Lowered seizure threshold w/ antibiotics

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I had to go to the walk in clinic for something, lets just say a little embarrassing, and the doctor had prescribed me an antibiotic for said diagnosis (Zithromax). He's aware of my seizures, but made it abundantly clear that this antibiotic does decrease seizure threshold a bit.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there any way to "offset" this threshold? I'm assuming there isn't but I just wanted to make sure.

I don't think there's any definitive way to counterbalance the potential effect of the Zithromax, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to be extra extra careful to avoid any of the common triggers. Get plenty of sleep, take as many "stress breaks" as you can, eat healthily and stay hydrated, avoid caffeine and high carbs, etc. And think positive! Don't dwell on the negative, focus on the positive: An infection can also lower your seizure threshold, so treating it promptly is the right thing to do -- for many reasons. :)

Well.... Good news is, I don't need to take the antibiotic. Bad news is that I'll need a non intrusive surgery. In the grand scheme of things, I'd take the surgery over possible increase of seizures.

Back
Top Bottom