magnesium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son takes 1000mg of Keppra XR at night. I want to start him on a magnesium supplement. I have ordered Jigsaw Magnesium. I was going to let him take one pill...500mg.. in the morning. I have read someplace not to take magnesium at the same time as epilepsy meds., and I have read another place where there is no drug interaction between the two. I would also like to put him on B6 since he is on Keppra, but I am worried about his getting too much of that vitamin.

Magnesium is safe to take at the same time as Keppra -- there's no problematic interaction (in fact magnesium stearate is one of the ingredients in the keppra capsule). But since for some folks magnesium supplements can cause diarrhea (if you are at too high a dose), it might be a good idea to have your son take it in the morning until he knows how he reacts to it.

Vitamin B6 is considered very safe. You can get an over-the-counter supplement for children and follow its dosing guidelines. It's also a good idea to check with your son's neurologist for the ideal dose based on his weight and age.

We see a doctor at Mayo....I had my son on B6, Fish Oil, and Vitamin E. The doctor told me to take him off all of the vitamins, that they do no good. I have been researching on my own, and the magnesium connection cannot be denied. I will tell the doctor that we are taking it, but I don't think he will approve. My thoughts are....if it is not going to hurt him and could possibly help him, why not?

I agree. And B6 is well-known to help with mood-related Keppra side effects. It's not quack science. His doctor should be aware of this.

Back
Top Bottom