps, another sign of low sodium.

Bunches of the meds cause low sodium. A few to point you have to avoid high sodium causing a seizure. If I want Chinese for dinner that means no salt all day. Please be careful

All the years I was on carbamazepine it would cause me to retain water, and therefore result in low sodium readings (at least for me). How someone feels after drinking a big 20-oz. beverage is how I felt 24/7 while on that drug, even if I had nothing to drink! After I tapered off carbamazepine (about ten years ago), not only did the excessive water retention stop, but I also was almost always thirsty, and during the summer months often would feel dehydrated. I suspect my body that year was just not used to NOT having all the excessive water in me. The good thing was I had much more energy after getting off that drug. As for how to deal with the water retention side effect, I don’t think I ever found a solution other than reducing or discontinuing the drug. Good luck.

I got some fresh vitamins, a different sports drink, and some powdered Gatorade. Feeling much better.

Back
Top Bottom