Maybe help with Nocturnal Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KelVarQ

New
Reaction score
For those of you with nocturnal seizures they have Sleep CD's that actually work with your brain waves that induce sleep and relaxation. Now I've just started it, but I'm loving it and at least last night I didn't seize. Actually, I fell asleep rather quickly and prior to doing so I found that the music was so soothing that I felt my brain calming down or something. It was really cool! Plus, I felt my body go into total relaxation where I almost couldn't even move. Sort of sedated! It also helps for insomnia since that's really what it's used for and it's not just white noise stuff. Worth a try and to be honest I would now use it without having E since I fell asleep quick and had a good night sleep. You can google it: Delta Sleep System. Hope it's helpful.

That's great Kel! Even without music you can achieve something similar using progressive relaxation. (Basically starting at the toes and working your way up you consciously relax every muscle in the body). But music does work wonders on the brain. I don't have insomnia, but I'll check it out.

I do sometimes get insomnia, and I suspect my partner has night time seizures. Thanks for posting about this, I'll be looking into it.

I'll be looking into this too Kelvar! Awesome suggestion. This might help me a lot.

Here's the CD at Amazon.com: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005BIY7?ie=UTF8&tag=projectmana0a-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00005BIY7"]Amazon.com: Delta Sleep System: Jeffrey Thompson: Music@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31RZTTMKHAL.@@AMEPARAM@@31RZTTMKHAL[/ame]

amazon.com review said:
There are several stages of sleep which people pass through in the course of a good restful night. In each stage our sleep gets deeper, our bodies gets more relaxed and our brainwave patterns slow down. The deepest and most rejuvenating levels of sleep are associated with Delta brainwave patterns.

Delta sleep is the most physically relaxed stage of sleep and is the time when the body recuperates and rebalances itself for the new day. Getting enough sleep, but more specifically enough Delta Sleep, is essential for healthy, productive living.

Dr. Jeffrey Thompson’s breakthrough audio techniques, developed over 20 years of clinical research, are proven to increase levels of Delta brainwave activity. ...

FYI - EEG neurofeedback also attempts to normalize your Delta brain wave activity. Only, it tries to (re)train your brain so that the Delta wave activity becomes normalized permanently.

O.K. I don't want to jump the gun or anything but I've been using that CD (Delta Sleep System) and I'm happy to report that I haven't had any seizures since using it, which is pretty good! However, I'm usually good for a few nights off and then I'll seize for a few nights in a row so tonight will be a pretty good test. Now I know it's not long enough to determine if it's really working, but so far so good. There's a couple other things that I've implemented: 100% Gluten free the past few days (no cheating at all), T.V. off at night (my poor husband who likes the T.V. on) and I'm also taking an antibiotic for Lyme (I just threw that in there because maybe the seizures were due to the Lyme infection...wishful thinking?)

But, in any case I really truly believe that CD is helping me because I'm sleeping deep and sound. Prior to falling asleep I feel myself slowly and gradually falling tired (which NEVER happens) and then I'm out. I have yet to listen to the whole CD since I fall asleep prior to it ending.

Also, I was thinking that perhaps it works for those with nocturnal seizures because (I think the neuro explained it like this to me) the seizures take place during the "transition" period of going into deep sleep and waking and maybe the CD/music is actually helping one through that "transition" since it's designed to induce that deep sleep, hence calming the brain during that phase. Just a thought. I'll keep you posted and let you know if it's continuing to work. Fingers crossed : /

Something else you might want to check out is a CD called "Shamanic Dream" by Anugama. It was composed to the beat of a human heart when relaxed. I don't like the music as much as other relaxation CD's I have but after about 10 or 15 minutes I do feel more relaxed.

I don't know if this will help re. seizures or not but it's definitely something to keep in mind

http://www.anugama.com/

Definitely keep us posted about how you're sleeping K. I'm intensely interested in your review of the CD.

It's good to know about the TV thing too -- my partner has had very active nights the last few nights, and, coincidentally, the TV has been left on for a while on those nights.

Back
Top Bottom