Massachusetts Driving and Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey all,

Everyone has been great on here so far. I apologize if this topic is already lsited somewhere but I couldn't find it.

I am a Massachusetts driver. I had a seizure on Feb 14th, after a MRI, Blood work and a 48 hour EEG. My neurologist said some abnormal brain waves were detected coming from my left side of my brain. I don't remember the exact area. He told me the law is I can't drive for 6 months and put me on some meds. I have had 2 seizures and they have been a couple years apart and now I am medicated as of recently. I am currently abiding by the 6 month rule. However, I am suppose to self report myself. Which I have not done yet.

I want to self report because I just might be able to get my Dr to say I can drive. Massachusetts has an exception clause, although I am not 100%

My questions are if anyone would be so kind to answer are:

1. If you report yourself, does your insurance go up?

2. Are there any legal ramifications if I don't report myself? Like I said, I am abiding to the 6 month rule as of right now. I just really don't want to go through the hassle of getting it back.

I just want to know if there are any Mas drivers that have gone through this process and can they offer any advice.

Oh, one more thing. My neurologist is in Rhode Island. Massachusetts states (where my license is) it has to be a Mass licensed Dr to fill out the paper work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

It does seem complicated, doesn't it? I kept it simple: My neurologist described the self-reporting as "honor system". So, I did not self-report to the DMV, although I did wait the 6 months before driving again. I don't know if there would have been issues with my insurance, or with getting my license unsuspended.

This is what I could find about Car Insurance:

Underwriting for Car Insurance for a Disabled Driver
Each car insurance company applies its own set of underwriting rules in assessing whether to insure any individual, and determine what car insurance rates to charge. Typically, insurance underwriting will ask questions about the driver's disability to get a sense of what, if any, risks it causes. As with drivers who are not disabled, the lower the risk a disabled driver poses then the lower their premiums will be.

EXAMPLE: If you have a risk of seizures, companies will ask about the type of seizure, its severity, and the seizure free period, all of which are important variables for an underwriter to determine whether or not to insure you. Some may ask for documentation from your doctor confirming the management of the illness and a list of medication you take, to be sure it does not affect you adversely (sleepiness, effects on your vision, etc). If the seizures are manageable with medication, then you may be insurable, and get a reasonable rate on your car insurance.

If your illness or disability impairs your ability to drive, you may not be able to get car insurance. If your disability causes problems after you have received car insurance, then your insurance company can cancel your car insurance policy. So, in the example above, should you have a seizure while driving you may have your license suspended or revoked and your insurance cancelled, unless you are proven medically fit to drive.

Overall, car insurance for the disabled should not be a hassle if you are medically fit to drive.

:twocents:I've had seizures since I was 18. I'm in my mid 40s now. I have never told the state or my insurance company of my seizures. I have always been on the honor system with my doctor. If he says I cant drive then I dont drive. I have to think that if the insurance company knew about my seizures then I would become a high risk and would have to pay for that honor.:twocents:

Liability for not self-reporting is a bit cloudier. It's a grey area that really only becomes an issue if you have a seizure-related accident while driving, or if someone rats on you to the DMV. At that point, the state could suspend your license indefinitely. You would need to petition to have it reinstated, which would most likely involve a hearing where the DMV would consider medical evidence from your neurologist. If they denied a license reinstatement, you could appeal of course, but it can get expensive in terms of attorneys, etc.

If you are feeling at all nervous about this, contact a lawyer to see if you can get clarification on the enforcement of the rule.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I wish someone was on here that has completely gone through the process. I would love to get some insight on that.

Back
Top Bottom