Marine with Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

usmcvt

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

My husband has been recently diagnosed with epilepsy. He had one large seizure within the last month, and has several incidences of jerking/twitching (mostly at night during sleep). The dr prescribed him Keppra. He didn't have a history of seizures before this. He is also an active duty USMC Marine, due to be honorably discharged in a couple months.

All of this is very new to the both of us, and I was just wondering if anyone could share any information they might have about the military and epilepsy. We are debating the pros and cons of a med board- is it worth it? What kind of disability does he get for epilepsy? Etc.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

I don't have answers for you...just doing the :bump:!

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for info. I recently went through the same thing with the AF Reserve. My unit wanted to keep me in and use me here at home in operations. But since I was an aircrew member and couldn't fly anymore the AF dumped me despite my Commanders. I would suggest fighting them tooth and nail while he is still on AD. Once he is out it will be a never ending nightmare with the VA. They determine disability based on the frequency of seizures. He might have a chance to stay in if he has a skill that is in short supply and his condition is managed. Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Arabic language etc. i have seen alot of guys with big problems working as instructors these days. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom