Magnesium - Cure for Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Lately I have been experimenting with reducing my dosage of dilantin and substituting with increased magnesium. I started doing this after noticing a dramatic decrease in seizures one day when I took magnesium. It's too early to say yet, but I do notice my brain feels more comfortable despite decrease of dilantin. My ultimate goal next week is to substitute 3 dilantins a day with 3 500 mg mags a day.

I've been hearing a lot about success of this treatment and it used to be the PRIMARY TREATMENT in the nineteenth century for persons with epilepsy, usually using Epsom Salts.

I am speculating that perhaps my own condition is a result of magnesium depletion due to some inherited inability to maintain proper amounts in bloodstream. I do know that taking dilantin tegretol valproic acid etc do NOTHING to reduce my own seizures; they come and go at about same rate.

I'd like to attach this article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_1_12/ai_n19170695/pg_8

The thing I found particularly interesting:

"Severe magnesium depletion can cause seizures (74,75) or increase susceptibility to seizure-inducing stimuli. (76) Intravenously infused magnesium exerted an anticonvulsant effect against experimentally-induced epileptic foci in cats and dogs. (77) In humans, parenterally administered magnesium is an effective treatment for the seizures of neonatal tetany (78) and eclampsia and possibly for those associated with ethanol withdrawal and acute intermittent porphyria. (79)

Magnesium concentrations in serum and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) were significantly lower in 40 patients with grand mal epilepsy than in controls. (80,81) Serum and CSF magnesium levels fell with increasing duration and frequency of seizures. Oral administration of magnesium has been associated in some cases with an improvement in EEG findings and a reduction in seizure frequency. (82)"

I would be interested to know if others have had similar improvements with use of magnesium. I also understand B6, zinc, salt, and Vit E are important.

Hi,

I have been using vitamin B6 for over 37 years to control my main seizures. AEDs have never had any positive effects on my seizures. My seizure medication now consists of all eight B vitamins. I also use Magnesium.

Do not alter any medication without your doctor's consent.

Andrew

I've been taking about 1000 mg Magnesium this last month. So far, no seizures. This is after having approximately one seizure every two weeks for at least 6 months. So, I guess I'm doing better. I also take 3000 mg Omega3 and Omega 6 complex (supposed to raise the seizure threshold), as well as about 800-1000 mg. Niacin (vasodialator....helps medicine and oxygen get to where it needs to go....). Oh, and B-12....but that's primarily for my ears. All this on top of a multivitamin like Centrum. (Should add, that's per day for all the pills....)

:bjump::banana::bjump::banana::bjump:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

loooooove hearing this!

I have been using Magnesium, Omega 3 Fatty Acids (both Flax Seed and Fish Oil), B Complex, Vit E, Vit C, and a Multi-Mineral supplement. I haven't been able to tell yet, but I am not taking any chances as I have noticed I am most susceptible during hot weather so I will be using every nutrient possible to prevent any more seizures.

So what's the maximum amout of Magnesium you can per day ?

At the moment I'm taking 2 x 250mg tablets around 7ish on the night, but would be interesting to hear what you guys are taking, and times etc.

Hi Tee! :) I take 500 mg. Magnesium in the morning (about 6 AM...as that's when I ususally wake up), and 500 mg. Magnesium around 6PM.

Hi Tee! :) I take 500 mg. Magnesium in the morning (about 6 AM...as that's when I ususally wake up), and 500 mg. Magnesium around 6PM.

Thanks skillefer. Looks like I'll start upping the dosage as I'm going through a real horrible patch of sz's at the moment

So what's the maximum amout of Magnesium you can per day ?

At the moment I'm taking 2 x 250mg tablets around 7ish on the night, but would be interesting to hear what you guys are taking, and times etc.

Rebecca takes 500 mg A.M. and 500 mg P.M.
She is about 115 lbs.
You will know if you are taking too much. It causes a loose stool if you get to that point, so you back off a bit.

I am considering as Rebecca's intestines begin to function better, of changing her morning dose to ionic magnesium. This goes directly to the cell, rather than to the digestive tract.

In my own experiment, I am currently taking 3 500 mg. doses, 2 before bedtime, and 1 upon awakening. I have gone completely off medication which was three 100mg Dilantins a day (tapered off 1 pill per week). So far, no problems with withdrawal - which definitely convinces me Magnesium is active ingrediant which is controlling seizures.

Only comment I would make is it induces more BM's (which is good for me, since I am usually constipated) and sometimes I smell brine on my breath - and get "chiily" sweats.

Another thing is to take pinches of sea salt in hot weather doing outdoor activities. (Of note here, magnesium is third most common ingrediant in sea salt.) Salt provides electrolytes with which neurons fire properly.

This is making me wonder if I've actually had some problem with absorbing electrolytes which has caused seizures in me. (I walk, hike, bike alot, hot weather does not agree with me). Maybe I was misdiagnosed as "epileptic"?

I'll have to wait awhile to be sure this is working.

Biotin helps the intestinal tract as well, and it needs Magnesium for proper absorbtion.

John - The electrolyte theory is one that I am looking at for Rebecca too. She has always been constipated until I upped the magnesium.

a list of triggers pulled from another list:
# Alcohol
# Too much Caffeine
# Strong emotion
# Intense exercise
# Flashing lights or loud music
# Illness or fever
# Lack of sleep
# Too much Heat
# Emotional stress/excitement
# Menstrual period
# Hormonal changes
# Drug use, including some prescription medications
# Missed medication
# Poor nutrition
# Extreme fatigue
# Low blood sugar
# Low sodium level
# Constipation
# Diarrhea
# Too much water in one sitting(washed out meds)
# Migraines

_

Rebecca takes 500 mg A.M. and 500 mg P.M.
She is about 115 lbs.
You will know if you are taking too much. It causes a loose stool if you get to that point, so you back off a bit.

I am considering as Rebecca's intestines begin to function better, of changing her morning dose to ionic magnesium. This goes directly to the cell, rather than to the digestive tract.

Cool. Thanks for the advice about the loose stool, as this will give me a good way of measuring if I'm taking too much, etc.

That list of seizure triggers is very accurate for myself and are good things to watch out for - especially if you are feeling more vulnerable than usual.

What is ionic magnesium? Does it come in pills?

No it is liquid, that way it goes directly into the cell. Placed under the tongue and rolled around a bit. Mine isn't bad tasting, but I have purchased some at whole foods that isn't very nice. It might be able to be disguised in a juice.

I have posted what ionic magnesium is, somewhere here. I will go searching...

The Journal of the American College of Nutrition published an article by Burton B. Silver, Ph.D., in which he makes his point very well concerning the inability of current methodology to measure magnesium levels within the body. Measuring serum magnesium is inaccurate because only 1% of the total body magnesium is found there. According to Dr. Silver, these measurements (serum levels) are of little use because they don't give an accurate status of magnesium levels needed within the body for health benefits. Accurate magnesium levels must be measured in intracellular spaces to attain true levels of magnesium that will then show superior benefits.

Knowing the above information from Dr. Silver is accurate, is another reason we are convinced nano particle ionic magnesium is the best source of magnesium because it is in the form the body uses without biological manipulation before ingestion into cells takes place. Other forms of magnesium not in ionic from must be manipulated into ionic form to go intracellular and into ion channels of cells. Nano particles allow for more particle absorption and increased speed at which these magnesium particles get absorbed.

One concern we should all have when taking life critical minerals, is making sure the proper transit time is observed. If products do not get absorbed they will be excreted.
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/there-cure-epilepsy-882/index2.html

I also was reading that one needs proper levels of Vitamin D for mineral absorption to take place.

It seems like there are a lot of factors that interact in a very tight pattern. I managed to withdraw from Dilantin for a few days, then seizures and rapid heart beat started coming on the past few days. I made an emergency appointment with a nurse at the MD's office, and she told me I shouldn't had stop taking it. I'm a little peeved about it, because it feels like I'm hooked on anti-seizure meds, and the more I take it, the worse my condition becomes. My poor pickled brain feels like a maltreated lab rat. I'm also combining the Dilantin with an antidepressant Celexa (which I've been taking less of) - all of which I combine with various forms of caffeine and powerful vitamin supplements. A crazy interaction!

But, hey, let's keep trying things out! Sooner or later, one of us may discover the Miracle Cure!

Just wanted to reply here - I did get the liquid mag, but that's when my brain started acting up. I'm wondering if my brain over-reacted to it due to being too powerful. It was some stuff called "Mega-Mag".

Last edited:
I would certainly listen to your body.
Did you start with a low dose? I just checked out the product.

I made an emergency appointment with a nurse at the MD's office, and she told me I shouldn't had stop taking it. I'm a little peeved about it, because it feels like I'm hooked on anti-seizure meds, and the more I take it, the worse my condition becomes. My poor pickled brain feels like a maltreated lab rat.
Do you ever think that this is what they want to have happen?

I'll tell you something else odd about Magnesium. Since I upped the dosage to 500mg x 2 per day, my Eczema seems to be really minimal compared to before. :woot:

Back
Top Bottom