Medication/co-pay costs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
:cowboy:My co-pay for my AED's was $3.
Stuff like Dilantin, Lamictical, Topamax,Depakote, Nerurontin.

I don't take AED's now but stuff for the Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I just got a script for Restatsis. Eye drops. My co-pay was $9. and I thought
wtf1.gif
?

Tonight I found out how much that 32 day supply cost.
But first let's do a little math.

It's packaged in individual vials.
Each vial is 0.4 ml
There are 32 single-use vials
That comes to roughly 2.56 TEASPOONS
at....now get this......

8ead5cc8.jpg

$253.00
th_surprise%5B1%5D.gif

Each vial is $7.91

Outrageous!:taz:

The same drug probably costs $1/vial in Canada and other countries. It's really sad how the US consumer is getting fleeced by big pharma.

Everytime I buy herbs or homeopathy med I feel like I beat the sysytem.For the first time in 41 yrs I am not buying any pharmacuiticals . It feels great and the saving is huge.
I am finally free of the Drs and pharmacuitcals!!!!!!! Yipee!!!!!!!! I can shout it from the rooftops.

Riva

Everytime I buy herbs or homeopathy med I feel like I beat the sysytem.For the first time in 41 yrs I am not buying any pharmacuiticals . It feels great and the saving is huge.
I am finally free of the Drs and pharmacuitcals!!!!!!! Yipee!!!!!!!! I can shout it from the rooftops.

Riva

:wave:
AWESOME!!!
BUT ....
I can't hear you Riva???
Oh yeah - I'm deaf!!
:zacepi:

Just Kidding! But I'm THRILLED for you! Let's
pray and hope it stays this way FOREVER!!!

:cowboy:My co-pay for my AED's was $3.
Stuff like Dilantin, Lamictical, Topamax,Depakote, Nerurontin.

I don't take AED's now but stuff for the Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I just got a script for Restatsis. Eye drops. My co-pay was $9. and I thought

Tonight I found out how much that 32 day supply cost.
But first let's do a little math.

It's packaged in individual vials.
Each vial is 0.4 ml
There are 32 single-use vials
That comes to roughly 2.56 TEASPOONS
at....now get this......

Each vial is $7.91

Outrageous!:taz:

Birdy - if it's expensive and out of range:

Several things YOU CAN DO:

If you've got close rapport with your Pharmacy,
talk to the Hand, I mean to the Main Man, the Head
Pharmacist, HE or SHE will provide you direct phone
numbers for S.O.S. aka HELP!!!!!

a) Some Pharmacies will "Sponsor" a Customer

b) Some Pharmaceuticals have programs, sponsor-
ships, et cetera - for those who cannot afford it;
and their Doctors deem it "Medically Necessary"

c) There are Federal Programs available that are
out there but the Local Head Pharmacist or the
Pharmaceutical Corporation have those info and
they will obtain such info from you and will direct
that to the agency themselves

d) Non-Profit Hospitals - Contacting their Resource
Center will provide you valuable information as well;
and there could be services available right under your
own nose all this time and you just never knew it

I have excellent prescription coverage. Being retired military I can get it on base for free or go to any drug store for a small co-pay $3, $9, or $27

In Spain, for AEDs one pays about 3 dollars per box.It has a subvention.

You notice it's ALL men. Wives are smart enough to send the hubbies! Who wants to get all sweaty and bloody?

wife : "Honey, don't forget the box of super absorbant fem products!"
husband : "Yes Dear, I can use them to pack into the hole el toro left behind"

Moo
cow.gif

co pay

My copay for medication is ridiculous, simply because I take combination medication. My monthly supply of Keppra $20, Lamictal $20, and Lyrica 200 mg $35, & Lyrica 100 mg $35. I don't know why the neuro just didn't 1 prescription of 300 mg of Lyrica, instead of prescribing 2 separate prescriptions of 200 mg and 100 mg leaving me to pay 2 copays. Pretty crappy situation if you ask me.

My copay for medication is ridiculous, simply because I take combination medication. My monthly supply of Keppra $20, Lamictal $20, and Lyrica 200 mg $35, & Lyrica 100 mg $35. I don't know why the neuro just didn't 1 prescription of 300 mg of Lyrica, instead of prescribing 2 separate prescriptions of 200 mg and 100 mg leaving me to pay 2 copays. Pretty crappy situation if you ask me.

You are right, that is stupid to have 2 scripts of the same med. Can you call the doctor and ask for the script to be changed? Tell the office manager the problem and that you aren't made out of money! Some doctors don't take cost into considerations when prescribing meds. You may even talk to the pharmisist and see if they can help you with getting the prescriptions altered.
:)

I Hate Big Pharma

Anyone had trouble on Zonisamide (generic) vs brand name 'Zonegran'?...
Because y'all haven't come CLOSE to the $$$'s they wanted from me!

My epi wanted me to do brand name, and I tried, but I'm on generic (with my fingers crossed evertime the prescription gets refilled in hopes there's not something wierd in the mix in my pills) due to the cost. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield (through my employer for now which costs ME around $900\month!). the presciptions compare as follows:

GENERIC Zonisamide is $15.00\month

BRANDNAME Zonegran $120.00\month

>>>How's the weather in Canada?...I hear it's lovely---I'm thinking REAL hard about a change in scenery! I always liked Neil Young and I always wanted to learn how to speak French anyway.
:eek:

From what I've seen, and it ain't much...there's such a very small roar about generic vs. brandname in the form of legislation (I think it's a passing mention on a different proposal's back) that I'm afraid it just doesn't register loud enough to get anything noteworthy done anytime soon. For specifics, I would have to check with the epilepsy foundation's site and do a search on it.
Right now I find myself more concerned with GETIING OFF AED'S PERIOD.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom