Magnesium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
The April 2007 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published the finding of researchers at Harvard University that having a greater intake of magnesium is associated with lower levels of some markers of inflammation and endothelial dysfunction in healthy women. The two conditions often precede atherosclerosis and type 2 diabetes, and are involved in the metabolic syndrome. Magnesium intake has been associated by some studies with a decrease in metabolic syndrome features.

Y. Song of Harvard Medical School and colleagues included 657 participants in the Nurses' Health Study for the current investigation. Blood samples drawn between 1989 and 1990 were analyzed for inflammation markers C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, and soluble tumor necrosis factor alpha receptor 2, and endothelial biomarkers E-selectin, soluble intercellular adhesion molecule 1, and soluble vascular cell adhesion molecule 1. Dietary questionnaires completed by the subjects in 1986 and 1990 were averaged to provide the dietary intake of magnesium and other nutrients.

After adjusted analyses, higher intake levels of magnesium were associated with lower levels of C-reactive protein and E-selectin. The authors write that the direct effect of magnesium on glucose and insulin homeostasis may be responsible for the associations, however they suggest that, alternatively, magnesium may modulate systemic inflammation and endothelial function to influence insulin resistance, explaining that there is increasing evidence implicating the two conditions as its antecedents.

"These observed associations, albeit generally modest, may represent a pathophysiologic mechanism for the pleiotropic effects of magnesium intake on the features of the metabolic syndrome and its associated chronic diseases," the authors conclude.

—D Dye

http://www.lef.org/whatshot/2007_04.html

Endothelial dysfunction is a physiological dysfunction of normal biochemical processes carried out by the endothelium, the cells that line the inner surface of all blood vessels including arteries and veins (as well as the innermost lining of the heart and lymphatics.) Compromise of normal function of endothelial cells is characteristic of endothelial dysfunction. Normal functions of endothelial cells include mediation of coagulation, platelet adhesion, immune function, control of volume and electrolyte content of the intravascular and extravascular spaces. Endothelial dysfunction can result from disease processes, as occurs in septic shock, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia, diabetes as well as from environmental factors, such as from smoking tobacco products.

Endothelial dysfunction is thought to be a key event in the development of atherosclerosis and predates clinically obvious vascular pathology by many years. Endothelial dysfunction has also been shown to be of prognostic significance in predicting vascular events including stroke and heart attacks.

A key feature of endothelial dysfunction is the inability of arteries and arterioles to dilate fully in response to an appropriate stimulis. This can be tested by a variety of methods including iontophoresis of acetylcholine, intra-arterial administration of various vasoactive agents, localised heating of the skin and temporary arterial occlusion by inflating a blood pressure cuff to high pressures. Testing can also take place in the coronary arteries themselves but this is invasive and not normally conducted unless there is a clinal reason for intracoronary catheterisation. These techniques are thought to stimulate the endothelium to release nitric oxide (NO) and possibly some other agents, which diffuse into the surrounding vascular smooth muscle causing vasodilation.

Dysfunctional endothelial cells are unable to produce NO to the same extent (or there is increased and rapid destruction of NO) as healthy endothelial cells and therefore vasodilatation is reduced. This creates a detectable difference in subjects with endothelial dysfunction verses a normal, healthy endothelium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endothelial_dysfunction

This mineral has eliminated 30 yrs of severe migraines for me. There is evidence in other research stating that we as a society are deficient. I have been giving Rebecca this in pill form, but I think I will go back to the Ionic since this is absorbed directly into the cells.
I see it being suggested as an alternative on many headache sites.

As I understand, it helps the blood vessels "control of volume and electrolyte content of the intravascular and extravascular spaces". We are speaking of electrolytes
in another thread, and I also was under the impression that it is the constriction and expansion of the vessels that put strain on the nerves during a headache.

I hope this is of interest to others. I thought I might start some discussion on this subject and how it might relate to seizures.

Migraines, huh?

Thank for the info Robin! My wife Renee has severe migraines. I am definitely looking into this for her. Also, from the 'epileptic's' point of view on magnesium...I have been taking it as a supplement on the advice of a nutritionist for a couple of years now. I recently ran out and had been OUT for over a week. I can tell you, I felt NOTICEALY different to the tune of a VERY excited brain with its own little 'startles' going on. I made Renee run me to the store for some Mg IMMEDIATELY the other day. As sure as I'm sitting here...500mg's calmed me right down...go figure?
I'm not going to let that one run dry any time soon! I'm also looking into other ways to incorporate magnesium more naturally so the load of pills can (hopefully) be backed off.
Good topic!

Thanks for the info Robin. Stacy's blood work showed deficient levels of magnesium a long time ago and she has been taking magnesium supplements ever since. I knew that it was critical for proper brain function, but I was not aware of the connection to regulating blood sugar. That is very interesting as she has been borderline hypoglycemic since forever. In her case, it would appear on the surface that the issue might be related to the magnesium deficiency.

BTW, follow the choo choo train of linked threads for more discussion on magnesium and seizures.

When I lost control of my szs in 92 and left Montreal and returned to NYC I saw Dr Orrin Devinsky , he put me on magnesium and a multi vitamin and vit c and b complex. He told me the epilepsy meds depleted me of the vitmains I needed and I had to take this regualry. Been doing that since 92.

The Drs at the MOntreal Nuerolgical Instuite didn't believe I needed the vitamins. But I did so much better with them . So I didn't listen to them,to me they were out of touch.

Riva

Here is another connection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endothelium-derived_relaxing_factor

Endothelium-derived relaxing factor (EDRF) was the name given to factors produced by the endothelium that resulted in smooth muscle relaxation. The major endothelial derived relaxing factor was later discovered to be nitric oxide (NO). It is released by the vascular endothelium in response to a variety of chemical and physical stimuli. It causes the smooth muscle in the vessel wall to relax by activating the soluble guanylate cyclases (sGC), increasing the cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) concentration and activating the protein kinase G, resulting in vasodilation. It is also the active substance absorbed into the blood stream by people using nitroglycerin tablets or spray under their tongue, by patch, pill or intravenous infusion of nitroglycerin.

Endothelium also produces prostacyclin (PGI2), Endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor, and heme proteins can stimulate the inducible isoform of Heme oxygenase (HO-1 also known as heat shock protein 32) which produces Carbon monoxide which can relax smooth muscle. These are distinct compounds by a number of physicochemical and pharmacological criteria.

EDRF was discovered and characterized by Robert F. Furchgott, a winner of the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1998 with his co-researchers Louis J. Ignarro and Ferid Murad.

Nitric Oxide is found in beets.

Seems to me that a good direction in brain health would be to keep the blood flow adequate. There are far too many connections in my family that make me feel Rebecca's seizures are similar to our migraine history. Vessels, nerves, abnormal synchronization of electrical neuronal activity... oddly seem closely connected.

Sorry Bernard:
I should always check it there are other threads started. Sometimes I lose track of them, but I should check to keep the info all in one place. I get so excited about something that I have learned, my thoughts bounce around trying to make sense of them all.
Thanks for linking back to that.

Last edited:
Speber- I also feel noticably different when I am not regularly taking my mag. I have tried to function on a pill form of cheletated magnesium, and it works OK. I do believe the Ionic form worked the best. The body has to change the pill form into an ionic form for the cells to absorb it. So to have it readily available to the cell immediately is a plus, and much less gets eliminated (if you know what I mean). However my doctor says if you are having difficulty with elimination, the pill form is a great natural way to help this.

I also checked into natural ways to incorporate this as well, but what I was reading is, our soils are becoming depleted of the mineral, not sure if our industrial way of farming is causing this, but the plants usually absorbing it are not doing so.
I have also read that it is almost at a epidemic level of need. Most people have the sense that we need calcium, yet they don't know that mag actually is more important. Calcium is stored in the bones, and yet magnesium is not. Any excess is eliminated. It seems it needs calcium to be absorbed but I can't remember if it needs to be taken separately (not at the same time). I need to find that info again.

The latest government study shows a staggering 68% of Americans do not consume the recommended daily intake of magnesium. Even more frightening are data from this study showing that 19% of Americans do not consume even half of the government’s recommended daily intake of magnesium.34 Is it any wonder that disability and death from heart attack and stroke are the nation’s leading killers?

While the government officially refuses to recognize the effects of magnesium in preventing vascular disease, the National Institutes of Health does publish the following on its website:

“Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.”35

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=9523054&dopt=AbstractPlus

Gosh we were talking about serotonin somewhere else...

Last edited:
I adore BEETS!

I love them so much that I
will eat them pickled, out of the can,
hot, cold, salad, peeled and steamed.
Unfortunately - I'm the ONLY one in
my household that likes it therefore
I can eat the whole blasted thing
just like a kid can clean out the
Mega-Size Bag of Potato Chips in
one sitting ...

But there's (bleep) to pay for that!
Like Lay's says .. "You can stop with
one chip..."

CONFESSION: I have NO SELF-
CONTROL when it comes around
with BEETS!

I prefer shredded beets and carrots (fresh) on my salads. They absorb dressings and taste great.

Do you think if I put them in a smoothy I can disguise them so a teen won't notice?

You could send her to Russia for a while to eat Borst every day. :eek:

I have never liked cooked beets. Fresh beet, however, is excellent.

Well you just reminded me of a wonderful soup recipe a family member recommended. You use all root vegetables.
I put chicken in mine. It was yummy

And the BEET goes on ......

( By Sonny and Cher )

:roflmao:

arly signs of magnesium deficiency include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and weakness. As magnesium deficiency worsens, numbness, tingling, muscle contractions and cramps, seizures, personality changes, abnormal heart rhythms, and coronary spasms can occur [1,3-4]. Severe magnesium deficiency can result in low levels of calcium in the blood (hypocalcemia). Magnesium deficiency is also associated with low levels of potassium in the blood (hypokalemia) [1,19-20].

lol hmmmm :)

yup yup yup

Hmmmmm :ponder: Robin's beginning to
show signs of Doctorititis.
Angel ... quick ... Do a research and see
if there's a cure for that before Robin
becomes ONE OF THEM!

:eek:

:lol: :lol:

Sorry if that is how this thread is reading.
I just have received wonderful benefits from being shown how magnesium could help me.
A simple change for me and yet for 30 yrs no one even suggested it.
I will rest my case...

It's still helping us here so far....I REALLY appreciate the info. So simple...who knew? ;)

BRAIN....somebody outta sick Birdy on you!

Robin,

my parents are taking me to the store in a few min... we are going to go pick up some....
thank you for all your help and advice....

Love angel

Hmmmmm :ponder: Robin's beginning to
show signs of Doctorititis.
Angel ... quick ... Do a research and see
if there's a cure for that before Robin
becomes ONE OF THEM!

:eek:

:lol: :lol:

brain lol I was showing Robin that everything she was telling me about my symptoms does have a lot to do with not enough magnesium... silly girl:) :rolleyes:;)

im done with google looking up stuff for a while my brain needs a break from the pc... shes tired of telling me over and over so she says yup yup yup lol

love angel

Back
Top Bottom