Maybe It's The Keppra, Chantix, Or Something Else? :(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I have been peeing a lot. So far just today I have peed 10 times.
Last night I started keeping track and so I started keeping track last night.
Since 7:30pm till 11:08pm tonight I have peed 14 times.
I don't know if the Keppra does this r maybe even Chantix.
Can anyone help me? I always get UTI and or blather infections. It never go s away and alway comes back. I does hurt a little when I pee as well, but not that much unless I m jut used to it.
My back maybe in my kidney area does hurt sometimes and like in my stomach area on th sides a little. The pain isn't aways there but when I do feel it it's uncomfortable. I don't want to go to the doctor, becuase of course there going to say ya it's a bladder infection or a UTI.
I don't know if any of the two meds i take (listed above) is making me have to pee?
I have been reading online about the average person pees about 4 to 6 hrs a day, I don't know if that true or not. Would you know?
I don't drink much fluids but I try, I feel I pee more then I drink, that's is MY personal option.
Thanks for you time and help. JLogefeil
P.s-I know that this site is just for support for people with seizures, but I get so much help and answers from alot of people on this site. So thats what I poste my question. Hope ya understand :)

I'm on keppra and haven't found it increases my peeing. My husband is currently on chantix and I haven't heard him complain about peeing more so I'm going to say its probably neither of those medications. Have you had more diuretic type substances recently like tea?

I take a water pill everyday of my life with the Keppra, so I can't really tell which makes me go more. I have to take the diuretic to keep fluid from being in my lungs and around the heart since I have a heart condition.

Keppra does make me thirstier, so I drink more, so in turn I use the toilet more.

It sounds like you need to see a doctor though. If it's an infection, you might need some antibiotics. I'd pop along to the doctors.

"My back maybe in my kidney area does hurt sometimes and like in my stomach area on th sides a little. The pain isn't aways there but when I do feel it it's uncomfortable. I don't want to go to the doctor, becuase of course there going to say ya it's a bladder infection or a UTI."

That might be what it is though, or maybe even a kidney infection...in which case you need some medication.

Last edited:
I have to pee all the time anyways... But I did notice that at night I had to go several times, but that seems to have gone away, so I don't know if the Keppra played any role in that or not.

Like others have mentioned, Keppra can make one thirsty and have to go. I'm up several times a night, too and I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra. But I also have Diabetes. When first diagnosed, I was getting UTI's frequently, in addition to the constant thirst and feeling soooo tired. More so than usual.

Is your vision ok? Blurred vision was the symptom that really got me to the dr. and the optometrist is the one who made the diagnosis. But mine is Type 1, that is why the blurred vision. Type 2 can go undiagnosed without the blurred vision, but with UTI and constant urinating.

I'd say call your dr. and have it checked out.

Ive noticed that I do get up at least once, maybe twice a night to use the bathroom. But I do drink alot of water during the day and into the evening hours. I take 3000mgs of Keppra XR each day. Other than that, I really didnt think me getting up to pee in the middle of the night was from the Keppra. Ive been on Keppra since the age of 17, and havnt had any issues like this.

Chantix, the quit smoking stuff I assume? I googled because I didn't know what it was.
The website seems to suggest there are a variety of side affects (like most things, I guess!) one thing that stood out, and I know this wasn't the subject of this post, but you mentioned it before was blisters/peeling skin around the mouth.

Like I say, I don't know how long you've been taking it for, but possibly worth discussing the peeing and (if since you started taking it) mouth issue with whoever gave you the drug/a pharmacist.

Edit If you go on the Chantix website and click full prescribing information it lists frequent urination (polyuria) as a frequent side affect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom