Medicaid coverage of brand name

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Music36

Stalwart
Reaction score
I was recently approved for disability and am being put on Medicaid. I have always taken the brand names for my AEDs. I am hoping that a letter from my neurologist gets Medicaid to cover the brand names. Does anyone else have experience with this and know about the process and likely outcome?

What you need is to have a letter from your neurologist that states why it is medically necessary for you to take the brand name AED med.

You will need to have the support of you neurologist to get this letter. In my case with
"Trileptal" the generics "Oxcarbazepine" was not working for me. My insurance wanted to
pay for the lowest price med. But the generics switched from month to month. Sometimes
in the same bottle. My CPS gotten worse every month.

So my neurologist rights my Rx:

Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine)
DAW or DAO

This tells the pharmacy to fill th Rx using Trileptal.

But if it is listed like this:
(Oxcarbazepine) Trileptal
DAW or DAO

they will give you the Generic.

FYI: DAW [Dispense As Written] DAO [Dispense As Ordered]

Back
Top Bottom