Maintaining Insurance with Epilepsy Diagnosis

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to forum.

My son is 16. Developmentally disabled and elpileptic. He will never be independent. Husband between jobs. Some prospects though. On excellent Cobra until 12/2008 (paid for by former employer).

We have always been very careful not to have a break in insurance coverage to avoid the "pre-existing" condition reason for insurance coverage denial.

Someone mentioned that when my son turns 18 that we will not be able to cover him under our insurance at all and that he will have to go on medicare/medicaid.

We are also older parents and had hoped to retire by the time my son reaches 21.

I guess I always assumed we would be able to carry him under our personal insurance since he would always be dependent upon us.

Does anyone know where we might get clarification on these issues.... attorney specializing in disabilities maybe or government regulatory agencies....

thanks.

I don't know where to tell you to start other than social security at http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

However, I would advise you to START NOW. The application process can be quite drawn out. Epilepsy by itself can be difficult to get covered, however if he has other issues, he should qualify.

Again, Best of luck to you.

Hmmmm....you say that your son is also developmentally disabled. Have you considered getting a conservatorship for him? I always ask parents of teens who are developmentally disabled. Lots of times, parents don't stop and think about who will care for their child when they can't, or when they're 18 and can suddenly sign legal and binding contracts.

Hi PMc,

I hope this is helpful to you...my nephew has some learning disabilities..(aspergers syndrome a form of autism) he is fairly functioning..able to work..no driving because he cannot make good judgemnet calls and will always live with his parents. He is 25. Outwardly..he seems normal. They went to a lawyer that specializes in situations for people with disabilities. Basically he looks normal and people do not understand why his parents need to help him . His mind is more on the level of a child in some aspects. For instance..Drs. visits..the whole HPPA Act and privacy etc. His Mom and Dad need to be able to speak on his behalf..medicines, treatments his job, situations that arise...you name it. Also, someone on his behalf should something happen to them. My husband and I will be his guardians. As for the insurance...they may keep him on their insurance. They need to reapply I think each yr. The lawyer helped with all of these issues..and it is in writing.
There may even be some info. online that could help with alot of questions to write down before you see the attorney. Best of luck with everything!! And especially to your son!! : ))

Michelle : ))

I got social security disability easily and it sounds like your son should be able to get it easily too but Buckeyefan is right, you should start now because it can be a long drawn out process.

Because I was found disabled, I was able to stay on my parents' insurance even when I got older (Im 27 now) which I wouldnt normally be able to do and only when my mom lost her job did I go off insurance so I recently applied for medicaid and got it the same week.

Social security said I have to be on disability for 2 years before I qualify for medicare but medicaid is good for now.

Back
Top Bottom