Medications and dental problems

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This has been bothering me for some time so I thought I would share it with you and see if any of you have had this problem. I went to my dentist recently and he told me I need a full mouth restoration. I need bone grafts and tissue grafts on both sides, top and bottom, of my teeth. I can't figure this out as to why???? I have always brushed, flossed, and gone to my dentist twice a year and they would tell me everything looked good. In fact, the time before this, they told me if everyone kept their teeth in as good shape as mine, they would be out of business. Then, I went back this time and boom! I've had a second opinion and they agree. None of my family, including parents, brothers, sisters had problems with their teeth and I couldn't figue it out. Then, this week, a possibility hit me. About 20 years ago or so, I took Dilantin, Depakote and Tegretol at different times of course but none of it helped my seizures. It was like drinking water when it came to my seizures. I'm wondering now if my dental problems that I'm having now are the side effects from taking some or all of these medications and now menopause has finished it and made it show up. It just bugs me as to why????? What did I do wrong? Has anyone had this to happen to you. Thanks for your time!

I don't know about Depakote, but sometimes tegretol and frequently dilantin can cause dental problems. The issues may not show up for quite a while when taking the medication, but you say you took them 20 years ago . . . strange the problems would show up now.

I have similar dental issues, but they started before I began taking any anti-seizure medications. Same as you, I used to get glowing reports from dentists, have always bushed 2-3 times daily, flossed1-2 times daily, used fluoride mouth rinses, don't eat a lot of sugary foods, etc. What more can one do? It got to the point where I quit going to one dentist because his hygienist kept accusing me of not brushing and flossing. The one I'm with now seems okay.
Doesn't make sense, does it?! I have read, though, that sometimes overbrushing (brushing too long and/or too hard) and overflossing can cause gum recession and therefore bone degeneration. I sometimes wonder if this is the category I fall into, but I'm not entirely convinced.
Let me know if you come up with any other answers!

I take Depakote and Tegretol, plus a few other meds now and through the years.

I don't take as good as care of my teeth as you do and I know I should. I usually only go to the dentist if I have a problem.

Over the summer some of the parts of my mouth really hurt when I brushed. I went to the dentist and found out that I had receding gum lines and had to have them fixed. My dentist said that Tegretol (I think that was the one) can cause it.

I also had a root canal a few years ago. I don't know if one of my meds could have had anything to do with that or not. The drs never said and they knew what meds I was on.

Those meds can definitely affect bones and teeth and gums, but like others said, you took them so long ago, that I'd think if they were to blame you'd have noticed before now.

That said, i've been wondering if epilepsy itself causes our bodies not to do right by us as far as bones and teeth are concerned. I'm in my early 40s and having bone issues, and I take keppra. No teeth issues yet, but I won't be surprised if it happens.

The only problems I had with my meds was when I took Dilantin as a child and had to have surgery on my gums several times and the dilatin caused my teeth to come in crooked

I could be wrong but knowing how my body reacts to medications, I wouldn't be surprised. I have a history with side effects of medications that "if it's going to happen, it will happen to me". I just wondered if it was the medications that caused SOME of the damage but not enough to cause problems and then menopause finished it later on enough to show up. Thanks everyone for your replies.

I went to my periodontist today and told him about the Dilantin, etc. I had taken many years ago. I asked him if it was possible that the medications could have caused some damage and then menopause finished it off. He told me, "The dilantin is your culprit." He then explained how it damages our teeth and bones while we are taking it and some of it is irreversible. So I damaged my teeth for nothing! I took this medication and it was like drinking water as for helping my seizures. Just wanted to let others.

I went to my periodontist today and told him about the Dilantin, etc. I had taken many years ago. I asked him if it was possible that the medications could have caused some damage and then menopause finished it off. He told me, "The dilantin is your culprit." He then explained how it damages our teeth and bones while we are taking it and some of it is irreversible. So I damaged my teeth for nothing! I took this medication and it was like drinking water as for helping my seizures. Just wanted to let others.

Did he explain how it is that damage would show up now, 20 years later, and not while you were taking it?

I took Dilantin years ago and started having gingivitis and problems with my gums. I took Dilantin for 8-10 years. I saw my dentist every three months over the years because of all the changes in meds and problems (still do). I'm scheduled to have another crown put on my back tooth next week. Can't remember how many times I've had it done.

http://dentistry.about.com/od/issuesandemergencies/a/dilantin.htm

As with most medication, side effects are associated with the use of Phenytoin.
Considered a common side effect associated with Dilantin use, signs of gingival overgrowth and enlargement usually begin to appear one to three months after the introduction of the medication and tends to only involve the gum tissue that is firmly attached to the teeth and bone; known as attached gingiva. Patients experiencing gingival overgrowth may experience the following:

Enlargement of the interdental papilla especially in the anterior or front of the mouth
As the tissue begins to enlarge, it may become more fibrotic, or dense

Inflammation in areas of enlarged tissue may begin to interrupt speech, eating, and esthetics

Painful areas in the mouth, bleeding gums, tooth movement, and changes in the occlusion or how the teeth bite together are common

Enlarged gingival tissue may begin to impose on the crown of the tooth. This causes the patient difficulty when trying to brush and floss the teeth thoroughly

Tooth decay and periodontal disease may become more prevalent due to the interference of the excessive gum tissue

Did he explain how it is that damage would show up now, 20 years later, and not while you were taking it?

He explained it but he used such medical terms it was Greek to me. It caused receding gums and then receding gums causes more problems which one is bone loss. From what I could get out of his explanation was, it is irreversible. Once that bone loss has occurred, it will not repair itself. The only way to get it repaired is by bone grafts. As I stated, he used such medical terms so that I could have misunderstood but he did say, "The dilantin is your culprit" and I'm quoting him on that. You can do a google search for Dilantin long term side effects and it will tell you a lot.

Hello! I've been suffering from dental problems since I've started taking meds. I've been on Tegratol (?!) & currently on Sodium Valproate & Keppra. My gums are always sore & because of that I've not been able to brush my teeth properly. Now, I've probably got around 13 teeth left in my gob! Receding gums are making my teeth wobbly...but my dentist hasn't clicked on about the connection. By the way, a friend of mine used to work in A&E & she told me most people who have come into casualty who have had nasty fits, haven't got many teeth left in their head. So, I do think this is a problem, but nothing is stated on the leaflets that accompany any tablets.

Last edited:
If you are on a disability plan or something along those lines where your coverage will pay for things such as that, they might be blowing things out of proportion, or jumping the gun.

Can't hurt to get a second opinion.

However a quick search does show up that calcium issues may arise with the dilantin. I had a similar dental decay acceleration issue, due to other reasons related to dry mouth. I simply wasn't aware of how dry my mouth was, and to bring that forward into your consciousness can help.

Another little known fact is that your mouth has the ability to heal itself. Yes, I know, it sounds strange but perhaps if you solve your calcium issues, or whatever your issue is exactly you may be able to curb and reverse any damage instead of going ahead with surgeries. Depending on the details of the issue.

A quick search tells me that "Recaldent" may be of interest or something to bring up with a health professional.

About 20 years ago or so, I took Dilantin, Depakote and Tegretol at different times of course but none of it helped my seizures.

If that is the last time you took those drugs, I seriously and confidently doubt that they have anything to do with your current situation. However, you never know for sure.

Me personally, I think it is an effect of menopause, or the effect may be compounded by menopause, and I'd make an appointment with a general practitioner to discuss osteoporosis risk. That's me though.

Last edited:
Hi Julie --

Tegretol and Keppra aren't known to cause dental issues, but Valproate has been linked to gum overgrowth (which can lead to gum and tooth problems when the gums recede). Ask your neuro about options for changing meds if he thinks the Valproate is causing problems. Also a good idea to see your dentist twice a year if you can afford it, to keep on top of any issues.

Hi KathyJJ!! Medication over dose can cause all these troubles. When I went to a dentist who was a newbie, he gave me strong Medication for my toothache and it troubled me a lot. Then my friend suggested me going to dentist Torrance and he fixed my teeth problems properly.

Last edited:
The reason why is because Dentists are salesmen and often are eligible for retirement 5 years after their student loans are paid off. Don't trust any dentist who tells you that you need a full mouth restoration because I can guarantee you he just bought a yacht and needs you to help pay it off.

I was recently told the same thing and quoted a price of $2300 AFTER insurance. I needed this and that and specialty this and specialty that....all stuff that MUST be fixed STAT! Well, I live in So Cal and my parents have a wonderful dentist in Algodones, Mexico so I went to see her and turns out all I needed was a simple cleaning and a couple fillings replaced. Yes, anticonvulsants are hard on teeth and gums but at the same time...I'll never trust a dentist/salesman.

Unfortunately BrandiBrat could be right about this. I would definitely get a second or third opinion before jumping in to anything so major.

I would definitely get a second opinion, but I will also tell you what my hygienist said, as well as what happened to my stepbrother. It may help!

I was on dilantin for roughly six years and only had gum overgrowth. That being said, I've never had a cavity in my life and I have to pull my teeth (ha!) to floss. I recently went in for a teeth cleaning after about ten years of not having it done (no kidding! Amazingly, my dentist said I have the most amazing teeth, which is the only positive thing I have going for me) and the hygienist said that dilantin notoriously destroys teeth and gums. Furthermore, my stepbrother was on a very low dose of dilantin for a year and had to have surgery on his mouth due to what the dilantin did-- his gums were destroyed by the medication. Why? My hygienist said it is a. the medication and b. genetics. Someone like me is just genetically predisposed to having strong teeth (and gums!)-- literally nothing anyone can do about that. So, let's say you're genetically wired for gingivitis, dilantin is a killer for the gums.

If it's any consolation, I have a very bad heart so if the dentist even looks at my teeth I have to take a week's worth of antibiotics. You win some and you lose some.

I was on dilantin about 15 years ago for about a year or a year and a half...not exactly sure, but the dilantin made my hair fall out and my teeth lose. That was why I went off it. It never controlled my seizures anyway. I already had a mouth full of crowns and when I went back to the dentist one of the helpers told my dentist that I had not been taking care of my gums and he told her it was from the meds. The receding gums stopped after I went off the meds.

Was re-reading this thread and wondered, why would all those teeth problems be related to dilantin if a person stopped taking it 20 years ago?

Is that possible? That a person takes a drug and stops, and then 20 years later as some sort of other side effect (like the teeth issues) that only shows up that much later?

I know dilantin causes gum issues and can causes bone loss, but that sort of delay sounds odd to me. Anyone ever hear how that would work or if such a thing is possible, or was the OP's dentist just not very educated or possibly scamming her??

Thank you everyone for your replies. I apologize for not responding sooner but I hadn't received an email notification that told me I had new replies until today. Now, about my teeth, I had the surgeries and I am finished with them all. I got a second opinion and I was told the same and in fact, they showed me the "pockets" under my teeth which I had never had before. I had been wondering what the "dark places" at the top of some of my teeth were and they told me and showed me it is what they call "pockets". Now I go and have them cleaned every three months trying to keep this from happening again. I don't mind this at all. After I put that kind of money into my mouth, I am definitely going to let them clean them regularly and not take any chances. I had rather be safe than sorry. As far as why 20 years later, I don't really know and it may not really be from the medications that long ago. But, the main thing is, it happened and needed repairing. Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom